SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
marcymcb

HELP! Bathroom Layout

Marcy McB
4 years ago

We are renovating our jack & jill bathroom and I hate where this toilet is. I am trying to convince my significant other that we should move the toilet but he is totally against it.

I need ideas of how this bathroom can be laid out better. Move one of the doors closer to the sink and move the toilet to where the door was (closer to the tub/shower)? Is it too much hassle to move a door? Is the toilet fine where it is? HELP!

Comments (14)

• _sophiewheeler
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Th toilet is fine where it is if you don’t have the he budget to move it. Are you on slab or conventional foundation? What is the overall scope of work? And what is your budget?

• roarah
    4 years ago

What is below the bathroom. If it is a second floor bath you need to lose at least a 6 inch square in the main level to accomadate a new waste chase. If you are on a ground floor with a slab to move the waste pipe is very expensive. Moving plumbing is not only very expensive but sometime not even a doable option. You should talk to pros to get advise of feasibility and affordability first.

• partim
    4 years ago

I just re-read that you are renovating the room, so you are probably getting a new floor anyway. If you post a drawing with the dimensions of the room, and location of existing plumbing, you will get better ideas. Especially if you post the dimensions of the hallways and rooms beside the bathroom too.

If you get rid of the very long vanity, would you have room for a separate toilet enclosure? It's hard to tell from your photo how large your room is. Your door looks very wide. If you had a narrower door, would you have more room around the toilet area? Sometimes a toilet can be moved over a few inches, or rotated, fairly easily when you are re-doing the floor. Much easier than moving it a few feet.

If you change the swing of the door to open against the toilet, it won't feel like you're walking right into the toilet, when you walk into the bathroom.

Try posting on the bathroom forum too. It's pretty active. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/bath

• caligirl5
    4 years ago

I had a jack and jill bathroom and completely redid the layout. I love love love the new bathroom, way more useable space in the bathroom and bedrooms without all the doors swinging everywhere...but the bathroom portion of project was ~$45K with modest finishes in HCOLA. "Before" layout on left and "After" layout on right.

Agree to post your layout to get more ideas.

• Marcy McB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

1. The drawing of the bedrooms is a rough estimate. The bathroom dimensions are accurate.

2. House is 1 story on a slab foundation. The red line is the exterior of the house.

3. I am trying to put the budget together. I am willing to spend whatever I need to make it work better for us. We planned to do the kitchen & floors throughout the house this year but the last owners re-tiled around this bathtub and did not do it correctly. We now have termites. We paid to have them treated, so now we are going to rip out the entire bathroom to renovate. We will likely keep the bathtub, but that is it. I plan to order a free standing vanity rather than having one custom made (72" if the vanity stays in same spot, 60" if we go with option 1 below). We will be doing most of the work ourselves, but I do not mind spending the money to pay a plumber to come in to move plumbing to make the layout work better for us.

4. I would love to move both doors closer to the vanity, but I am trying options moving only 1 door to save money/time. The door moved in Option 3 is the one where the termites got into the frame, so we have to fix that frame/wall anyway. I just think the toilet would fit better on the opposite wall where there is a short wall.

• partim
    4 years ago

Option 1 will likely be much less expensive than the others that require moving the toilet. And I think it's better because options 2 and 3 have doors opening right on to the vanity.

• _sophiewheeler
    4 years ago

I would leave the toilet and move the vanity in order to get rid of the jack and Jill and make it a much more user friendly Hall bath with one door.

Add 3-7K to the average 20-25K 4 piece hall bathroom remodel.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/

• caligirl5
    4 years ago

I like Sophie's idea. I really dislike jack and jill bath especially with guests. It's easy to forget to lock the door, or to lock it and forget to unlock it. Also with jack and jill, the bathroom doors normally stay closed for bedroom privacy, which makes it hard to tell if the bathroom is occupied.

If you keep jack and jill...ignoring any costs concerns, I'd go with option 2, but with the "right" door swinging towards the toilet instead of the vanity. However if this is a guest bath used occasionally, I'd probably go with whichever is more cost-effective.

• Najeebah
    4 years ago

The doors are obstructions. The toilet arrangement is awful, something needs to move. Here are some options.

Edit: Ignore dimension indications in the edits of course

• Anthony C
    4 years ago

I might be weird, but I prefer to have the door open into the larger space. Or maybe change the doors to pocket doors. Moving the vanity in option 1 seems to be the best choice.

• lefty47
    4 years ago

HI -- Leave the toilet where it is now ... but put a new proper size tub where the vanity is now . Have a new vanity where the old tub is now . This way the tub and toilet together could also be put in it's own room with regular walls and a ( pocket ) door . If you did this toilet /tub space , then the vanity could be used while someone used the tub or toilet . Then the two entrance doors can also stay the same . Swapping the tub and vanity positions would be the best for room flow and budget wise .

• lefty47
    4 years ago

HI - Added note ... if you put a new standard tub beside the toilet you will have room to have a linen/towel cabinet at the end of the tub - across facing the toilet .

• PRO
    Pacific Coast Cabinetry
    4 years ago

Pretty French Design · More Info
    You have lots of options that do not include needing to move the lav.

But out of the options you list, one seems to flow well. Good Luck!