SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three4rd47

What are the small black bugs that leave sticky residue on begonias?

three4rd47
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

I bring in several pots of begonias and geraniums each fall. Never had a problem before until this year. There are small black bugs flying around the begonias (actually there has been evidence of them all over the house), and they leave a sticky residue around the whole area that the pots are located. It doesn't seem to be doing the plants much damage - though the leaves look a bit weird from spraying them every time I water. I use a mild soap / water solution (I use Shaklee basic H, which can be used on plants from what their info says) to spray the begonias. But, it has really become a pain to do all this spraying, plus I worry about whether or not these pests will come back in again next fall.

I can't help but wonder if the whole problem is linked to another issue that we had last summer with springtails all over our inground pool water surface. We never had those things (major pain in the you-no-where) either until we had a sizable landscaping project done and lots of straw put down over newly sown grass seed.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of either one of these pests would be much appreciated!! The springtails play havoc with the pool (DE) filter pressure, and the begonia pests are just a royal pain in general. It turns out that some peace lilies I had transplanted for family members as Christmas gifts also wound up having bugs in the soil...possibly the same critters that are on the begonias??

Thanks...

Comments (37)