SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillanntn6b

R. x fortuniana doesn't go dormant in winter

stillanntn6b
6 years ago

When people with more money than patience, were spending thousands of dollars trying out roses on fortuniana, I chose to plant a fortuniana and see if it would live on my property. Eighteen years later it's still alive. The very woody stems are tall and the one cane that came down with RRD twelve feet from the roots didn't send the virus into the roots and the plant has shown no further signs of RRD five years later.

So I tried four bushes on fortuniana and three more the following year.

Mine didn't do well. It wasn't a question of rootstock, exactly, but of the roots pushing growth twelve months of the year. New growth in Dec, , Jan. Feb and March gets killed in my gardens. And that weakens the scion. It wasn't a problem of how cold it got, but how the cold destroyed new growth. And destroyed new growth lets assorted fungi and bacteria into the bush.

I am too lazy to grow roses in large pots. I did successfully grow twelve different minis in appropriately sized pots until a mature (30' tall) maple fell on them. I took that as a sign.

I will continue to envy roses I see near the Gulf Coast and in Florida on Fortuniana. It's an envy I can live with.

Comments (9)