SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjwb

Draperies help

6 years ago

I’m hoping to embark on a sewing project: draperies for my dining and living rooms. I found the excellent tutorial on the Addicted to Decorating blog, and for budget reasons I’ll be making my own; but I’m second guessing my fabric choice now! Could anyone provide any reassurance? Or tell me I’m way off and suggest alternatives?!

This is what I had chosen:

These are the kinds of interiors I love: books, fabrics, heavy on the framed art, some natural elements, and the rich wood tones of antique furniture. Traditional. I love green and blue. Here are some inspiration images. In perusing my Pinterest home decor page, I’m realizing not that many of my saved images have patterned draperies. Can I get to this look with the fabric I have chosen? Or should I change to a solid in a rich color? Or a blue and white pattern of some type? I realize my budget interiors will not attain this level of perfection!

Last and definitely least, here is my living room with a length of the fabric propped up for an idea.

This was taken just this minute; I realize I’ve got other issues besides window treatments, but one thing at a time! Future projects include hardwood floors, paint and new windows, lighting upgrades, on and on and on.. But for now, drapes!

Comments (66)

• 6 years ago

Ingrid, I’m just now seeing your last post. You’ve hit the nail on the head with why I’m nervous; that’s what I meant by too bold, as suzmtl questioned upthread. I do love color however. I just don’t want a garish, juvenile look. I’m glad you think I can get by with 1.5:))

• 6 years ago
    I made lined triple pleats drapes for my rooms, and ended up converting them to grommet topped ones instead. Due to the limitations of my fabric, the grommets ended up working much better. It was also a lot less work than folding, pinning, and sewing the pleats. I think that your windows would also suit a relaxed Roman shade.
  • Related Discussions

Drapery design help

Q

Comments (17)
    I appreciate the advice, really do. Just a note on what I have already done and a clarification on the picture. That window on the adjacent wall on the right side isn't on the left side, this adds to the dilemma. Privacy isn't a real concern as I back to woods. Heat is an issue as I roast in this area because of full sun most of the day. I had these windows tinted which helps a lot and just ordered trim colored duettes for all the lower windows including small non opening ones directly over the fireplace. They are cordless but human powered due to cost. I wAs really looking for a fabric accent but I can understand not covering up the windows as they are there to be scene. Would you paint only that back wall a dramatic color or the whole room?
    ...See More

Drapery sewing help needed

Q

Comments (5)
    A couple years ago, I made a Two-finger Euro Pleat (pinched at the top) center draw drapery for a room in my home. I looked up Parisian pleat and it's described as a three-finger pleat pinched at the top. Here are my details in case it helps you... My window width is 94". Fabric is 54" wide. For each half of the window, I used 2 widths of fabric. For one panel (2 widths of fabric sewn together), I made 12 pleats. Per panel, I used 4 1/2" pleats, 4" spaces, 3" return (the distance from the face of the rod to the wall or casing where the bracket is attached. The amount of drapery that covers the space between the rod and the wall.), 4" for center overlap. 4 1/2" was good for a two finger pleat. I would likely have needed more than that for a three finger pleat. The stack back (fullness when drapery is drawn open) is about 16". I used black out lining which may be adding some fullness to the stack back. My seam happened to be inside one of the spaces between the pleats. I didn't plan it.
    ...See More

Drapery lining? Help!

Q

Comments (2)
    I prefer Hanes Classic Sateen or Hanes Napped Sateen over RocLon. Interlining is what makes them hang best, but if you can't interline, then use either the Hanes Napped Sateen or the RocLon special suede (the heavier one).
    ...See More

Window Drapery Help!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Wow! This is a difficult layout for drapes because the window edges are right up against the corner fireplace. Is this a wood burning fireplace? Is it used? If so, drapes are potentially a hazard, also. Definitely don’t try to go way up to the ceiling. Not needed, and the upper windows are spaced up from the sliding door. I think ceiling to floor drapes aren’t necessary, might look strange, and would be MUCH more expensive. The windows do seem to need some softening, but the picture is from the upstairs landing. Once down in the room, drapes for the sliding door would do the job of softening just fine. Looks like this opens out to a back yard deck? I see greenery out there, so do you need window coverings for privacy? I’ll be interested in following this post to see if someone can come up with a great suggestion!
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

It's definitely not a garish, juvenile look or print.

