SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmera

Granite vs Quartz: Kitchen design quandry

cosmera
6 years ago

I found this slab: Aries. I fell in love with it. My kitchen is very boring and I can really only afford to replace the counters, backsplash, cooktop and oven. I would love to do the cabinets as well, but if I have time, I may restain them or paint them. I am getting a black cooktop and stainless wall oven. My plan for a backsplash is a long subway tile 3x8 or 4x12 matte white/off-white.

I started doing a bunch of research because everything I hear now is how "in" quartz is and granite is "out". All the design shows I watch use quartz or marble. I read that quartz is more durable and heat resistant. Granite needs to be sealed, and even so will etch and stain with acidic food - lemons, lemonade, oranges and tomatoes are staples in my kitchen. I have kids. Carless kids. But I really like the movement in this slab. Quartz is a little dull to me. I love marble but it is way too soft. But grainite is really out, so I looked at some quartz that has the marble look. But to me, it looked like a photo copy image. It didnt' look natural. So, I move forward. Here are my nestings.

I can't decide which I like better. I like the countertop in the 2nd nesting, but I cannot decide on the island. Now the more I look at them, I wonder if I am making a very expensive mistake? Will I get sick of them since they are so busy? Should I go with a subtle counter and a busier backsplash? Am I overdoing the counter because my kitchen now is so boring? Will quartz be better for resale in 5 years?

About 1-1/2 years ago, I painted the main level of my home Benjamin Moore Hillsboro Beige. So the wall color is staying. The cabinets will either get painted or stained. I only have about 20 LF of backsplash. The other thing I like about the Aries granite is that with all the coloration in it, I am not locked into a color scheme. Is quartz a better choice? If I go with the granite, which island is better? Also, someone said that my slab is a combo of granite and quartzite, two different stones which have different properties and cold more easily crack or chip. Is the fact that there are large chunks of quartzite going to be an issue? Afterall, quartz is really in and granite is really out.....

Comments (50)