Another dish washing question...sink or double sink?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (45)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
cloth for washing dishes
Comments (13)I knit my 100% cotton dish rags (I think I officially now have a lifetime supply - if I can keep my SIL and daughter out of them ;-). I change it daily and the towels daily (one towel color for hands, and another towel color for dishes). When I'm done with the dishes and clean-up, I spritz the flat surfaces, like the table, counters, refrigerator door/handle, etc. with a mild solution of Grapefruit Seed Extract and water to kill bacteria. You can do the same thing with 1 t. bleach in a quart of water (placed in a spritz bottle). This solution will, in effect, also prevent bacteria from growing on your dish rag while it's wet waiting for the next meal. I also hang the dish rag on a rack to air dry between uses. I have a drying rack in my laundry room. I hang the dish rag and dish towels on it after the end of the day to dry over night before tossing them in a designated basket just for kitchen towels. Drying helps prevent bacteria from growing on them and making them smell "sour". -Grainlady...See MoreHow do you wash the dishes?
Comments (25)Pam, like you, I have a single basin sink and I don't like it. i don't have a sprayer either... I try to put most things in the dishwasher... non-stick cookware and straight edge knives usually don't go in the dishwasher, but sometimes they do. Sometimes I'll "soak" a pot for a week just to put off washing it as long as possible :O) Some things like the juicer or halogen oven can't go in the dishwasher and I dread washing them. I will hand wash if I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait, but by the time I'm done, the floor is soaked, I'm soaked, and the lamp and candles on the counter behind the sink are floating off the counter in a cascade of water... I'm even messy when I clean :o) I used to fill the sink with soapy water and rinse in a dish pan of vinegar water and then let things air dry in the drainer (I think dish towels can hold bacteria, so I don't want to wipe dishes that I've just washed with a dish towel that may or may not have bacteria all over it). Now, I wash one dish at a time under running water and just rinse it and put it in the drainer... I just stopped filling the sink and using the dish pan to rinse. I never clean as I go and I have a friend who chastises me for it constantly, but I'm not likely to change... when I'm cooking, that's what I'm doing... after I'm done and when I feel like it, I'll clean everything in one fell swoop....See MoreWashing dishes with baking soda
Comments (33)A few years back, I was at work putting a name brand dishwashing liquid into the dishwasher and some got on my (new!) pants. Immediately my tan pants bleached white. I was horrified to think that we were using a name brand detergent at home and eating off of dishes with this much bleach (or whatever discolored my pants). I looked into making something more natural and tried the borax mix. But this made my glasses permanently cloudy. I looked on EWG to find the greenest brand for the best price. Turns out, Target's Up & Up got a B rating just like a lot of the green brands. I've been using that since. But now that I look today, it's getting a C rating. Disappointing. Might have to go back to the drawing board......See MoreSink-dish drainer? Help me choose a sink, please.
Comments (3)I have a 36 in sink base with a 60/40 double bowl SS undermount sink and I love it. I measured the sink bowls to find one that would fit a small dish drain but I find that the flat rack in the bottom is sufficient and I have never bothered with a drainer. I love the clean look of the counter with no dish drain on it and I like having the smaller sink to dry dishes or rinse something or wash dishes in during holidays. I ended up with the Kraus KBU24 and am very happy with the quality....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNRenovation Detail: The Kitchen Sink Window
Doing dishes is anything but a chore when a window lets you drift off into the view beyond the kitchen sink
Full Story
PHOTO FLIP60 Kitchen Sinks With Mesmerizing Views
Check out this parade of views from the kitchen sink and tell us: Which offers the best backdrop for doing the dishes?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Ways to Configure Your Kitchen Sink
One sink or two? Single bowl or double? Determine which setup works best for you
Full Story
BATHROOM VANITIESShould You Have One Sink or Two in Your Primary Bathroom?
An architect discusses the pros and cons of double vs. solo sinks and offers advice for both
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Sinks: Antibacterial Copper Gives Kitchens a Gleam
If you want a classic sink material that rejects bacteria, babies your dishes and develops a patina, copper is for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHow to Recycle or Reuse Your Kitchen Sink
Give your old sink new life by donating it, selling it or using it in another room of the house
Full Story
KITCHEN SINKSWhy You May Want a Separate Cleanup Sink in Your Kitchen
A cleanup sink plays a distinct role in the kitchen. Here’s what to consider when planning yours
Full Story
OUTDOOR PROJECTSWhat to Know About Adding an Outdoor Sink
Move messy cleanups outside with a hardworking outdoor sink for all your gardening, hosting and crafting needs
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHow to Choose the Right Depth for Your Kitchen Sink
Avoid an achy back, a sore neck and messy countertops with a sink depth that works for you
Full Story


Joseph Corlett, LLC