SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
futuredriven

Georgia Red Clay Soil...What should we do?

FutureDriven
6 years ago

DH and I just purchased a fixer upper home. When we purchased it there was a really bad makeshift shed in the back with all types of illegal (electrical/gas) lines running to it. Anyway we had that taken care of, the shed demolished, and the yard graded. When we did this the top layer of the grass was taken off and now we have a yard full of red clay. We were told to put down fescue seed and it would take off. Well its been unusually cold with a lot of rain in Atlanta. We are just getting decent temperatures. Needless to say the seed didn't take and I'm pretty sure the last big rain washed it all away. This was over 6-8 week period. We went to visit the house and you could see red clay water running down our street (from our back yard). We have gotten quotes for sod (6 palettes for about $3000). This really was not in our budget. Does everyone think sod is the best route to go? We have a 65 pound poodle mix and he can't go in this back yard until we have some coverage over this clay. We move in this weekend. What do you suggest? We can take him out in the front yard for about a month but anything longer than that will be to long.... Help!

These pictures do not do it justice. This is the thickest clay dirt I have ever seen. After it rains it takes about 3 days of dry weather for the clay to dry out.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath