SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isherwood777

bird food

6 years ago

Where do you purchase your bird food? On the internet for delivery to your house? From a big box store? From a locally owned store?

Comments (41)

• 6 years ago

I look for sales locally.

tj

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • 6 years ago

Hi Pat! I won't buy most of the seed from Walmart because that brand has "vitamins", etc. But they do sell a big bag of the Audubon seed, which I sometimes get. I usually buy most of my seed from the Tractor Supply Company. You have to be careful there too, because some of the seed has additives. Many times I buy various types of seed and mix it myself. Sometimes I even buy the black oil sunflower seed from Kroger (grocery). I haven't ever bought it online, since it seems the weight might make it expensive (for the shipping cost). Also, I like to look things over first. But if I couldn't get to the store easily, I might consider buying it online.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked catherinet
  • Related Discussions

Ceraria Pygmaea - bird food???

Q

Comments (7)
    I feel your pain. There are zillions of squirrels all around my apartment. They'll occasionally take a bite out of a leaf (their favorite is Pleiospilos nelii), but the real frustration comes from them burying seeds in my pots! Not only do they wreak havoc digging the holes, but now I've got loquat seedlings popping up in all of my larger pots! On a slightly related topic, does anyone know the toxicity of Adromischus? About a month ago, I found my tiny little A. alstonii missing about half its leaves. Right next to the pot was a dead bird. Coincidence? or a poisoning? I can only speculate.
    ...See More

Why no color to humming bird food

Q

Comments (3)
    Red food coloring is completely unnecessary and potentially harmful to the hummers. How do you think your kidneys would react if you drank 5 gallons of red Koolaid a day? And don't waste your money on the man-made nests.
    ...See More

pigeon eating all my bird food

Q

Comments (1)
    Hang feeders without a tray-with pegs only. That should keep them feeding from what you put on the ground, although they may attempt to land, they won't be able to perch for long. Oh, and that is a spectacular photo!
    ...See More

Bird Food waste

Q

Comments (12)
    in bad weather i do get a lot of ground feeders such as the doves and juncos and towhees and some others and i purposely go to the farm supply or ranch and feed store and get a 50lb bag of chicken feed for around 8.50 a bag. It is a mix of grains most often milo and cracked corn and wheat. i put out a cup or two on the sheet or on the ground for the hungry birds. some people call them trash birds but i enjoy any one that wants to come and eat.
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Walmart and Amazon seem to be having an on-line orders war. A few minutes ago Pennington Classic Wild Bird Feed and Seed, 40 lbs was 18¢ cheaper at Amazon. Recently I have getting free shipping for orders over $25.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • 6 years ago

I get free shipping on Amazon also, and some of my bird food is from a local superstore. Due to the lack of business at all my feeders, I'm thinking maybe the generic BOSS I've been getting isn't the same quality I might get elsewhere. I've read somewhere that there can be smaller BOSS with less nutrition in some cheaper brands. So, I'm going to either drive to our local Wild Birds Unlimited or order from Duncraft on-line. Not sure where my current BOSS is from (threw the bags out), but I'm only interested in big, fat USA sunflower seed.

Thanks for your responses.

• 6 years ago

I think Pennington is the brand that has the additives.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

1 hour ago

catherinet"

I think Pennington is the brand that has the additives.

Thank you for this useful information. I will make it a point to always buy Pennington in the future.

• 6 years ago

Pennington was or is made or promoted by Cornell Lab of Ornith.

• 6 years ago

albert.....I don't understand what you are saying. Birds don't need additives to their seed.

• 6 years ago

Mail order companies (Duncraft, Fosters and Smith, etc.) for seed are so expensive when you look at the cost per pound...plus shipping. I get my seed from a local co-op. A 50 lb bag of black-oil sunflower goes from 35-$40. You'll pay much more than that ordering on when you evaluate cost per pound. I've also bought it from box stores such as Fred Meyer.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked whwo
  • 6 years ago

I just realized that my local Meijer has Kaytee seeds for a reasonable price. whwo, do you think that is a good brand?

• 6 years ago

Kaytee brand puts nutrient additives (calcium carbonate, vitamin A, vitamin D) into their seed, which wild birds don't need. You'll probably end up paying more than you would for regular old bird seed. However, if that is all you have around you to get, it will be okay for the birds.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked whwo
  • 6 years ago

"... puts nutrient additives (calcium carbonate, vitamin A, vitamin D) into their seed, which wild birds don't need...." Why do they do that?

• 6 years ago

Some birdseed companies who advertise that they have added nutrients, say that birds don't get good enough nutrition, or not balanced nutrition in seed. I stay away from that because birds don't need stuff like that, especially if you plant so that they continue to get weed/flower/tree seeds throughout the winter. And if you plant the right plants, you really don't need to feed them extra seed in summer either. But.....I found on the "Cole's Wild Bird Seed" website a great explanation of why it is unnecessary and even futile to add (spray) vitamins and minerals onto birdseed. I think it's just a marketing ploy.

