SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

R. x fortuniana does get Rose Rosette

anntn6b
11 years ago

My small tree sized fortuniana, which I have had for over ten years, which we mow past every week in summer and every two weeks in October (when we have a lot less rain) has just shown one of the ugliest Rose Rosette infested canes I have ever seen.

We doubt that it was there this summer, and though September we mowed within ten inches of the growth weekly.

Today, Larry went out to split wood and saw it.

Da**ed growth is huge. It's so dense that when we cut it off one of the cats hiding in back of it couldn't be seen. IT's one of the most comples witches' brooms I've ever seen with some of the excess laterals going out five feet, some making multiple breaks at individual leaf axils, some just looking "Little Leaf", and in all sorts of different colors from deep red to lighter red to chlorotic green. A real lesson in "there is no single symptom set".

I had cleared out this bush last spring and pruned it up and let it grow on the two walnut trees it's coexisted with for quite a while. I thought I'd pruned it enough to let winds blow through it. The axil that seems to have caught it is on the underside, downwind.

Roses at this time of year ARE slowing down, except for this one. Excessive growth is/was there.

And (also interestingly) we've had cold enough temps to damage soft green growth in nearby weeds, but the really fresh new (and sick) growth on this fortuniana has shown no damage from the freezes.

Comments (15)