SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

February 2018, Week 1: Planting Time Draws Closer

Here we are, it is February and before you know it, we'll be planting actual seeds and plants in the ground. Woo hoo! Now, if only it would rain so they will grow. In the meantime, sowing seeds indoors and wintersowing will have to suffice.

I'm starting seeds indoors today, Lord willing and if the creek don't rise. It seems unlikely that fire will interfere in my gardening plans today since we have very dense, thick fog (I know it eventually will burn off) and very high relative humidity values. I'm hoping the moist air sticks around all day today like it did yesterday.

For anyone who doesn't have this document saved somewhere, here's the OSU Garden Planning Guide, linked below, where planting dates for cool-season plants start as early as February 15th for folks in the more southeastern portions of the state. Yay! It is almost time. Since I'm in south-central and not southeastern OK, I usually don't start planting on the 15th unless we are very, very warm and staying that way. I usually wait at least 4 or 5 days because it really is a bit warmer in SE OK than in SC OK most of the time, especially overnight. If we are having bad cold spells, I often wait until early March. Plants that go into the ground too early when it is too cold just sit there and don't grow much while they simultaneously are at risk for cold injury (which often is not visible but affects productivity later), so why put your garden plants at risk?

OSU Garden Planning Guide

Wildfires continue and remember that the same low RH values and strong winds that help the fires spread can be hard on your landscape plants, so if you aren't getting any rainfall, remember to water even the dormant plants about once a month. Plants that have moist roots are less likely to suffer freeze damage than those with dry roots, so remember that when the big cold spell gets here.

More and more gardening supplies are appearing in the stores almost daily, making it one of my most favorite times of the year. Although....the last 3 or 4 times I've been in a store it mostly has been to grab supplies we need either for the fire station or for feeding the firefighters, so I haven't had time to look at and buy gardening supplies. I can wave and smile at the gardening supplies as I run past them, but I haven't had a chance to stop and visit with them and invite some to come home with me yet. I hope to actually buy some gardening related stuff today on a trip to the stores made 100% for that purpose. I did notice yesterday that Walmart had containerized fruit trees lining the sidewalk outside the garden center. I need some fruit trees, but I don't know that I'll buy any today. Mine are getting old and borer-infested and need to be cut down.

What's up with y'all this week?

Dawn

Comments (120)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths