SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Know How to Roller Skate?

No, I do not. Living and growing up in the country there was little place to skate. I did have very old clip on kind and we put them on in the barn on the concrete floor and scooted around but I would not call that skating. How about you?

Sue

Comments (46)

• User
    6 years ago

Though it’s been many years, I do know how to roller skate. Used to blade skate down at the beach to work out and ice skate at the rinks. Those were fun times.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • sjerin
    6 years ago

I loved to skate, as a kid. I started with skated that needed the key, then was fortunate enough to get the shoe variety that I only had to lace up. Happy times, until I hit that bump in the sidewalk....that happened many times.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • Related Discussions

do you know how to do faux sugaring ?

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the quick response to my question Oddie. I have some bottles of Mod Podge that I haven't used in awhile, sort of forgot about it as a glue. I will give that a try. You are right--the problem I had using the little beads was that they "clumped" too much in places. I'll try just sprinkling them on over some Mod Podge and see if that will work better. Thanks for the help. I always love your creations. I looked at your egg wreath and it looks better than many I have seen in the stores. Great job on it! Luvs
    ...See More

How do you know how a chandelier should hang?

Q

Comments (9)
    I found this: Ms. Wingfield again said that "If it's over a bed or over a walkway, keep it high enough that you can walk underneath it." Seven feet of clearance from the bottom of the fixture to the floor is a good rule of thumb. Centered over a bed, you could probably get away with 6 feet from the bottom of the fixture to the floor.â I guess from there you eyeball it!
    ...See More

Do you know the words to 'Santa's Going Skating'

Q

Comments (2)
    After a long search and rewording on Google, I found this, but I don't know if that is all the words: SantaÂs Going Skating SantaÂs going skating on the Arctic sea, HeÂs having a mid-life crisis thatÂs how it appears to me I guess he has been working hard with all the Christmas bustle I hope he doesnÂt hurt himself, he doesnÂt have much muscle Maybe SantaÂs skating spree will end with one big bruise ItÂs been some time since Santa learned to skate - that is true. I think that Santa soon will find his skating days are done HeÂll have to find another way to have his middle aged fun.
    ...See More

Hey, did you know I could skate?

Q

Comments (5)
    LOL When I let Loki out on Sunday afternoon he fell on the ice too, flat on his stomach. I don't know who was more shocked me or the dog. LOL He wouldn't come back in and stayed on the grass out back and waited until he saw me open the door before he would attempt to cross the ice covered patio. My brother decided we were going to make our annual trek to Kingsville to Lakeshore Park to look at the lights. I could barely get off my porch and I was hooting and hollering when I started to lose control. I don't know why he couldn't have waited to go another day but I was unsure about him driving on the slippery roads. Actually the roads in the county weren't bad but the city roads were slippery. I couldn't believe the bozos on Highway 3 who decided to pass more than 3 cars at a time with oncoming traffic in sight when it was so icey out. They are putting everyone else in jeopardy. Our annual thing is we stop for coffee at Timmy's, eat candy canes in the car, he tells us to close our eyes when he drives by the park, get out (had to walk on the grass because the sidewalks were too icey) find Chip and Mrs Pots and as soon as we find them we leave the park then go eat at McD's. All that driving on a slippery road for 5 minutes in the park. LOLOL He said that it is our tradition but he wants to write the organizers a letter and have them separate Mrs Pots and Chip next year so they are harder to find or don't put them in the same spot every year. LOL I got home and Ken was outside cleaning off his truck. I forgot about the ice and walked across my neighbour's lawn until I stepped onto her flagstone along the driveway then I skated across. LOL I thought for sure I was going to go down but I guess I know how to skate too. LOL Dances, You and your DD are invited to stop by my house any time during the holidays for some Christmas cheer. Anne
    ...See More
  • marylmi
    6 years ago

Yes. Growing up, they had roller skating every Friday night at the town hall.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marylmi
  • User
    6 years ago

I don't skate. I fall.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Yes. I have three grandchildren who love to skate. My grandson is hoping I'll skateboard this summer. We'll see.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michael
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes, I used to skate a lot when I was young. I'd be afraid to try it now.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, there were skating rinks but we never went, too far away. My little granddaughter is having her seventh birthday party at a skating rink and part of the package is they are giving her a month of lessons. She got her new skates, pink ones last eve.

