SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregrjo

Home Networking - Where to start?

Greg Jones
6 years ago

I am currently going through a total home remodel (2 story) of which there is clearly no better time, while drywall is all pulled down and the house opened up, to ensure the home network is set up correctly. There is a need to ensure wifi through out the house given the many devices the family run, yet also needing to ensure the home office has great connectivity. In addition to just the wifi, there will be the bonus / game room with xbox running.

I am not looking for all the bells and whistles for home networking, yet more the functional direction like:

- Do i run Cat5e or Cat6 throughout the house with access points in key rooms?

- We currently have Comcast for cable.. contemplating throwing that our and just going for digital TV + Roku/Sling

- Do I also have wifi access points installed or just go with a hi end wifi router

I am keen to have the cabling / rack (if needed) routers etc all centralized in an upstairs cupboard for a tidy network envrioment that can be centrally accessed.

A couple of other questions:

- Can a standard electrician conduct such work? I'm thinking not yet happy to be corrected

- If not, then are the recommendations for Seattle location on good home networking professionals?

Many thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions