SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimiko84

Help, my calathea has sticky spots on the underside of its leaves

kimiko84
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I've had my calathea (my first ever, though I have kept other houseplants successfully for quite a while) since August.. it has been perfectly fine, growing quite a bit since, but suddenly in the last week or so, I noticed it was looking a little shabby. A few of the ends have started to brown and go crispy.. I wasn't too worried, but then I noticed there were tiny sticky spots on the undersides of some of the leaves. When you hold it up to the light, these spots let the light through. There are also a few dried out scratchy looking patches on some of the leaves. I did a bit of googling, but haven't found any pest or disease which seems to match the same description. In a bit of desperation, I tried to wipe the leaves with a damp cloth, hoping this might get rid of the sticky bits, but if anything, I think this might have caused it to spread further (and seems to have left water marks on the top side of the leaves too). It's still growing plenty of new leaves, so is otherwise healthy. I would really appreciate advice from anyone who might be able to help me identify the problem, and therefore work out how to rectify it! I love it, and up until a week ago, was actually thinking of repotting it because of how well it was doing?! Please help!

Comments (16)