SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Drip irrigation and fertilizer

hairmetal4ever
6 years ago

I’m going to post this here, because the Irrigation Forum is a ghost town these days.

I think I have, more or less, figured out the plan for a drip irrigation system this season for the veggies. I plan to use drip tape with 0.25 GPH emitters – although my soil drains pretty well, I have a large garden (will need about 500 linear feet of tape) and since my well pump actually outpaces my well yield, I need to pace it so the well recharges at the rate it’s being drawn, if that makes any sense.

I want to split off the garden into two mini-zones by splitting the mainline and putting a valve in each one.

So – fertilization is my point where I am stumped.

If I stick with dry/granular, I have to go through the laborious task of removing mulch, then trying to work the fertilizer in around the driplines.

However, liquid fertilizers that would let me fertigate appear prohibitively expensive. I’m calculating that a single watering would be a few hundred gallons of water in total. Maybe I’m not looking in the right place, but most of the liquid/water soluble fertilizers I’ve found make approximately 100 – 400 gallons (at full strength) per box, at around ~$20 a box or bottle. I’d be out $200+ in just fertilizer per season doing that! My two bags of granular I used (different formulations) weren’t even $50 together and will last me one to two seasons!

Comments (19)