SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dicot_gw

Dekomon/Sumo mandarin madness

dicot
13 years ago

Not sure if others have heard the hype, the LA Times has been touting the Japanese dekomon mandarin, trademarked as Sumo, as the finest tangerine of any sort and maybe the best citrus fruit of any cultivar. LAT story is attached.

So I found then today at Mitsuwa market, $1.69 each, and I got a few, determined to compare to my Gold Nuggets, which have been incredible this year. It's 3rd season planted here, to the right of my Kishu.

{{gwi:503867}}

So the Sumo is huge, twice the size of my gold nugget, as big as most oranges. The scent from both was an intense citrus bite, but the Sumo is sightly sweeter with a nice undercurrent of something I've never tasted before, but is distinctly Asian. The gold nugget is more intensely "tangerine" and really almost as sweet as the Sumo. There's something here I prefer more, the GN makes my lips tingle and I can imagine making a fantastic liqueur from it's peels - I should try a margarita with the juice - and I have already used the GN in deserts that I quite liked.

Can't go wrong either way, I guess was my conclusion. And that I really like tangerines!

Here is a link that might be useful: dekopon

Comments (19)