Bird Food waste

grinder12000

I always seethe same stuff in the feeder when it's almost empty, tiny orange ball seeds - what are those and what birds eat them - none of MY birds like those tiny orange marbles.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donald lucius

milo is small orange bb size balls they are from the corn family. And used a lot in livestock feeds and silage made from the plants. It is used a lot in bird seed mixes as a filler and a lot of the birds have trouble cracking it and leave it unlees there is nothing else. Some birds such as pigeons and doves and blackbirds and grackles do eat it, when i lived at the farm we would soak milo or cracked corn or wheat and the ducks and geese and chickens loved it about half fermented.

Save    
grinder12000

Well we have a lot of and doves and blackbirds and grackles mallards and pheasants that hang out under the feeder so I'll just dump it on the ground then - thanks!

Save    
donald lucius

i do have a couple large aluminum baking sheets like the bakers or military use. i use one under the feeders when it's muddy or snowy so the birds can get the seed easily. there are always doves or blackbirds or juncos or other birds that eat from the ground and i put the seeds on the sheet but when its dry i just sprinkle some on the ground and the birds scratch for it

Save    
donald lucius

in bad weather i do get a lot of ground feeders such as the doves and juncos and towhees and some others and i purposely go to the farm supply or ranch and feed store and get a 50lb bag of chicken feed for around 8.50 a bag.
It is a mix of grains most often milo and cracked corn and wheat. i put out a cup or two on the sheet or on the ground for the hungry birds. some people call them trash birds but i enjoy any one that wants to come and eat.

1 Like Save    
grinder12000

I like trash birds - they pick up the seed before they can start growing into weeds!!

1 Like Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

There is no such thing as a trash bird.

Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

I wrote the above line four years ago. There ARE trash birds. They're called Doves. And because they are bullies, they insist on eating in bird feeders instead of ON THE GROUND. I'm this close to not feeding any birds anymore. Bummer.

Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

Switch to tube feeders, doves cant hang on and will then eat from the ground.

1 Like Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

Old Forester, doing that but now the Grosbeaks can't land, Grrrrrr.

Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

I have several tube feeders, made by the Yankee Droll Co. The Grosbeaks and cardinals use them but do have difficulty hanging onto the short perches. They now offer and I have purchased 2 sets of "perch extenders" . Ive been using them for over a month and the cardinals seem to appreciate them.

Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

Old Forester, thank you so much for that tip. It works!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Community Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Farm Your Yard 6 Things to Know Before You Start Growing Your Own Food
It takes time and practice, but growing edibles in the suburbs or city is possible with smart prep and patience
Full Story
Edible Gardens Food and Community Thrive in a U.K. Allotment Garden
Get a peek at a rented garden plot in England where edibles and flowers mix and local residents can mingle
Full Story