Here's what they had to say:

"While it is true that poor nutrition negatively impacts a wild bird’s
    lifespan, adding vitamins and minerals to wild bird feed does little to
    help your feathered friends. Companies that tout “vitamin fortified”
    bird seed neglect to mention that the vitamins are only sprayed on the
    hull, or shell, of the seed and do not penetrate into the seed itself.
    So, once a bird cracks open and discards the shell, any potential for
    increased nutritional benefit is lost.

Additionally, many of those added vitamins are synthetically made instead of naturally sourced.

Finally, as mentioned in one of the other answers, feeder foraging
    only accounts for at most 25% of a wild bird’s diet. They still get
    roughly 75% of all their nutritional needs from everything else that
    they eat in the wild. There is no scientific proof that “fortifying” the
    little bit of food scavenged from backyard feeders does anything at all
    to increase a wild bird’s lifespan."

• 6 years ago

Wow. I'm glad I asked that question. No wonder some foods are so expensive. But the Pennington is sanctioned by Cornell Lab, so I wonder why they think it is necessary. I am qoing to inquire about that. Thank you so much, catherinet and whwo.

• 6 years ago

> catherinet

>> ''...birds don't need stuff like that."

>>> ''...once a bird cracks open and discards the shell, any potential forincreased nutritional benefit is lost.''

They don't need it and they don't get it. Reads like a wash.

• 6 years ago

It makes the company feel better about upping the price, or "fooling the public" into thinking they're getting something better than just "ordinary" birdseed.

• 6 years ago

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

• 6 years ago

Hmmm.....such a strange response albert. I try to be as natural as possible and do the same for animals.

• 6 years ago

I've spent a lot of time researching this subject and I've decided on Lyric Supreme bird food and will order it delivered until I can find a local source. It has no vitamins or artificial flavors or dyes, so we'll see how the birds like it. I thank ya'll for your comments and help.

• 6 years ago

Hi Pat. Be sure to let us know what you think of it after you start using it. Enjoy your birds!

• 6 years ago

Hi Catherine. I've got to get through the seed I currently have (Kaytee Songbird) because I simply can't afford to throw out whatever I have because I think I need something better. This is getting expensive. The birds are probably ignoring my feeders for that reason. I hope I settle on the Lyric. I really appreciate your words about the extra vitamins, etc. I think that is what these forums should be about -- sharing.

I will let you know what happens.

• 6 years ago

I buy 90% of my bird seed from my local feed mill store. Yesterday, I bought a 50 lb bag of BOSS (around $22 before tax) and 50 lb bag of roasted peanuts (around $56 before tax). My local feed mill also had suet 10-packs on sale for $5 a box! I've already bought 5 boxes and the birds love them!

For the record, I'm not a fan of Amazon. I only use their site for reviews but I've also found they aren't always cheaper. I much prefer Walmart over Amazon.

I do buy a couple treats for the birds from Dr Foster and Smith online but I'll never buy bulk seed online - it's too $$.

I do buy my thistle from Walmart. It's always fresh that the price is right. I've had thistle go bad in the past and this stuff is not cheap. So far the stuff from Walmart has never went bad/dried out on me.

As for the "added nutrients" - I've never come across or given thought to this with regards to birdseed (?)

Here's a pic I snapped yesterday with my phone. It's blurry but boy do those cardinals stand out! And I love the finches. They bring me joy.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked FeatherBee
  • 6 years ago

Feather, what a great picture!

• 6 years ago

And about the Lyric Supreme bird food, Catherine. It is probably the finest mix I have ever fed, but the family of Cooper's Hawks in my neighborhood is preventing much wild bird feeding of any kind. I am waiting for some leaves to pop out and the planting of some new trees and bushes for better cover. Such a bummer all winter. Big sigh.

• 6 years ago

That is a bummer, Pat. I hope the hawk doesn't get any of them, and they keep hiding. One year, I had a cooper's hawk sit quite a bit away from the feeder, but always kept it's eye on it. I think it got a slow dove once. It's not a nice feeling to attract a bird to the seed, and then have that happen. But you know.......nature isn't kind or fair and everybody's got to eat...........I just don't want to see it! But I'm glad you found a bird food you really like!

• 6 years ago

Beautiful picture gyr_falcon!

• 6 years ago

Thanks, catherinet.

• 6 years ago

I just want to pipe in and say that Lyric Supreme is not my fave bird food anymore. After doing a lot of reading and observing my own bird situation, I see that all the corn and nut pieces and various small seeds in packaged bird food mixes is either going to waste here or getting so spoiled as to be really dangerous for my critters. Nobody eats it and it gets wet on the ground or in the feeders and it's just a waste of money for me. So I mix my own bird food of BOSS, striped sunflower, and safflower -- things that have a shell to stay a little dryer in the feeders. If my sweet little native Sparrows don't like that mix, I may buy some white millet to add but Cornell says they should eat the BOSS, so we'll see.

