SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clownmotel

Ailment help? Burn/scorch/dark patches at leaf base, photos included.

clownmotel
6 years ago

Hi folks! Long time lurker, first time poster, big fan of the regulars around here.

I have a mystery disease which has been affecting many of my succulents now. (Photos first if you don't want to read my wall of text: https://imgur.com/a/AkbrW.) The eldest leafs develop a small, dark (somewhat shiny) patch at the leaf base (most often the underside) which grows in size and seems to "suffocate" the leaf. With Echeveria, old leafs drop prematurely, still with "juice" left in them, but with sort of dried out bases. Thicker leafed plants seem to cope okay with the ailment, but it's an obvious blemish and I think it only gets worse with time. Leafs take some time before they acquire the mark, so new growth has (thus far) not shown dark patches until they're cycled farther down the stem.

First started on E. chroma this past summer, but also seems to be hitting Graptopetalum, Graptoveria, Pachyphytum, and Pachyveria. I have some mesembs, Haworthia and such which don't look affected, though I suppose it may present differently on those plants. Some of these plants are under grow lights now for 16 hours a day (so "actively" growing), and some others are on the window sill trying to get some shuteye during winter, though this all started sitting in the window during summer.

Suspecting something fungal, I have read some folks around here advising others with suspected fungal infections to switch to gritty mix, as moisture can be an issue.. However, all these plants are in the standard 1:1:1 gritty mix (some may be in a 1:1 turface:granite mix, but I can't recall). I'm in Chicago, and while certainly not arid, I wouldn't think of it as terribly humid either.

Another suspect I had was my fertilizer, Miracle Gro diluted to 1/8th tsp per half gallon. After some research, I wondered if it was some sort of fertilizer burn, so stopped fertilizing months ago. It hasn't helped.

I've tried researching this issue several times, but lemme tell ya, google is useless since every search returns information about root rot or leaf spot on trees.

Here's an album of photos with descriptions: https://imgur.com/a/AkbrW

Thanks for reading!

Comments (14)