SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

26 yr old Sub Zero 501 R is fading - seekiing replacement options

maire_cate
11 years ago

Our 26 year old Sub Zero needs repair and we're probably going to replace it instead. The unit is getting ice on the inside rear wall and our repair estimate is near $1200. That's too much for such an old unit although I still love it. The actual repair isn't that bad - it's the R19 recovery that adds significantly to the cost and they need 2 men to feed the tubing.

The 501 R has been replaced by the BI 36 -R and I can get a one for around $5500 plus delivery and install. Since the new ones are 83' and mine is only 74' I'll have to have the overhead cabinet removed and add some trim. My cabinets are also 25 years old and luckily the original company will custom mill and custom stain a wood panel for the front that will match. Our freezer is still working fine but it just might give up and putter away in shame when it sees the new competition across the room.

I did read this one post where the Miele was recommended. However I think it is more expensive that the Sub Zero and might not fit into the same space without major alterations.

No matter what I purchase this isn't an inexpensive purchase and before I plunk money down thought I'd check to see if anyone else has and suggestions.

Thanks, Maire

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele

Comments (8)