I do think think one of the problems is what fabrics are available currently; one is stuck with whatever is currently in fashion, and fabric goes through cycles like everything else. I know I first fell in love with floral chintz fabrics for curtains in the eighties, reading shelter magazines in college, when they were all over the place. This last while, block prints have been back in style. Though as suzmtl says, the pendulum seems to be swinging back to bright florals. I just saw that Pottery Barn has new vivid pink flowery curtains on the website.

Since I think so many people are used to neutrals and/or solids, a colorful print is a leap from the usual. I think color and pattern are underused and are a wonderful way to decorate a room.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I understand your concern now, Nancy. Bold can be garish but nothing about this print, to my eye, is juvenile. I just did a Houzz search for bold print draperies and found this image from Andrea Schumacher Interiors. Perhaps more subdued prints are the norm in a traditional room but if you love the print you chose, I'm sure you can make it work.

2010 Colorado Homes & Lifestyles "Home of the Year" · More Info

A Google search yielded this living room from Bailey McCarthy published in HB.

Have you thought of doing an image search of your fabric and seeing if you can find it used in a room?

• 6 years ago

Well said, Becky. (Now I'm off to check out those PB curtains!)

• 6 years ago

Nancy, estate sales are a great way to go. You know, the whole “estate fresh” thing! Right from one person’s home into yours.

Maybe you would feel more sure of you curtain choice if you did a mood board and narrowed down your inspiration photos? Yes, the fabric is bold, but as beckysharp said— this is an underused way of making a room look wonderful. They seem bold enough to give life to the room but not dominate it. It just depends on the direction you want to go overall.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I would NOT do 1 1/2 width. I did this once in my daughter's bedroom due to the huge cost of the fabric and 4 windows plus valences; I've regretted it ever since. Your curtains should be able to close, even if they will not regularly. There are few things that can ruin a look more than skimpy curtains, and 1 1/2 widths will be skimpy.

As far as the width goes, it is the width of your ROD, not the window.

• 6 years ago

nancy, how many windows will you be doing? And will you keep the shade (is it bamboo?) underneath? I love the look of curtains over bamboo shades.

I ask because the effect of the color and pattern will be moderated with fewer, and shorter, windows in the room, and by the use of shades underneath.

• 6 years ago

suz, here's the link for the PB pinks : )

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/marla-floral-print-drape

I forgot to ask, does your screen name mean you're in Montreal? If so, here's the link at PB Canada,

http://www.potterybarn.ca/marla-floral-print-drape

• 6 years ago

Suz- that Schumacher print was what I originally was captivated by! As you may imagine, it’s a leeeetle bit too expensive to be feasible;) I found the richloom print I’m considering now by searching for something similar. That living room you posted is heavenly! Yes I’ve searched exhaustively for rooms using this print, no luck. I found an old post on here about someone using it for dining room drapes; she even posted a reveal, but of course the pics are gone:(

anele- estate sales are my happy place! I love to honor old and loved furnishings by giving them a new home. And a mood board is a great idea. I’ve never done one but I ought to try to figure it out.

anglo- I am nervous about 1.5. I want the curtains to close as two of the windows are on the west side of the house, so I want to be able to close them on summer afternoons. I found a source that says 1.5 width pleated drapes should finish at 35-37 inches. If the area I want exposed of my window is about 56 inches, or 28 on each half, that only leaves nine inches to cover the part of the rod to the side when the drapes are closed. What width of rod would you do? How much do I need for the stackback to look natural and only cover my window trim, no glass? If I have to pony up for 2 full widths I will. I respect your opinion!

Becky- I described the windows I plan to cover in an above reply to someone. There are two windows in each room, although in the dining room my buffet will cover the bottom of the curtains. I will leave the shades up. The drapes will all be floor length, like celerygirl mocked them up earlier. The ceilings are only eight feet and I want to hang them close to the ceiling to add height. So there will be quite a bit of pattern in the room:) The Cote de Texas blog has an excellent post about drapes that I’ve used for some inspiration.

• 6 years ago

The window width pictured is about 70" including casing. The rod extends about 8 inches on each side. Here, I used 1 1/2 panels.

