SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_913

Composting tree stump grindings

Sunflowers
6 years ago

I could post this on the Soils and Compost forum but this one is more active right now. Last week we had an ailing elm tree cut down as it would have become a safety issue within a year or two. The branches were chipped and are going to be used as mulch in the garden because they’re still quite large (1-2”). The company also ground out the large stump and left us a large pile of stump grindings which are darker in color and much finer (the pieces range in size from grains of rice to about Tic Tac size). From my reading, it seems that the stump wood contains more nutrients than the limbs and branches, so I’d love to compost some of the stump grindings for use next spring. Also, there is quite a bit of topsoil mixed in with the stump grindings, especially at the bottom of the hole.

Question: Is one year too short of a timeline for composting wood shavings? Given that they are heavy in carbon, should I just make sure to mix plenty of nitrogen into it when creating my new pile? How will I know next spring if they’re composted thoroughly enough? I’d hate to put unfinished wood chip compost into my beds because I know it could tie up nitrogen.

During the winter when it was too cold to trek out to our other compost pile, I would put kitchen scraps in a plastic bag labeled “compost” and stick it in the basement freezer :-) If I thawed out all of these, it would be a significant amount. I could also ask for coffee grounds at local shops around my house.

Comments (10)