SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madzone9b_ca

Pink Rose that is both Shade & Sun/Heat Tolerant?

MAD zone 9b
6 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a pink or coral 'shade tolerant' rose that can also take lots of sun and heat? Other colors are ok, but I prefer pink for this spot.

I have this troublesome spot (north/west facing, shaded by the house) that is mostly shaded Winter & Spring, but also gets intense heat/sun in the Summer. In winter and spring, it gets sun only from 11am - 1pm. In the Fall, it gets sun 10ish -1pm and some late afternoon sun. However, in the summer (May-August), it gets blasted with full sun just like everything else from 8am-7:30pm.

I tried Abraham Darby 3 years ago (mistakenly sold to me as Evelyn), but it fried in the summer heat and promptly died. Right now I have Lady of the Mist (supposed to shade tolerant) in that spot, but it's not blooming well. I get a few fried blooms in the summer. I plan to move it to a sunnier spot when I find a replacement

I read that Scepter'd Isle does well in partial shade and full sun. I also read that Princess Charlene de Monaco might prefer shade, but not lots of sun. A website recommended Eden for shade, saying it was very floriferous, so it has no trouble blooming in shade. My Eden in full sun will be 3yrs old this year and I am waiting for it to give me more than 5 blooms.

What do you think of these? Any recommendations?

Comments (11)