They measure about 19-20 inches in this open state. I never close them because I use the blinds. To me, these look okay, but I would probably use 2 widths of fabric for a living room. More is more, right?

If you have any more questions, just ask.

• 6 years ago

Ratherbesewing, do your drapes close and what do they look like when you try?.. If you made them yourself, I may have some questions for you during my process!

• 6 years ago

Just checked and didn't feel like taking a picture. If I close, there is a 10 inch gap . Ouch. And, I sewed them myself. I cannot remember why I didn't use 2 widths of fabric...

• 6 years ago

Nancy, one more thing to consider before you make your decision... and that’s the flooring. Are you keeping your carpet or will you be getting a rug? Curtains + rug can be tricky to coordinate so I’d just want to have a plan.

• 6 years ago

Well, then, you'll be a maverick using this print, Nancy. ;-) I'm only half teasing. I know it's not an easy decision. But there's more than one way to make a room come alive and you seem to have a solid plan in hand so be confident in your choices. It's your home. If you decide to keep looking for another (easier?) fabric, could you use this one on pillows?

Becky, yes, I'm in Montreal. Thanks for the links. PB doesn't have a Canadian website yet and annoyingly enough, detects my location whenever I want to visit the US one, defaulting to their Cdn intro page with store addresses.

• 6 years ago

Ratherbesewing- and your window is not quite ten inches wider than mine, hmmmm.

Anele- ah you’ve hit on the other reason I’m concerned. We will do hardwood sometime in the next few years and I will get a rug. I love Persians but I’m afraid this fabric choice will rule that out. My backup plan is seagrass or another similar material, with something warmer layered over for winter. There are a few pics I can find with patterned drapes and a busy patterned rug, but I imagine that takes a lot of trial and error, which isn’t practical since I would have to order.

Suz- I may make pillows regardless, since I have this 1.5 yard length that I ordered to gaze at. If and when I get anything accomplished, I’ll post pics so the next person who wants to use this fabric won’t feel so alone:)

• 6 years ago

However you decide to proceed, I've a strong feeling it will be lovely, Nancy. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to any pics you'll share.

• 6 years ago

I get it, Nancy! I had the same issue. I knew I wanted old, worn Persians in my room... partly because I like the look, but partly because I have kids and pets and it’s just easier to have pattern on the floor. So I felt I had to pick one, pattern on the floor or pattern in the curtains. NOT, as you say, that it can’t be done— I love a lot of mixes of pattern— but because it’s harder. I think if you do want old Persians vs something you can order new, it’s easier to get the rug first and then the fabric for curtains because you have more choice in fabric than rugs, or at least I did. My awkward room size made for limited choices. I ended up with solid linen for curtains, which I am second-guessing, though I did get a toile, too, which would work.

But if hardwood is years down the road, maybe you should just go for the pattern on the curtains now and let Future Nancy deal with this then, because at least you will have pattern now in the room.

• 6 years ago

I just found this photo; this is the Schumacher hothouse flowers fabric. This definitely looks a little skimpy to me. Could this be one width?

• 6 years ago

suz, does the newish PB Canada website not come up for you at all? I wonder if it's a Quebec thing.

A few months ago I noticed I got the new PB Canada website instead of the US one. The shipping doesn't seem to be much cheaper (it's awfully high for within Canada), and some items aren't available -- usually whatever I like, sigh.

• 6 years ago

Anele- that’s why I’m considering going ahead with this fabric, because the hardwood and rug will be at least one year, maybe two. We have so many other things to do to update this place! But I don’t want to just kick the can down the road now and cause a problem later. My budget wouldn’t allow for a super high end antique oriental, and we have no local sources anyway. So I may have to be content with a subtler patterned new wool rug in a neutral or green or blue. Orientals that aren’t predominantly red are harder to find anyway, it seems to me, and red isn’t the color I want to focus on in this room. There’s always the family room when I get ready to work on it, warmer colors will be better in there because it’s north facing, dimmer and has a wood stove so it’s our winter sitting room:) You mention toile; I should check that out. Off to look at yet more pics:) Btw, you’ve been so helpful, thank you!

• 6 years ago

Nancy, I didn’t pay a lot for my rugs. They are not high-end but they are vintage and the style I like. I got them on ebay for less than what is sold in big box stores. BUT, as you say, it’s harder to find a rug without red as the predominant color... I love red so I went into my plan knowing it would be the main color in the room, and bought the rugs accordingly.

