SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Large light fixtures over island

ILoveRed
6 years ago

I have a ten ft Island and I had my electrician wire for 2 pendants as I'm sure I want two large pendants. Just not sure which ones.

i love these large lanterns. They have been very popular for several years now. Are they going to be dated soon?

Not too long ago I loved the "Bell Jar Fixtures". I don't see them anymore.

i know I should get what I love but I would also like to get something that won't be dated immediately after we finish this house.

share pics of your large pendants please.

Comments (51)

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

IMO, the light emitted from clear-ish bulbs are terribly unpleasant. If you haven't worked with clear pendants, you might go to a showroom and take note of the shadows and light quality they cast.

ILoveRed thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Related Discussions

Need track/pendant lighting over large island, suggestions? PICS

Q

Comments (2)
    I think you are referring to monorail lighting. It definitely has a more modern vibe and is not for everyone. The reason I think what you have now does not work well is that the shades are very small/narrow and you probably have lower watt bulbs in them. It looks like you have recessed lighting as well. Is that not working for you as far as lighting the sink/prep side? I can't quite tell, but the spacing may be too far apart for the size--plus it looks like you have tall ceilings and all this has an impact. Do they cast a shadow when someone is working on the prep side? What I'd do is make a scaled drawing of your kitchen with the light fixtures and wattages and take it to a good quality lighting store that helps with lighting design and see what they recommended since you already spent money on one solution that is not working. When we remodeled our kitchen the place I ordered my lighting from did our lighting design. In many cases, their recommendations differed than my electrician's and most cases I went with their recommendations and am very happy that I did. The kitchen forum is another source you can solicit feedback for your lighting problem. I'd love to see something like this in there Here is a link that might be useful: Schoolhouse pendants
    ...See More

island hood vent + light fixture(s) over peninsu w/8 ft ceilings?

Q

Comments (5)
    I was asking recently about a hood and small pendants (older thread). My solution involves the symmetry of two small pendants working with the hood. I like high-hats for their unobtrusive lighting, but my personal taste is to have something decorative providing some light and some style at the same time. I say yes, do a pendant. It's hard to visualize your space, but from the description I'm thinking a long bar light over the peninsula, and the hood over the island.
    ...See More

Echo large or small pendant lights over kitchen island?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd rather have the higher lumens -- that's like the difference between a 40W and a 60W bulb, and three of the latter feels like it will be better in a kitchen.
    ...See More

Pendant Lights Over Large Kitchen Island

Q

Comments (2)
    It is a large kitchen and completely open to the family room. The center island is 128" (we refer to it as the cooking island). There are also perimeter cabinets and a 48" gas range. The hardwood floors are being installed now and the cabinets will be installed in about a week, so I don't have a good picture yet to capture the size of the space. We have 10 foot ceilings and an entire wall of windows, so everything is very open. I have attached a picture from a few weeks ago. It is from the perspective of the kitchen looking into the family room. The "island" you see is just the support for what will be the raised portion of the island (the bar top). I hope this helps.
    ...See More
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Benjesbride. I have lots of led recessed lighting in as well. The 3000 I think. I had pendants in my last house with dark metal globes which lit the area poorly so I thought these glass ones would be better.

i based the wiring on this diagram figuring that most of the pendants I like will be about the size of the Medium. (Bottom left)

the island is about 4.5 ft deep.

do you think I messed up by not doing 3 pendants?

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I probably would have done 3, but it's been a couple years since I researched all the lighting recommendations. I tend to prefer things in odd numbers unless they are in a symmetric design.

• User
    6 years ago

Large lights are trending out. They tend to overshadow and obscure other things in the kitchen. Also, decorative pendants like that tend to provide poor task light. You will need additional recessed lights directly over the actual island. Not just in the vicinity. Or else you will get shadows on your work surface.

Or just convert those boxes to 6” recessed ICAT LEDs. Or flush or semi flush school house globes.

ILoveRed thanked User
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

I think 2 pendants over such a large island is not enough. I agree with benje that 3 would work better and not create the bouncing phenomenon where your eye bounces back and forth between the two. That is why odd numbers is recommended.

I personally don't like the large pendant look as I feel it overpowers the other elements in the kitchen. Unless it's the star of the kitchen, go with something less in your face.

What I did on my smaller island (45" wide x 84" long) was put 3 pendants over the eating area and a recessed can over the sink area.

ILoveRed thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

One other thought. Your house is more traditional. What would have been an appropriate light fixture if the house were originally built during the time period it's emulating?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok...great advice everyone. It may not be too late to change from two to three boxes. The drywall is not up yet but may be going up today. I'm going to try to find my electrician right away and see. I wish I had asked here earlier.

i had a feeling this is what you all were going to say. More later after I find out if I can change this.

