SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranefire

Sources and recommendations for Rosa rugosa?

cranefire
6 years ago

I've been a frequent visitor to the maritime Canadian provinces over the last twenty years, and I've always been impressed by the wild rugosa roses that grow so prolifically there. I'm going to be landscaping a fairly modest-sized area next to a garage on my neighbor's property. He'd prefer something fairly formal, but has basically given me carte blanche to do whatever I like. He likes roses, and has mentioned dwarf Alberta spruce. I myself am not a fan of hyper-bred cultivars of "fancy" roses and their special requirements, and would rather like to use rugosas along with the Alberta spruces to create a garden that's a compromise between formal and rambling. There would be at least three spruces, with a taller one in the center and shorter ones to the sides of it, all interplanted with the roses.

Can any rugosa growers recommend any of the less vigorous varieties that might work best for this concept? I'm looking for one white variety and perhaps a pale pink one as well. Also, can anyone recommend catalog sources for rugosas in general. Thanks!

Comments (28)