SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacoblockcuff

My "Greenhouse"

Hey everyone. I've been meaning to share what I'm calling my greenhouse with everyone. I built this a couple days ago and my plants seem to be taking to it well. It gets anywhere from 4-6 hours of full sun, and is increasing every day as the sun rises.

Basically, it's a low tunnel. I have 10 ft. length PVC pipe bent and a 12x20 ft. Strip of 6 mil greenhouse plastic lain over top and weighed down. This has consistently kept the greenhouse very warm during the day. For example, today we got up to about 40 here. The greenhouse was sitting at 75 while being vented ever so slightly. It's great! With the sun off this evening it's stayed around 55-60. This is plenty enough warmth for the cool season crops I'm starting right now like onions. I am hoping to get a tub, paint it black, fill it with water, and place it inside soon to provide a heat source at night. The idea is that the black will absorb the heat, heat up the large body of water mass, and then slowly release it at night when it's very cold out. I'm skeptical as to HOW well this will work with our lows being in the teens on average at this time of year, but we shall see. The nice thing is that this low tunnel is very close to the garage, so I can bring a heater out of the garage and place it inside this tunnel to run at night, plugged in inside the garage. Of course, my seedlings can always just be brought inside the garageover night as well.

I set up a small shelf inside to place seedlings on, I have aluminum foil for sun reflection and gained sun intensity. I will modify this set up, and I'll probably adjust the foil and move it around to a better place. This is the start!

Don't let the pictures deceive you. It's fairly roomy inside. I'm 5'9" and able to sit down inside very comfortably. In fact, I was inside sitting down tending to seedlings earlier. It's lovely to sit down inside for a bit with the warmth. I get to hear the birds outside, which is great in the middle of winter. I was joking earlier that I need a little hula dancer figure and a palm tree bobblehead figure next to her inside. Haha

Inside of this, I have onions and leeks only so far. I started these on January 22nd, and they seem happy. The only thing I've started at the moment is peas for leaves to eat in salads, some Rouge Grenobloise Batavian lettuce, some Rocky Top mix lettuce, some collards, some kale, Bloomsdale Long Standing spinach, and mustard greens. I probably couldn't put the greens out until early April here normally with our frequent March snows or cold lows here in the Ozarks, but I'm going to try and put out my greens in early March under cover. I'd love to be picking when most other people around here are planting! We have a 50% chance of last frost at April 22nd, and usually sometime in early to mid May is when all danger is past, so I figure I'll likely put my onions and leeks out late March once we quit going below 20 at night, weather permitting.

I will be starting many brassicas and cool weather crops later this month inside, but I'll probably hold out for warm weather crops like tomatoes until mid March. It'll be much easier to monitor temperatures by then, and our daylight hours will hit 12 about that time, which is much more ideal than our just above 10 right now for warm season crops.

what do you think?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!