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

Hi ilovered,

If the drywall is not up you are in luck! Adding a third fixture, and even moving the other two to make room for the third is super easy. An hour's work or less depending on what kind of mount your electrician will have to fabricate to get the pendants spaced exactly how you want. Don't settle for close enough =).

My island will be about 7 feet long and I am using three medium sized pendants (the kind that focus light down, sorry forgot the term) I finished the electrical and hung the pendants for a quick visual recently and my wife and I really liked it. 3 pendants over a 10 foot would look even better!

ILoveRed thanked catinthehat
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Phone call into electrician. I hope it's not too late to change this. I had poor lighting in my last kitchen and I did not want to make the same mistake.

As far as led cans....Sophie, or anyone with an opinion, do you think this is enough cans for my kitchen? (The dots marked in purple). If I switch to three pendants instead of two over the island, do you think I'm ok? I also have two sconces above the kitchen window sink area, (to the left) shining down. I could probably add more cans if I need to...down the center perhaps??

CP...the house definitely leans very traditional. My gut told me these pendants were wrong but I liked them so much for so long I just didn't want to give it up. I'll ask for help here in picking out the right ones. I should have done that to start with.

apeta..thank you for sharing. Those pendants will be perfect over a 7 ft island imo.

if I haven't lost all of you....Thank you. These decisions are difficult for me and I'm on overload with decision fatigue. Any help I get is so appreciated. Now, I just hope my electrician doesn't take a contract out on me.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you catinthehat....waiting on him and dh was out there last night so I know there is no drywall there yet. Reassuring to know it's an easy fix. Then I don't feel too bad asking him to do this.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Electrician called. Laughed nicely and said "no big deal". He is spacing three lights evenly over my island. Grateful for great subs today.

and for this forum. Thank you so much!!!

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I've an irrational love for this pendant (which I had nowhere to put, was too narrow and tall for my space, and too expensive)..but if I could etc, I wouldn't worry about it becoming outdated since it's silly enough, and happy enough, to be always satisfiable in my eyes. of course as every open lantern like that-there's problem with shadows etc. So not sure best. And not sure I'd repeat 3 of them. Actually the only reason I decided to show it to you-is because of your nickname...))))

https://www.google.com/search?q=carousel+light+currey+co&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQlerWprfZAhUV6mMKHc73AGkQsxgILQ&biw=1366&bih=637

ILoveRed thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    6 years ago

You need a completely different lighting plan. Too many lights. And in the wrong spots. The work surfaces are going to be in shadow. Are you doing under cabinet lighting? What is your ceiling height?

Hire a local designer to help you with some of this. But especially that lighting plan. That’s a complete rework.

ILoveRed thanked User
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

ILR- in case it helps evaluate your recessed lights... what I found when I researched lighting was a recommendation of ~35 lumens per square foot in addition to your UCL. Lights typically 3-4 feet apart. This is for an 8ft ceiling. I *think* recessed fixtures above perimeter counters with the edge of fixture directly above edge of counter. I think. Good luck!

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

All good stuff and same what I found in my research. Typical distance of recessed light from the wall, where you need countertop illumination, is 18 to 24 inches. I put mine at 20.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Your cans are too far back. They should be right at the counter edge and not behind you.

You don't need one in front of the fridge as the fridge is lit when you open it.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Aprilnever...it is an irrational love! It all started back when Kateskouros did her kitchen on here. Be still my heart on those red ones :-)

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie..they are really right at the counter edge as CP mentions on this thread. I didn't mark them very well or accurate as far as location on that pic. But there are 4 on each side and more on the right end. I'm a little discouraged that they are not right. I do also have UC lighting and 10 ft ceilings.

Honestly..if I had someone like you to hire I would have. No designers for this kind of thing out here in what most would consider the middle of nowhere.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Benjesbride. I'm guessing without actually being at the house that they are about 4 ft apart. And at edge of counter. Hoping it's good..thanks for the good luck wish..

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cat and CP...just put another text into my electrician to find out how far from the wall my recessed cans are. Hoping they are 24". He is going to think I'm nuts

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just got this...I think I might be ok.

25" inches to center so there won't be any shadowing on the counter tops and the one above the fridge is around36" to 40" I think

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

" He is going to think I'm nuts"-that's a good sign..looking back...our electricians consistently thought we're nuts. that's why now we're quite pleased with our lighting lol

but yes..that was painful..they thought it also out loud in Spanish sometimes..and I understood since I was watching all sorts of "Rubi" and "Theresa" to calm my nerves, during this period..:)

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

25" should be ok! In reality nobody butts their waist right against the counter, so I think you will be fine most of the time. For the times you hunch over, your undercab lighting will work like a dream. I chose 20" because I also wanted to illuminate my top cabs with slightly more dramatic effect.

• kelleg69
    6 years ago

I haven't read the whole thread, but I like the look of just two pendants over an island. If they are large, three would be too many, IMHO. I think those pendants you like will be nice for a while b/c the lantern is such a classic style.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

April...we have one guy doing our whole house. And he is dh's cousin! So nice dealing directly with one person. His bid was higher but he has worked for us before and we knew he was good.

have to ask. What is Rubi and Theresa. I'm home trying to recover from influenza. Maybe this could help me ;-)

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelle..I love them too. But, alas it is too late and I'm giving up on them. But thank you for contributing.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I have flush mount schoolhouse lights in my hall with 9-ft. ceilings and the light is terrific, bright without being harsh, really fills the space without shadows. I like the semi-flush-mount even better.

• barncatz
    6 years ago

IloveRed, I'm sure this is not the look you want but I had to show you this red pendant ftom Barnlight Electric. I have it in my eating area in sky blue.

• muskokascp
    6 years ago

I have a 10' island with 3 pendants. Changing to 3 was the right decision.

ILoveRed thanked muskokascp
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

"Rubi" and "Theresa"-loooong Mexican telenovelas..with both Rubi and Theresa being very beautuful young girls(especially the actress that plays Rubi) but of somewhat villanous nature..anti-heroines..:) Really helps with basic Spanish. They repeat stuff a lot there..:) If I continued to watch telenovelas I might be able to communicate in Spanish by now. That's how my Mom mastered some basic Spanish too. I was sceptical but it works. To a certain degree, of course.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Linelle...I may put something like this in my foyer. TY for the recommendation.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Barn cats...cute! I have never heard of that website. I just spent an hour there. Loved it.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Since I have some expertise on this thread..can you school me further please? This is my sink wall which will have a sconce above each window. Is the light underneath the pic a poor choice (not in terms of aesthetics) as much as in terms of actual lighting..i.e.: shadows etc. I want something that is beautiful but more importantly functional. It has to be a sconce. The wiring is in the header and can't be changed.

If it is a poor choice, which type of sconce should I be looking for? TY.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

What are they lighting below the window?

Will those lights conflict with the trim moulding and window treatments you're planning?

Personally I would probably avoid anything that hangs below the moulding and reflects in the window glass.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

That doesn't look like it will do much to light the counter?

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Der. Just caught that this is the sink wall. Are there mirrors here? The most flattering light at a mirror is diffuse and at eye level. Lighting above casts shadows down ones face, but you probably already thought of this.

• barncatz
    6 years ago

The one thing I'd consider with a glass shade is glare. We have a sconce over our sink (it's not on a window) with a metal shade. We can use a small light bulb in it so the light bulb doesn't hit our eyes if we look up at it.

That fixture also looks like it may be fixed - I like a sconce that can be adjusted to fix any glare or lighting issue.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I have these from Rejuvenation over my sink and love the task lighting. Though maybe I have low expectations since my "before" kitchen only had a single boob light. I see your choice is from Rejuvenation too--I would probably switch to the opal shade rather than clear.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Benjesbride...this is my sink wall with the windows for clarification. It does kind of look like mirrors...as is :-)..but, no mirrors. The trim/ crown will go all the way across the top wall. 4" trim around the window. Not planning any window treatment. Perhaps a cafe curtain??

so, these sconces are basically intended as task lighting for the sink area. I will make sure I don't get anything that overhangs my trim. Wondering about the clear glass and what quality of light it may produce?

TY yet again :-)

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cp..i hope it does. But, I may still be able to add another can led in that vicinity. Do you think I should?

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

I'm a moron. I read your comment when my attention was divided three ways and for some reason thought the photo of the window was in your bathroom. Ridiculous. Thanks, All, for your grace toward me. I am NOT a multitasker!!!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Barncatz..I will make sure I get an adjustable sconce. Good point. And lots to choose from.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Caligirl...rejuvenation is my absolute favorite. I recognized one of your lights. I had many of their fixtures in my last house. Love how you can play around with different finishes and globes. I think I have my foyer light picked out from their site. DH says it looks like a funeral home light, lol. Yourkitchen is luscious. I remember when you nailed it by switching those bottom drawers to inset. Very vintage and well done.

PS..thanks for showing me your sconces and making me feel like I may be alright with sconces there!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Benjesbride..you are not a moron. Just busy. The only reason I can focus is because I'm practically immobile from the dam*flu. Don't feel bad. And thanks for being so helpful.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Caligirl..what is the black countertop?

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

Thanks for all your kind comments on my kitchen! It's honed black mist granite.

They know me at the local Rejuvenation store :)

ILoveRed thanked caligirl5
  • barncatz
    6 years ago

ILoveRed, you are absolutly all right with sconces there. I know some people say they never use their over the sink fixture(s). I use mine all the time. Here's one I just saw that reminded me of your plan:

Juneau · More Info

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love that picture and those sconces. Thank you barncatz!

• Lynda
    6 years ago

Ilovered - which pendants did you end up selecting? I have a similar dilemma - with a 9.5 ft. island and I love the Darlana, but now I’m thinking of doing the seeded pendants.