• 6 years ago

FeatherBee, fortunately, you commented above about Amazon vs Walmart and I want to ask you another question, please. I order my C&S Peanut Delight suet cakes from Walmart when I am too lazy to go to a Walmart store to buy them. They are the very favorite of my orioles, grosbeaks, and all the birds that I get. I just waste money when I put anything else out. Amazon also has them and I have free Prime shipping at Amazon. However, Amazon just notified me today that Prime has gone up to $59. I order a lot of stuff because I am old and love getting free shipping, I think most of the stuff I order can also be had at Walmart, just have a sour taste in my mouth for the purported way Walmart treats their staff. Can you add anything to why you prefer Walmart over Amazon? I need help. Also, just FYI, I'll be switching bird seed exclusively to safflower after realizing how much grass and plants I have lost to sunflower shells over the years. Also, Walmart used to free-deliver my husband's Ensure medical drinks at a much reduced price last year, so I do know they can be much more reasonable in many prices. Anything you can add?

Pat

• 6 years ago

Pat, Walmart and Amazon are still having delivery wars. So one may shop for the 'better' deal or stay with a comfortable pattern. You seem to have a comfortable pattern with Walmart so that is probably where you want to continue.

We keep our shopping list on Amazon and can still get free shipping without paying for prime by gaming the system a bit. If one finds everything they need I see no reason not to actually prefer Walmart.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • 6 years ago

Pat z6 SEMich - Hi Pat, I just noticed your question about Walmart vs. Amazon.

A couple years back I was shopping for rug pads and decided to purchase from Amazon over Home Depot because I'd save money not paying sales tax. Fast forward a week or two and Amazon still had NOT shipped my order. I was furious. They want people to pay their ridiculous Prime fee when you can buy from places like HD or Walmart that will typically ship items out right away. I had to postpone putting furniture back out (after new floors went in) because I was waiting on Amazon to ship my rug pads. I bought them two weeks before I needed them and was still waiting. That's unacceptable. I always go out of my way to buy elsewhere when possible (eBay, Walmart, Wayfair, local, etc.).

Also, Amazon is NOT always cheaper like most assume. Amazon is a convenience for most. I prefer Walmart because if I need to return an item I can return to the store which is one mile away from me. With Amazon you have to ship items back (total hassle).

Walmart has made an effort to start selling more American made products and hire Vets. They even had a commercial of people praying a while back (something that is rarely seen today). They are far from perfect but I do see them trying and I much prefer Walmart over Amazon any day of the week.

I typically only use Amazon for reviews. If I do find an item on there that is the lowest cost then I always just make sure I have 1-2 weeks to wait for delivery. Some of their items have shipped quicker, but those rug pads I bought sure pissed me off.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked FeatherBee
  • 6 years ago

albert and Feather, I appreciate your comments very much.

Today I went to our local WalMart and they did not have the C&S "Peanut Delight" suet I wanted, they did have "Suet Pieces or Treats" but that's not what I want. So, another reason to order on-line (so much for shopping local). Also I noticed when I got home the safflower seed i bought there is from India. Really? Now, maybe it is great, but I'm only interested in made-in-the-USA stuff. So since my Amazon Prime doesn't expire until February of 2019, I will continue to shop around on the internet. Yes, I've had good luck with free shipping orders from Target.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes, Bed Bath, Kohl's, etc., so this fat old lady won't be making trips to stores that don't have what I want in stock. Lesson learned.

You guys were very helpful.

• 6 years ago

Um , , , , , er . . . . about the safflower replacing the sunflower bird food. Not all the birds who like sunflower really like safflower. So, I, er, lost a lot of birds, like the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (who are SUPPOSED

• 6 years ago

to like safflower). So I will simply shovel under the sunflower feeders instead of tossing the shells out into the lawn like I did. I'm 77 and maybe I'll get it all together before I bite the dust.

• 5 years ago

Chewy.com is where I like to buy the better bird feeds plus Free Shipping makes it

worthwhile. They sell Wagner's Greatest Variety Seed which attracts many colorful

varieties of birds that don't come around for the cheap seed. 2 day free ship to your

door makes it convenient for me.

I started using Chewy when I bought dog and cat food from them. Excellent customer service too.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked mr1010
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

fat soluble vitamins A, D, ...

[PDF]

An Overview of Pet Bird Nutrition - Iowa State University Digital ...

lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3278&context=iowastate...

by SE O'Brien - ‎1988 - ‎Related articlesProteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals are essential elements in the diet of a healthy bird. When a deficiency occurs, the body's ability to resist ...

✔ ✔

• 5 years ago

None of the birds that visit my feeder seem to like cracked corn, or wheat, or much millet etc., so all of that and the sunflower hulls just accumulate on the deck or in the flower beds. So now I feed straight HULLED sunflower...more expensive perhaps,but there is NO waste and no spring cleanup. I buy large bags at the local farm supply store where it is a bit less expensive than at places such as Wild Birds Unlimited. Add a few suet blocks and a niger feeder and everyone seems happy and well fed.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked jan_on zone 5b
  • 5 years ago

jan, EXACTLY my experience!

• 5 years ago

albert, I think that article only refers to pet birds, no?

• 4 years ago

I think it depends on what kind of food you want to buy for your bird.

I often look for bird convenience stores around the locality. However, it is quite a bit, only a little chestnut or sunflower seeds. It doesn't quite have everything.

So I also combined with searching on good websites on amz. They provide a really good and fast service. Anyway, choose a reputable place that you feel confident about

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area