SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2018, Week 1

Hello, December, you dark, gloomy long month of short days that ends our calendar year!

Is anyone doing garden work this week? I am not. I will, however, be continuing to decorate the house for Christmas and I use lots of faux and dried florals and greenery in all the decorations. When you live in our climate and have forced-air heating, the air just stays too dry for real evergreen greenery indoors. Even beautiful fresh greenery turns brown and drops needles too quickly to be viable indoors for long. The fake greenery and the dried stuff don't look as good as living plants and fresh, real greenery but at least it lasts.

The strong winds of the last few days brought down what was left of the leaves in our trees. Between the bare, naked trees and the wheat-colored fields, suddenly it looks more like winter than ever. The herbs that have been hanging on and looking pretty good in the garden are likely to get slapped down pretty hard by the cold nights that are returning in force this week.

We've had a big wasp trying to come into the house the last few days, despite me telling it "no, no, no" over and over again. We still have moths and a few butterflies, but I haven't seen any grasshoppers lately. We also still have spiders, flies and Asian lady beetles. Don't they know it is winter time?

I noticed at Wal-Mart this weekend that a ton of holiday decorations and such had sold and they're already starting to push it into a somewhat smaller area and consolidate it. So, hopefully, the lawn and garden center will regain some shelves from the holiday madness soon and they they can start putting early season gardening supplies on the store shelves.

We do not have any snow in our forecast for this week, but we do have a slim chance of freezing rain at the end of the week. I figure some of you who are further north do have snow in your forecast for late in the week. Right? Maybe it stays mostly west. Who knows what will happen. I love snow but don't know that I'm really ready for it to feel quite that wintery yet.

We finished getting the lights up on the exterior of the house. The Christmas trees in the mudroom and living room are up and fully decorated, which took many, many hours and some 'help' from the grandkids. Other areas that get tabletop displays and such are decorated as well. I still need to do a few holiday-type decorating things, but I think I'll finish them tomorrow or the next day. Maybe then I can spend more time looking at the seed catalogs and figuring out what I want to order.

December is not my favorite month. The days are so short and just keeping getting shorter and shorter.....it already feels like it gets dark far too early. Of course, the good thing is that January follows December and we usually can start planting some things (indoors or out, depending on your geographical location) in January.

I've been carrying the pots of amaryllis bulbs out each day to get some sun, and then back in at night. That's about to end with this new cold weather. I'll probably move them to the sunroom and just hope the cats don't destroy them.

Have a great first week of December everyone.

Dawn

Comments (36)