SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alanna_migliacci

Shasta Gold, Sumo, Mandarins, oh my!

Alanna Migliacci
6 years ago

This afternoon, I was debating starting a thread about my desire* for a Shasta Gold and my inability to find one - *based on a few internet reviews and Brian's love of his beautiful tree. I was (again) perusing the internet and debating about which mandarin varieties to add to my container collection.

I let it go and went to run some errands. I stopped at shoprite and they had both Sumo's and Shasta Gold - I couldn't believe it. I bought a few of each, $1-1.25 each. I ate way too many tonight and I was disappointed in the Shasta. It was very tangy, yet sweet. Not as easy to peel, but not bad and had tough membranes. But several bites, the flavor wasn't good - almost like an unripe or off orange. It was odd and I'm not sold on it now. Anybody else have experience with Shasta Gold? Or how they compare to Yosemite Gold?

The Sumo was great tasting, sweet, easy to peel, with delicate membranes and large in size. It tasted like a really good 'clementine' - meaning any mandarin variety marketed as a clementine. This was a good one. I do have to say that I was slightly disappointed, not because it wasn't good, but because I read so much about how great they were. I think my expectations were too high. Or perhaps, I didn't get great specimens of either one?

I love mandarins and I'd love to extend the growing season as much as possible, but want I have and want I want seems to have a lot of overlap. I currently have a Tango (ripe from Jan-April) and a Miho Wase Satsuma (Nov-Dec), no fruit yet for either. I'm set on a Shiranui (Feb-April) and a Golden Nugget (Feb-July), they seem universally loved. Based on recommendations by people here, I was debating about a Lee x Nova, Yosemite or Shasta gold or really any variety that somebody claims in great.

In my opinion a mandarin should be sweet, seedless (as much as possible), delicate membranes/not tough, and easy to peel. I will give up some of that ease for great flavor. I can handle a little tang, but it needs to be sweet - I don't want an orange.

Any must have mandarins I am missing? Should I be looking at more basic 'clementines' such as Algerian Clementine, Clemenules, another satsuma variety - there are so many Satsumas out there? Anybody want to tell me that I got some bad Shastas and need to give them another try?

Mandarin loves please help

Comments (29)