Any time you make a decision about a room, it means there is something to work around/with... and that’s OK. Especially if you love what you are working with!

• 6 years ago

I really like your inspiration pics and went to pin some of them myself. I had a good experience buying a vintage persian on ebay, though it took some time waiting for the right one at the right price.

• 6 years ago

Ok you’ve all convinced me to stop dithering and commit! Now I’m ready to do it and get it done, but the price for this fabric on fabric.com has gone up a bunch now, so I’ll have to watch it til it goes down again. I called them and asked them to honor the price of a few days ago: no dice. Not too friendly either:/ It does fluctuate quite a bit, but the last few days was the lowest I had ever seen. Should have just bought it then:/

• 6 years ago

No, it doesn't, Becky. It's a Quebec thing, I'm sure.

Nancy, did you try other sites? There was OnlineFabricStore.net mentioned in another thread recently. I've never bought there but I've bookmarked it. Selection and price seemed very appealing.

• 6 years ago

Have you mentioned the fabric by name? There are lots of good shoppers on this site. FabricGuru also has discounted fabrics. While you wait for a sale, remeasure and recalculate yardage amounts and check for the pattern repeat which will require more yardage. You didn't say if you an experienced sewer, but handling this amount of fabric + lining can be daunting (and heavy).

• 6 years ago

nancyjwb-

Your fabric selection is beautiful as are your inspiration photos.

Do you plan on closing those curtains?

If so, they must be double width. If you don't plan on closing them and they are only for decoration at the sides of the window, that is another story, and you can get them single width, and you don't need the interlining either. But does that really make sense?

You can trust Anglophilia, she is not only a seasoned professional decorator, she has exquisite taste and especially in the style you prefer!

You needn't worry about a strongly colored Persian rug not working with your curtains, just look at your inspiration photos above and many more traditional home photos to see how these rugs work with patterned curtains. And remember, your curtains are a pattern on a white/ivory ground.

Your Persian rug can be handmade and good quality and doesn't have to be antique.

You can get a Kashan for not tons of money these days that have a lot of blue that are not screaming red.

It is actually rare to find a traditional room without a Persian rug unless it is a British Colonial or British Raj , where a rug might not be used at all because of the intense humidity in those places and concerns about rot and infestation.

• 6 years ago

Suz, yes I’ve looked everywhere!

The fabric is Richloom Whipporwill, in summer ivory.

ratherbesewing- I know how to sew; don’t particularly enjoy it because the things I’m usually sewing are smaller and more fiddly, flimsier fabric, etc. It sounds nice for a change to work on something large with all straight seams:) I may just get busy and make a pillow cover or two with what I have while I wait for the fabric to go down again. I’ve never done any home decor sewing. I’ve thought about this long enough I think I’m set on yardage, and the repeat is 27”, which divides perfectly into a 3 yard panel.

loo- I do need these drapes to be functional for light and heat blocking since they’re on the west side of the house. Also, Anglo has persuaded me that I do need two widths for it to look right. Thanks for the reassurance on the rug, too:)

• 6 years ago

Is this your fabric?

• 6 years ago

Garish- no! Stunning- Yes!!! Don’t you dare chicken out!!! It’s bold and beautiful and very Schumacher (even if it isn’t).

• 6 years ago

I just wanted to say that I think the fabric you have selected is beautiful! I think the fabric will make stunning curtains for a traditional space. The pattern looks traditional, but not stuffy. I look forward to seeing them finished!

• 6 years ago

Please post pictures of your pillows in this beautiful fabric. Will you center the bird?

• 6 years ago

Just one more thing to love about these drapes - this fabric has so many beautiful colors it would be easy as time passes to change paint, upholstery, pillows, and rug to give the room a whole new look and still continue using the drapes.

• 6 years ago

Check out their outdoor fabric. They have similar colors/movements for $10-$12/yd. It doesn't have the look or feel of silk or linen, but it does drape nicely, and is easy to clean. My biggest complaint with it is that it won't hold a serge on the vertical, you have to melt it.

• 6 years ago

Suz-that’s it! Fabric.com had it on sale last week so that with the quantity discount it was $10/yard...but I missed it:(

kendall and prickly pear, I love it too, hope it lives up to my vision..!

kootenay- I’ll check it out. I haven’t looked at that type of fabric.

• 6 years ago

I hesitate to chime in here since it seems you have made a decision. But, FWIW, I too fell in love with that fabric and bought it as soon as I saw it. The colors are magnificent and the quality of the fabric is amazing. I had drapes made for my Dining room that I thought I was going to love, but I ended up selling them. The color was so bright and vivid that it just seemed to dominate the room. I am a big fan of pattern in draperies, but in this case the combination of the vivid color and pattern looked like too much going on. I remember thinking that the drapes would have looked great in a sunroom, garden room, or a bedroom. It was a relief when I took them down and put my old drapes back up. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. It is beautiful fabric, just didn't work for me.

• 6 years ago

Jjam- hey you must be the one! I ran across an old post about a dining room but the pics were gone. Do you by any chance still have a picture?

I’m so glad you did post because I am still worried about just what you say! I don’t want to spend the money and not be happy. I have four windows in both rooms so I’m afraid it will be too much! I love the fabric, but maybe I should just do a couple cushions out of it and go with a solid or subtler drapery.

The fact that I am still dithering probably means I shouldn’t do it; usually I’m quite decisive! I’ve been all over the place with this though.

• 6 years ago

I found a couple, and honestly they look fine in the photo. I learned that, in my DR, I'd rather have the focus on the art, furniture, and rug. Introducing the drapes was one too many guests at the party, IYKWIM. I think it depends on the room and what you are comfortable with. Good Luck!

Sorry for the quality of the photos; these aren't the best. I hope they give you a good idea of how they look finished. These were done with 1 1/2 times width per panel.

Good Luck!

• 6 years ago

Oh I’m so glad you found some pictures! I think those look gorgeous, and a busy (even cluttered) room is a look I kinda like. So you’ve swayed me again in favor! I think I better stop posting on this thread; everyone’s going to think I’m a nutcase:)

• 6 years ago

These look gorgeous, jjam. I don't think you're a nutcase, nancy. It's a lot of time, effort and money and you don't want to regret your choice. There's a case to be made for both drapery style: subdued and bold. The important thing, as you know, is to decorate to your taste.

• 6 years ago

jjam, just echoing nancy and suz about your beyond lovely curtains. I'm sorry they didn't work out the way you wanted.

Love the first photo, the red in the painting is set off so beautifully by the red in the fabric.

• 6 years ago

I reread my comment above about your curtains jjam. I didn’t mean to imply that your room was cluttered, far from it! I intended to say that I must have a much higher tolerance for pattern and busyness because I think your curtains were great in your room, and after seeing your photos, I’m thinking they’ll be great in mine:)

• 6 years ago

No worries! I do think the drapes in the photo look nice so I am wondering in a way why I didn't like them. Sounds like they will be a winner for you :)

• 6 years ago

Ratherbesewing,

What fabric did you use? They look great!

• 6 years ago

Mini update: here is the pillow cover I made with my sample piece. I still haven’t bought more fabric for drapes, but for the moment I’m pretty pleased with this:) It was the easiest and most fun sewing project I’ve ever done!

I'm going to start a thread for lampshade advice next.

• 6 years ago

I love the fabric you chose. Your pillow looks fabulous. I just want to reiterate what Anglo said, don't chintz on the width of the curtains. You will spoil the look of your investment that way. It's not worth the cost savings to me.

• 6 years ago

I love your fabric! I also love “busy” rooms! I made myself some patterned drapes a few years ago using that exact tutorial! I’ll see if I can find a pic and post it.

• 6 years ago

nancy, love the pillow! Especially with the perfect butterfly placement : ) .

• 6 years ago

Rita- I’ve been convinced on that. It would really stink to go to the trouble and expense and then always wish they were fuller. Thank you!

sowkmom- thanks! Glad to hear you accomplished it. The pillow was a lot of fun, I hope the drapes are as well.

becky- thank you! The bird isn’t my favorite part of the fabric, so I spent some time figuring how to cut around it and mainly feature the blue flowers. I love how it turned out!

• 6 years ago

I love your fabric and can't wait to see the drapes. Have you considered removing the wallpaper border? It's easy do to and would instantly update the room. Following along!

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America