SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

I am irritated by carpet store, in fact I think I was cheated.

I needed to replace the carpeting on my stairs and upstairs hall. This is a small 2 story -- the upstairs L shaped hall is only 6'x4' (slightly less actually) on one leg and 4'x3.5' on the other. Thirteen steps, 2 landings.

I went to the carpet store's "warehouse sale" with my measurements and drawing to see if they had a remnant that would work. The salesman calculated how much I would need -- I found a remnant 12x13 that I liked, but according to the calculation I needed a bit more than that. They had another piece 12x12 so I bought that as well thinking to use the leftover in one of the bedrooms. Normally I would have taken more time to double check the calcs (btw, he said he would email the calcs and drawing to me, but did not), but the sale was just over the weekend and I had to work the other 2 days. It seemed like I was getting a good price so I went ahead with the purchase.

Installation day, they only brought one roll and completed the job with a one foot strip left over. I asked where the rest of the leftover carpet was and was told there wasn't any. I remeasured, this time measuring each step, riser, stair nose, hall and landing -- there is about 120 sf on the floor -- 118 by measurement, but I allow for error and such.

Now I do realize that there will be some waste, but shouldn't the 12x13 (156 sf) piece have been sufficient? The carpet store has no idea what happened to the other 12x12 roll that I paid for. It has been 2 weeks of repeated phone calls with no answer. The salesman claims, according to his floor measure and layout, that they needed to take 6' off the other roll, however, that other roll was never at my house! And that would be 100 sf MORE than is on the floor!!!

Today I called again and was told that they are "ordering another piece to replace the missing one". I told them not to order a new piece, just refund me. She then said that they would be cutting a piece off another roll to replace mine; they do not know what happened to mine but assumed that it was returned to stock as a remnant.

Can any of you pros out there explain to me why so much carpet would be needed for these stairs? And why would they take back carpet that I paid for to re-sell?

Comment