SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Replacing faded unstained cabinet walnut fronts

6 years ago

About 7-8 yrs ago, I bought a mcm home and stripped it to the studs. I put in a kitchen, but never finished it. The walnut cabinets are fading to blonde. The ID was recently here (from out of state) and noted it. Another ID remarked on it a year ago. Both independently recommend I replace at least the floating cabinet fronts.

The cabinet contractor said they will only get worse. I am getting ready to finish the kitchen, so I feel that it’s now or never.

The cabinet contractor said he will replace the fronts with stained walnut which should not fade. My house gets a LOT of light, so this is important. But he says I can do whatever I want for fronts - painted or other woods. I have a general idea on the cost, which is in my budget.

I am leaning towards replacing with stained walnut. I have considered white for the floating fronts, or dark blue, but walnut seems the best fit? I am also replacing the quartz countertop as it is chipped and the seam is in a bad place.

Do you agree with sticking with stained walnut? Would you do the butler pantry and laundry in something else? The ID will help me with this but I also really value you the opinions on this board. Thanks!

Other things I am doing:

- tearing out the soffit/dropped ceiling, including over the appliances and extending cabinets to ceiling.

- Replacing quartz countertop

- Adding backsplash and shelves over floating cab.

- Widening window over sink to 10’

- New flooring will be light light grey concrete overlay (would prefer large format tile, but too expensive).

- Adding pantry behind built in appliance wall (see pic)

- Adding “butler pantry”, laundry, bird room and garage

- Adding new master bedroom (50% completed)

Here are some pics:

Looking from the kitchen (soffit is going away):

Comments (20)