SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta X 2017

The purple trees are here. For me that is the official opening to spring. For those who still see snow believe me it is on the way.

X post your Xs. Your X anything. X-spouse, x-car, x-house. doesn't matter.

Hosta growers: Hey take a look. We have lots of letters that need plants named after them. Lets take a look at those when we pull the name tag out.

I will think of some as I start radiation today. 20 times in the microwave and I am done.

Comments (46)

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

My X-house when we sold it:

and 2 years later:

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't seem to find a place to plant more hostas........

Patio Ideas · More Info

Hosta season is almost here...

Can you see the little humming bird at the feeder? and the hosta garden in the background?

Patio Ideas · More Info

• Related Discussions

Hosta newby: does this hosta have Hosta Virus X?

Q

Comments (2)
    Doesn't look like it to me.
    ...See More

Hosta I 2017

Q

Comments (54)
    nhl, I like seeing your budgie, Coby. She's so pretty, and I know they're very smart and sociable. I don't have inside birds so I like feeding and watching the outside ones. Karin, my brother had mice for pets and one was so smart she would tour the house and then went back to her cage. Our cat didn't bother her. Sorry to hear that kitty was hit by a car. You were trying to help her. I'm also feeding a stray that I think belonged to a neighbor that moved and left her cat behind. Who does that? I think someone threw rocks at her to get her to leave the house she thought was hers. It took her 13 months to allow me to pet her, and she really enjoys it, although she's still easily spooked. She's come inside several times but panics if I close the door, so I'm taking it slow and tell her to stay safe when she's outside. peren.all/ Laurie, how fun to have geese follow you around. I've come across baby skunks and they're really cute and a bit kitten like in their play. All the animals you've helped is just more proof of how kind hearted you are.
    ...See More

Hosta R 2017

Q

Comments (46)
    Better late than never? Aren't those Rainbow's End hostas beautiful. I would say it is a unique hosta. Can't think of any that look like it. Photos are a bit dark. I was trying to do too many things this summer and then running out with the camera at the end of the day! Rainbow's End Radiant Edger (new) bottom center Red October (new) Poor Regal Splendor (on the left) being squashed by Undulata Erromena. I definitely will be removing UE this spring. Robert Frost in spring Robert Frost in July
    ...See More

Hosta Mini 2017

Q

Comments (38)
    I love the minis. I owe my entire obsession to dhaven. And now it's on! I have a few and am trying to mix them in with larger hostas as well. Last year, I wanted soe of my minis to stand out from their friends, so I created a raised area for them. I'm looking forward to them filling in this season. Two of my favorites are Baby Bunting and Cherish. But I love them all and have quite a few still on my wish list. I got this BME and friend in one pot at a garden center last Summer. I divided the blue from the other one and planted them separately. I have the Little Hosta Book. It's really wonderful. So is Carolyn's Shade Garden website.
    ...See More
  • DTeager
    6 years ago

Xanadu would be it for me, but I don't have a pic handy. It should be cute, but it doesn't grow well (like most of its white-centered brethren).

It would be fun to post pics of our X-house, where we first had a real hosta garden. We left there almost 20 years ago and brought almost everything with us. Teeeeeny city lot that held nearly 100 hostas!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Steve - you had everything in tip-top shape... and the new people apparently don't care about plants and landscape. Such a bummer! About 7 years ago we moved (built a new house) only a few blocks from where we lived before. We are still good friends with some of those former neighbors and when I go over there I have to avert my eyes from my 'old' house. The family that bought it are lovely people, but they have absolutely ruined so many of the trees, shrubs and garden plants that I lovingly planted and tended.

Donna - gorgeous. And like Jell-O, there's always room for more!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

That is a lot of time in the microwave Paula. Today will be one down in the last leg of your journey. I seem to recall you had H. X-Ray.

I X'ed out Deschampsia cespitosa - tufted hair grass. I had researched this beautiful native grass very well for seeding tendency prior to planting. My experience was a far cry from others. I dug and scratched out literally thousands of seedlings. Good riddance from my garden, I will enjoy it from afar.

Before

and after

Before from a different angle

After - boy that freed up space and gave clarity! Room for another Hosta!

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

X-tremely small hosta garden with seedlings I got from my belgian hosta friend...

I'm x-tra fond of these little hosta gifts because I know how much work it is to get nice looking seedlings...

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

peren, I see Rodgersia which I bought last year and Ligularia I finally ordered this year because I like the dark leaves together with the hostas...that's a really nice part of your garden!

6 years ago

Thanks Karin! I absolutely adore both and you will too! I have 3 species of Rodgersia and I want them all. They go so well with Hosta and they bloom all summer which is a real bonus. Which one did you get?

Big fan of all Ligularia but that burgundy foliage is sooo good. I am very happy you got them!