Sue

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Oh yes! I had the clip onto your shoe skates when I was 5yo. But as an adult....my mother joined an aerobics class where they used the roller skates as weights to do floor exercises. I'd join her once a week. I can skate backwards and do cross overs....nothing like spinning or anything.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Ice skated ( a lot ) when I was a kid - at the rink, on a pond, creek, or even a ditch. Never used roller skates, but enjoy rollerblading particularly very early on a Sunday morning with dog in tow.....weather permitting.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Summer
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

I never skated much as a kid, but I do remember the clip on kind. I have a pair of the lace up ones hanging in my attic, along with our roller blades. DH and I used to do that on our little country road when it only had a few cars per day. We haven't done it in years, I expect falling might hurt a little more these days.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked aok27502
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

I did know how to skate as a kid, and did a lot. Afternoons at the roller rink were regular outings. I had my own shoe skates, seems like my sister and I got them for Christmas one year.

It's been a lot of years. I suppose I still could, like riding a bike, once learned you never forget. But it's been a long time since I've skated, and we had no natural ice or ice rinks anywhere close by on which to learn ice skating.

Funny story, but not long married, a group of us decided for old times sake to have a party at the roller rink. Appetizers, a bartender, all adults and being silly. DH was game, always a team player...I didn't know until we arrived he didn't know how to skate, had never had skates. He was raised on a farm, lots of gravel, no pavement. He was surprised to find it more difficult than he'd imagined.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • lily316
    6 years ago

As a kid, I skated all around town with the key around my neck on a string. We had a lot of brick sidewalks so lotta spills resulted in my having perpetually scabby knees for many years.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lily316
  • Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I did when I was a kid.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Fun2BHere
  • susanwv
    6 years ago

Yes, when a kid, on the sidewalks around home. Skate keys bring back memories!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked susanwv
  • bob_cville
    6 years ago

I used the little metal clip-on skates as a kid a few times but they never worked very well and weren't much fun. I also had a cheap skateboard that I mostly used in the yard and once tried riding down our hilly street -- and nearly died, or at least thought I was going to. As an adult I bought inline skates and have used them a couple of dozen times. On flat smooth bike trails in Ohio or Minnesota it was fun. On even slight hills it is very much not fun given that when I try to use the brakes to slow or stop, I have at least a 50% chance of falling.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bob_cville
  • chisue
    6 years ago

I roller skated on the sidewalks in our neighborhood -- seldom at a roller rink. I had lost interest in skating before I was old enough to see the rink as a place where boys and girls socialized. I was never an ice skater; weak ankles. Remember Roller Derby? (Was that only for women?)

Thinking of other 'sidewalk' toys...did anyone else have an Irish Mail?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • ladypat1
    6 years ago

I grew up in the country, but my brownie troop took lessons at the only skate place in town. It had wood floors and was really noisy. Fun, then 6th to7th grade hit the new roller place with that blue vinyl type floor almost every Friday nite and thought it was hot stuff. Nice of my parents to get me there all the time. : )

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ladypat1
  • basilcook3
    6 years ago

Yes! When I was a kid, around 12 years old, we used to play roller skating hockey. All the neighbor kids (about 6 including me) came out. The puck was just a taped together mini sprinkler (it was circle, though!) that was yellow. We used to play in the humid Ohio summer for hours, until dinner time. Then after, we would play until around 9:00, hours after it got dark. We always got injured, but we where having such a fun time we didn't care.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked basilcook3
  • pudgeder
    6 years ago

I used to know how.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked pudgeder
  • wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Remember Roller Derby? (Was that only for women?)

Big fan of 60's Roller derby. It was a coed sport back then. Each team had a women's unit and a men's. At the games they would alternate. Once in a while they would mix. I was a huge Bay Bomber fan. My dad used to take us to the games. Some of the speed club guys went on to Roller Derby. My older brother did some training at the club but never joined up. i was the one that really wanted to. (see my above post regarding parents) I was low to the ground ,fast and fearless. Would have made a good jammer.

I have little to no interest in what passes for Roller Derby today with the women dressing up and going at it. It's supposed to be inclusive and supportive to all women. But that's on the surface.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I loved to roller skate as a child and young girl. I was good. I remember how I used to dream of owning soft white leather skates instead of the ugly brown rentals.

I always figured getting back on skates would be easy and I could show off how good I am to my son Matt who is really good. About 6 years ago I tried...it wasn't a pretty sight ..that's all I'll say. Lol

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mamapinky0
  • pekemom
    6 years ago

Roller skated as a kid, never did ice skate although I wish I had...and at 71 I'm not going to risk it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked pekemom
  • lily316
    6 years ago

In addition to sidewalk skating all the time, in 5th and 6th grade we went to the roller rink a few times a week. There I rented high white skates. I was pretty good. Who knows now. But I did ride all over town in grandson's scooter a few years ago.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lily316
  • phoggie
    6 years ago

I used to love to skate...but would never attempt it now!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked phoggie
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Used to love it as a kid, we had the clip-on kind. We had a double driveway and not too much traffic on the road between us and our neighbor girl. A couple times we went to a real skating rink with rental lace-up shoe skates.

I never tried in-line skates which became popular for a while when I was already in my 30's. And I never skate-boarded. If those things had been around when I was 10 I would have jumped on them right away!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • gigirambles
    6 years ago

Yes! Went all the time as a teen. I remember teaching my son to skate - nothing fancy just going forward - that's all I ever learned. Loved it. Haven't been in several years but wouldn't mind doing it again. Unless I broke a hip.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gigirambles
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Never could skate very well. When my daughter was in kindergarten and grade school, birthday parties at the local skating rink were very popular. I signed her up for lessons and she became an excellent skater. The lessons were before the regular sessions and after the lesson you could stay and skate for a dollar more. She loved skating. My husband could skate and he used to take her and her friends skating. It worked out well because it gave me a little time to myself to do things I would rather be doing....like working with my horses.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

As a child, I adored my roller skates - the kind one clipped to ones shoes. Our concrete driveway was new and smooth and I would skate on it for hours, sometimes venturing out into the street. Our Girl Scout troop would have a once a year party at a roller rink with the skates attached to boots and a wood floor - loved that, too.

Wouldn't try it today on a bet! I do NOT need a broken hip!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Anglophilia
  • wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Funny thing. When I took up ice I sort of lost my roller skating ability. Ice skating is so much easier. It's like power steering versus manual.

All our roller rinks are gone now. I am almost 2 hours away from the nearest one I think.

• stacey_mb
    6 years ago

Growing up, I never learned to roller skate or ice skate. As an adult, I took ice skating lessons but I guess there are some things you need to learn as a kid. I could only "skate" by clinging to the wall and never really progressed from there. Those figure skaters make it look so darn easy!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked stacey_mb
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

I knew how to roller skate and ice skate as a kid. My dad played hockey growing up in Canada and he taught all of his kids to skate on Ice. Ice skating was my favorite of the two. I very much doubt that I'd be able to do either at this point.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

As a kid, my mom gave me her bright white with red wheel skates from her teen years and I loved them. Would skate for hours on our driveway and when the skating rink opened, my friends and I would be there every Friday night.

Begged for roller blades and finally got them for Christmas when I was 15.

Then I started working and had no time for skating. Now I've got kids and they wanted to go skating so I broke out my roller blades and took them to the same rink I always went to.

I'm not as good as I used to be and MAN were my legs and knees sore but I'm happy that I didn't fall!

My daughter wants to have her birthday party there. :)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Texas_Gem
  • Cherryfizz
    6 years ago

I love roller skating and wish I could still do it but after breaking my knee it was too hard to go back. I started roller skating when I was really little, with those metal clip on roller skates. I still had them until a few years ago hanging in the basement. Then when I was about 5 started roller skating at the arena using rented boot skates. I also ice skated there as well. I rented skates until I was in Grade 8, I used to carry my laminated birth certificate in my back pocket of my jeans so I could rent skates and during those years the birth certificate laminated covering cracked but I still use it. We would skate every Friday, Saturday and Sunday until the ice rink was put in and we could barely wait until spring when the ice was removed.

I always had money from babysitting but if my friends didn't we would go to each others houses and gather pop bottles to return to the store for roller skating money. When I was in Grade 8, I came home from school and my brother and his friends were standing at the curb in front of my house. He called me over and gave me a big box and inside were the most beautiful pair of white boot roller skates. I was in shock because my brother and I just barely tolerated each other. He was 6 years older than I was. It was the best gift and to this day right up there with the Kitchen Aid stand mixer my younger brother gave me for Christmas that I had ever received. I took those skates in the house, and pulled down the tongue and drew flowers and put my name on them.

I went roller skating that Friday night, put the skates on so excited and noticed something was wrong. I was in tears. One skate was smaller than the other one and it was too tight for my foot. I went home and didn't know what to say to my brother because we couldn't return them because I had marked them up with the flowers. The next day my brother took me to the neighbourhood cycle shop where he purchased the skates and because it was the stores fault the wrong size was in the box they gave me a new pair and I took them home and didn't put a mark on them.

Everything revolved around roller skating during my teenage years. We were all heartbroken when the arena decided to keep the ice year round for hockey and figure skating. Then in my 20's a new roller skating rink opened up and I reconnected with many roller skating friends I hadn't seen in a few years. We were adults now so we went to the adult skating sessions twice a week which were a lot of fun. Then after many years that closed down and a few years later another roller skating location opened but it was too far out but I did go a few times until I broke my knee and tried a few more times after that but I was always in pain. So I skated until I was in my 40's.

My friend Laurie who is a poet wrote a poetry book called The Truth About Rollerskating and our beloved arena. She needed a pair of roller skates for the cover of the book so I gave her mine to use in the picture. Over the years I still used the same skates my brother gave me when I was in Grade 8 but over the years i replaced the wheels many times with newer ball bearing wheels and a a few new stoppers. I need to get my skates back from Laurie but she takes them with her for display when she sells her books at various events.

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

I started roller skating in the 8th grade and continued through high school, I never became a great skater partly because of being in a remote farm community, but mostly there wasn't enough discretionary cash to support this activity. In the colder months, it was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

When I left home to work my way through college, There was a nice roller rink about a mile from my rented room. It featured a live organist. I whiled away a few hours rhere on a few weekends.

I found a girlfriend in that town and her parents gave me pair of speed ice skates. We skated together on local lagoons. I could go fast but was never really proficient. After graduation from college, I used those skates a few times and then put them away. I think I still have those skates but have not seen them in 20 years.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jemdandy
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

We had a roller skating rink in our small little town...don't know how we rated that but we had one! I was never good, only forward skated, nothing fancy, but I did know how to skate. I went skating once after I'd gotten older but didn't feel comfortable on skates any more. I rolled around the rink a little but then took off the skates, I'd had enough of that! HAHA!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arkansas girl
  • MrsM
    6 years ago

I could never ever get the hang of roller skates! But I could ice skate. I have no idea why. When my kids were in their preteens, I tried out roller blading..nope still couldn't do it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked MrsM
  • janey_alabama
    6 years ago

I learned to ice skate first then got roller skates. It was easier to learn to ice skate.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked janey_alabama
  • wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Well I just drug my old skates out and put them on. (or maybe DD's) I didn't check since we were near the same boot size at that time. I surprised myself by being able to forward stroke up and down the hallway without falling on my butt. Been over 25 years since I put them on. Yay me. I was surprised that the boots are still in good shape except they would need new tongues.

Update: I am able to say yes! I can still roller skate. I was able to stroke, turn and do the hokey pokey. Not well but with decent balance. My dog thinks I am nuts. I tried skating backwards but my hallway wasn't wide enough to get an edge. It's amazing how we retain muscle memory.

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

I roller skated in my youth on the sidewalks of main street in the small town I lived in. All the town kids skated there. Skates were the clamp on type. Remember keeping track of the key that was necessary to adjust the skates to your shoes? In high school there were monthly bus trips that took us high schoolers to a nearby town that had an indoor skating rink. I could even dance to the music there a little in my roller skates. Could never get the hang of ice skating, but I tried.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lgmd_gaz
  • chisue
    6 years ago

Roller Rinks. Bowling Alleys. Going, going, almost gone.

A college boyfriend took me bowling once. I'd never done it before. We were both surprised that, after one gutter ball, I beat him handily. (No, he wan't 'being nice'; he was pretty unhappy about, since he'd been bowling for years.)

Our DGS currently sets pins in an 'antique' of a bowling alley that is in their church's community center -- said to be the second oldest in Chicago.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

I think I still have my bright blue suede skates (from the 1980s outdoor skating fad) around somewhere. We were living in San Diego at the time they were gifted to me, and skating was popular down at Mission Bay.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

Yes and I used to win races sometimes. Those were fun times.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked kittymoonbeam
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

I had clip-on roller skates from a young age and old 65-year-old scars on my knees to prove it. When I was in St. Joe, Indiana in the late 50's/early 60's I remember going to an indoor rolling skating rink on the weekend hearing the rock and roll of the times. Also ice skated during that time and into my college years.

Now - it would be suicide lol.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I could roller skate but never roller blade or ice skate. I was never a speed demon.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bossyvossy
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

My parents were both very good skaters and they used to take us roller skating. It was one thing my father would actually do with us--he didn't like sports, concerts, or camping. We had the clip-on skates for the neighborhood sidewalks, but rented skates at the rink. I was thrilled when my feet grew big enough that I could use my mom's white leather skates.

My kids started skating early, with the little plastic toddler skates, then we bought them their own skates and eventually roller blades. I just bought skates for both of my grandsons.

The local rink where my kids skated was recently sold and turned into a Dollar Tree. I hadn't been there to skate in many years, and I wouldn't even try it now.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH