SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Deck or paver patio for this spot?

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our home is a 100+ year old Victorian with all the quirks one might expect to go along with it. One of
these quirks is the back patio - we have a poured concrete patio that runs almost the entire width of the lot, but for some reason whoever installed it stopped at the edge of the house on the south side, leaving one 8x12 rectangular area on the southeast corner of the house unpaved. The previous owners put astroturf over it, and now it looks like this:

We would like to "finish" this area somehow, and have discussed either installing a low raised deck (maybe just one or two steps up from the existing cement patio) or paving the area with paving stones or bricks. We would remove the section of fence that currently runs from the corner of the house to the side fence and extend the area down the side lawn a few feet, to also improve this area:

That cement trough you see below the spirea in the upper left corner is part of an underground drainage system - there is a downspout behind that spirea that empties into the trough and then the water goes out the drain on the other side. We are planning to remove this trough and connect the downspout to the drainage system properly (underground) before we put in either a deck or pavers, then extend the new patio to the edge of the window well at the bottom left of the photo.

DH favors the idea of a raised deck; personally, I would prefer pavers, but the area is not level and I'm not sure it can be leveled easily. There is a fairly significant downward slope from the back of the house to the front, and filling in the area to make a level paver patio would mean piling dirt against the house, possibly above the level of the cement window well. Not sure if this is a good idea or even possible! Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you can offer, both aesthetically and from a functional standpoint. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)