Very nice friend to share seedlings, love the box!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

my personal alphabet ends with W..no X,Y or Z..a Jack in the Pulpit and some elephant ears that don't eXist at the moment..

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

My x-tra bedroom

coming soon!

X is over-rated anyway.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Mine are already coming up in Colorado!?

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

peren, I also got three different kinds of Rodgerisa, Chocolate Wings, Henrici and podophylla. I loved the interesting leaves and nice flowers when I saw them in a shop where I normally buy hostas...

I'm dreaming of Elephant Ears, can they spend summer in a pot?

By the way, we had 10 cm of snow tonight and I have to go outside and clean the boardwalk :-(

6 years ago

Karin..my neighbor grows Elephant Ears in pots and they look great..I want some in the ground AND in pots..because you know I just want everything lol..

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Not easy to get EE here but I joined a group on fb with special plants and the members share and sell. Maybe I'm lucky and find one and a few nice caladium...and I also want everything...crazy,crazy,crazy...still looking for an extra garden, but no luck so far...

• old_dirt 6a
    6 years ago

"All my X's live in Texas and that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee". No X's here, have been with the same DW for fifty years in two weeks.

6 years ago

Karin..hope you can find some garden space..I would share my "wilderness" with you but you're so far away..sounds like you'll be able to find an elephant ear..even just one bulb is fun..

old dirt..Happy Anniversary!..I'm not far behind you..will be 44 years in July..no X's for me either.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

No X pics for me.

Xcited about these seedlings.

First one is from seed that Karin sent me from her plants last year. I kept the best looking greens and yellows. Several hundred others now composting.

Second pic mainly streakers from my own plants. 360 under lights presently.

Dave

6 years ago

Dave..I hope you get an Xtra special seedling..

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

Thanks nicholsworth, Xactly what I'm hoping for.

Dave

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

Karin, I got my first Elephant Ear late last summer from a plant freak and he grows his in pots. I kept mine in the same nursery pot for a month before it was time to put away for winter. I fully intend to put it back in a pot this summer. Moral of this story: EE in pots, yes! I also love your little box planter.

Tidds, what on earth will you do with all those seedlings??

Nicholsworth, you make me laugh. Quoteable quotes from plant freaks, "because you know I just want everything". I hear that. I don't have the space or the proper environment for everything, but it doesn't seem to stop me trying!

6 years ago

popmama..I have more than I need but I'm STILL always looking..thinking..planning..I hate it when my husband is with me at a garden center.."don't you have one like that?"(no 20).."where will you put that?"(somewhere)..hard to believe but I'm actually holding back a little!..he's really great about my gardening..I love being able to say someone on Gardenweb blah blah blah..my favorite GW story - a woman had 800 roses in pots around a mobile home!..she was a little concerned about keeping up with them..lol

6 years ago

Nicholsworth, my teenage son groans, "Do you have to buy a plant everywhere we go?"

6 years ago

popmama..that's funny!..and yes we do..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

Great looking seedlings Dave!

I don't have any X hostas. I do have photos of one of our X-budgies. Here is a shot of her on my daughter's shoulder while she was playing piano. It was the first time she ever flew to her while she played. It was only days after that she died at the vet's office.

Here is the same budgie (named ) Robbie. She must have loved those cheddar bunnies! Birds don't usually like to put their heads into spaces, let alone most of their body! I am glad she felt safe enough with us to be able to do that.

Karin, you can grown elephant ears in pots for sure! I have been doing it for a few years now. I have a few photos to show you.

This is one of my favorite elephant ears. It is called Illustris.

And here is another. I love the dragon wing begonias planted along with the EE.

Here is Coffee Cups or sometimes called Tea Cups EE. Unfortunately, something (rabbits?) were eating my potato vine. That's why you see it growing up rather than down! Eventually the postman just had to ask me "what is that plant?!"

6 years ago

I like the potato vine growing up the EE and you are right, that Illustris is really a looker. I'm pretty excited to see if mine will grow again this year. If not, I know where to get more.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

newhostalady, any tips for growing EE's in pots so well? Mine grow sooo much better in the ground. How often do you fertilize?

6 years ago

newhostalady..I enjoyed the pics of Robbie..so cute and funny..your pots are beautiful..do you overwinter your dragon wing begonias?..I read that people do AFTER I didn't save mine..I did save a tuberous begonia..anxious to see if it comes back..

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Illustris is a looker! I really have to try it! Do they like a sunny place and can I take them out of the pot in winter and keep them in a cold, dry room? Potato vine is also nice. I found it last year for the very first time here and planted it with one of the hostas.

Begonia are also an interesting plant for my shelves

Lately bought a few Hellebores, fascinating flowers and so many different ones...another collection to start? They grow and flower early in the year, so I could put them in the ground between the hostas and have some nice things to look at when I'm desperately waiting for the next hosta season :-)

Today's going to be a very hard day for me and my wallet. The list with the new Valley's hostas will be out and we all know where this is leading...

Karin

6 years ago

Yes, the EEs like a sunny place and the tuber can come out of the pot and be stored wrapped and dry for the winter.

That combination of the chartreuse hosta with the purple potato vine is divine! And I see you have a succulent addiction as well. Haha. So do I! I've been thinking of getting hellebores too after watching some youtube videos.

6 years ago

Did somebody say Elephant Ears?

Here's a pic of a Stanhopea X I grew - the most fragrant Orchid I've ever smelt.

6 years ago

steve..what a gigantic elephant ear!.. was that in Ohio?..the orchid is gorgeous..I wish pics could share the fragrance..

6 years ago

Popmama, I haven't tried to overwinter Illustris. I do love it though. Good luck with yours! I hope it will grow again for you!

Steve, I do use some kind of moisture retaining media for the EE. They do love their water! So the drawback to pots is the watering. For me one of the challenges is to not get rot or soft spots on the bulb at the end of the season. I think I have learned that when the days and nights become cooler, and the wet days begin, it is important to move the pots to where they will no longer get any rain on them. Sometimes I just dismantled the pot altogether at the end of summer. I have to do it a bit earlier than I would like in order to save the bulb from rotting. This year I think I will put bark mixed with perlite around the bulb in order to allow the bulb to remain dryer than the media. This might help to discourage rot.

To prepare for winter, I cut the tops and the roots off. I store the bulbs individually in paper bags in shredded paper. I keep them in a large paper bag or box in a room that is approximately 10 degrees cooler than the rest of our house.

Nicholsworth55, I don't overwinter my dragon wing begonias. No room! I don't know what was going on this last year, but I couldn't find any 4 to 5 inch pots in the spring. All of them were large pots. So disappointing! I hope this spring they will be available.

Karin, I like the dark potato vine with your yellow hosta too! I thought the dark EE would look nice with the yellow potato vine. The coffee cups/tea cups is rather fun in that water collects in its cupped leaves. When it is full, the leaf just tips over and pours out the water!

I find the EE like some sun and shade. But there are different varieties and some can tolerate much more sun. Definately take it out of its pot and store in that dry, cool room of yours.

Love the begonia you have Karin. I haven't started any collection of Hellebores. I've always thought they would bloom much too early for me to enjoy in my garden, but I could be wrong!

Steve, that EE is huge! Too bad my gardening season is so short. Congratulations on growing the Stanhopea X orchid. Great job!

6 years ago

The EE was in Hawaii - everything grows bigger there. I grew the Stanhopea outdoors in California. Very easy to grow there. The blooms just hang out the bottom of the hanging pot. Wish I could find my other pics. I just love the blooms that mimic insect bodies for the purpose of some fun pollination.

6 years ago

steve..ah Hawaii..that makes sense..not saying you can't grow ees in Ohio but the size of that leaf made me wonder..

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Thank you NHL, I think you just clued me in on what I was doing wrong, with my EE's at the end of the year...letting them out in the cold too long, too moist.

6 years ago

Steve, I used to leave them out too long too. The cold and the rain will rot the bulb in no time. EE's love the heat. Even if I start them indoors, then will grow quite slowly until outdoors in the warmth.

I forgot to answer your question about fertilizing. I fertilize about every three weeks with 20:20:20.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

X-tra Mardi Gras beads. I sent about two bushels full home with some friends who left early. I forgot these were in the car trunk. Some people say the reason New Orleans is sinking is because of the millions of pounds of beads stored in attics.

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Thank you for the EE winter storing tips, newhostalady! I have definitely not enough garden for all the plants I want to have. But hellebores are so nice. My old hostafriend has some really big ones and they are in full bloom now, unbelievable in this cold! But this is exactly what makes them interesting. Flowers in the snow...They get as big as hostas with the years just in another time of the year, so that's perfect. I have already been promised some seedlings in summer :-)

What are you doing with all those beats kathy? Are they distributed through Mardi Gras? When it is carnival here in Germany you can collect tons of sweets...

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

We have a big Summer Solstice festival here and I give the beads away to children. Some of the really fancy ones I keep. How do they distribute the sweets?

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

On carnival monday for example in Cologne there are lots of people parading through town who show political themes (made funny) on all kinds of vehicles and people on those throw sweets into the crowd. This is nothing for me, too many people and noise...

• don_in_colorado
    6 years ago

Anyone remember Myrle? My outside buddy for 2 1/2 years, I found her in the street in November. She got hit by a car. Add one more furry buddy to the graveyard

. : (

6 years ago

I do, so sorry Don. It is really hard losing our buddies.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Ohhhh, so sorry! She was adorable!

6 years ago

I'm sorry too..I've lost squirrel buddies and it's sad..

6 years ago

She was a cute Don. So unfortunate to have lost her.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor