SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tranquilgarden

My daughter’s 2x4’ Cedar planter

Tranquil Garden
6 years ago

My 4-year old daughter and I built this planter for her back in the fall so that she has her own garden bed to plant vegetables into this year. It is build from cedar and the same construction as my larger raised vegetable beds I built last year around this same time (Feb/March).

It has a plywood bottom with holes drilled into it for drainage, so that we could move it if we ever had to (mind you it is probably way to heavy!) and it is lined with 6 mil vapour barrier on the inside to guard against rot.

We also had a Hello Kitty accordion style calendar where we cut off the bottom part, sealed them in laminating film and cut them out and then added a popsicle stick for plant labels.

She’s already planted pea seeds and radish seeds (which have sprouted already). We’ve also seeded some vegetables in the greenhouse (just behind the planter) that we will transplant to her planter once the weather warms up a bit more. She is very excited to be growing her own vegetables!

I hope to one day write an eBook on children and gardening, as I believe very passionately that we must teach our children the basics of growing their own food. We are too dependent on shipping food that could be grown locally 1000’s of km or miles.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions