SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kat_n_tx

Dryer Heat Element Failure Questions

Kat
6 years ago

The appliance is Fisher & Paykel top load Dryer (DEGX1 US 96010-B): I stopped the dryer when I heard a rubbing sound while it was running; when opened, there was an odor similar to something burning. There was no odor outside of the dryer prior to opening the door. The inlet cover was hot to the touch. Thinking it was a bad bearing; I decided make an inspection and remove the 11yr accumulation of fluff & dust while the dryer was taken apart. The photos of the heating elements; one has obvious problems with the coiled wires. 4-5 were broken, sprung and wrapped around the remaining intact wires of both elements. My questions are:

1. Are broken wires typical of how an element goes bad? Or is this a random occurrence?

2. The dryer has several trip thermostats; the Service Manual specifically states - the manual reset thermostat should trip if there is a fault in the product, or a failure develops. In this situation, shouldn't an extensively deteriorated element have caused the t-stat to trip (stopping the machine)?

3. Could this have caused a fire if I hadn't stopped the dryer when I heard the rubbing sound? This answer might help others who might otherwise continue to allow the dryer to run.

4. Should the dryer be taken apart to clean and inspect on some type of regular schedule? If yes, how often?

Thank you for all answers/comments/suggestions.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting