SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollabaughr

Worried about granite peninsula support; installer doesn't agree

R H
6 years ago

Hello all,

We just had 85 sq. feet of Antique white granite (mesh-backed) installed on our existing cabinetry (the cabinets look nice and are in good shape). The company we used has a good reputation in our area, they both fabricate and install, and have been in business for 40 years. They also were not the cheapest.

Here's my concern:

I'm worried our peninsula has inadequate support - especially considering we have brittle stone. Our overhang is 12.5", the end of the peninsula is 37.5" wide, and along the front side it's 37" long before it begins a radius inward) From the beginning, the company told us we don't need braces, but would install them if desired. I insisted on it, cited MIA standards and the fact that we have small children, and said I'd gladly pay the extra for peace of mind. So, they ordered and installed three Freedom supports by Federal Brace.

Unfortunately, it appears that at least one of the braces is not even flush with the stone. It's caulked in between, and the caulk is much thicker than the other two supports. I think it's hiding a gap. Considering that, and the fact that there is a large, unsupported corner, I'm worried.

To complicate matters, this seems to be industry standard in my region (Michigan). Prior to choosing the granite company, we had another reputable business provide a quote, and they also said "you don't need supports." Apparently they only install them on half walls, or instances of extreme overhang (14-15"). The "standards" I read about on Houzz seem to be much looser here.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Reading the wealth of information on here has already helped us immensely (though perhaps made me worry even more, lol).

Thank you!

Peninsula end

Peninsula Corner

Questionable support?

Comments (15)