SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Replace tiny bathtubs?

AJCN
6 years ago

We have 3 bath/shower combos upstairs that have 60" x 30" alcove tubs. They are all pretty much identical 5' x 8' bathrooms. We are replacing the floor tile and shower-surround tile soon. Looking at the bathtubs, I realize they are so so tiny! The height is only about 13 inches from the tiled floor. Since we are replacing the floors and shower-surrounds, I'm thinking about replacing the tubs also. Am I right that most of the tubs on the market now are more like 19 inches high? The tubs are not cracked or broken, so I could leave them. But I'm a little nervous that after all the nice new clean tile is installed, I will look down at the tubs and regret keeping them.

On the other hand, since the bathrooms are small, would a taller tub look strange? What should I consider in making this decision? As far as resale, I presume a new tub is better than a 30 year old one. We have a bunch of kids and I never bathed them upstairs, always downstairs in the master tub which is 21" tall. I preferred that because I could put them all in at the same time and I never noticed or minded that the tub was that height. Would a 19" step-over height be okay if a future buyer wants to bath their kids upstairs? What do you think?

Comments (20)