SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Explosion emminent in Englewood !

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just feel I need to warn everyone about the huge burst of energy that is about to happen in my hometown of Englewood ! Such a quiet, sleepy, peaceful little hamlet on the Gulf,..just hope it survives !

Below will show the Glenn mango tree that will be the source of the eruption. Have only been growing mango trees for 17 yrs here on Florida's southwest coast, - but seldom have I seen a tree this size ( planted 8 yrs ago at 6 1/2 ' tall,..now a robust 22' tall x 24' wide ) in so short a time,..only my last Valencia Pride was larger/faster ! Had to cut that giant down,..but just planted his successor a month ago ! ( smile )

But this guy is a trooper,..all this amazing growth, IN SPITE of Irma and two close-to-freezing nights just recently !!!

Felt I had to take these pics now, before the flowers & fruits burst forth. The amount of pannicles everywhere is breathtaking,..IMHO anyway ! Am predicting a crop of 150 + juicy Glenn mango's from this tree alone by July 15th !!! Must now warn any adventurous squirrel or wabbit,..stay away as I will be scanning around like an osprey ! Don't whine later that I didn't warn you !

I have spoken, now let the eruption begin ! LOL

My pride and joy,..TLC does pay off !!

A bajillion gettin' ready ! A close up,..every branch has pannicles,..EVERY ONE !!! !

Lookin' forward to some good reading,..with a cold brewsky,..looking up frequently,..with my shotgun nearby,..scanning around for some wascailly wabbits,...like my old pal Elmer Fudd !! LOL

Comments (10)

• 6 years ago

It will be fun to watch the explosion in progress pictures!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
  • 6 years ago

Will do SMC,...don't anticipate any more cold spells so am confident it'll be a bonanza. Pics sure to follow !

• 6 years ago

While I was out watering my vast plantation (smile) at 06:00 am this morning, I decided to take a closer look at my huge Glenn tree again. First off, I noticed the 11 slightly brown-leaved branches that succumbed to the 3 or so ultra cold nights we experienced over the last 2 months...naturally they were panicle-less.

Then, poking in deeper I saw a few...very few... branches that actually were a healthy looking green, but without a panicle!! Didn't pursue this venture further...5 minutes was enough. Just let me say that to be as accurate as possible... and diffuse any doubters - recalling my angelic youth ( was a good pal of Babe Ruth's, but that's for another post ! )...I am guessing there must be 200 + branches ready to explode ! Easy to see I didn't have anything urgent to do today...Super Bowl doesn't start till much later. ( smile )

OK, so only about 98 % of the Glenn mango tree branches are loaded up,..will still be a bonanza like I haven't experienced before. Must be 200 + branches all ready to explode ! Bring it on,..I'm ready !! LOL

• 6 years ago

Jofus,

My Bailey's Marvel is also in full bloom right now. It seems to be a alternate year bearing tree. Last year was 2 mangos, hoping for a better harvest this year. We did not experience any frost here, so no damage to the trees.

Do you spray your trees for fungus or anthracnose's?

I also have a small Carrie that is just starting to bloom. Hope to get 1 or 2 mangos off it so I can see if they live up to their reputation.

Thanks

Craig

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
  • 6 years ago

Hi Craig,

Am glad to hear your Bailey's Marvel is loaded like my Glenn is. I never heard of trees blooming in alternate years until my first trip to The Philippines when I was told ALL their mango trees bloom every 2 yrs !

Yes I do spray my Liquid Copper Fungicide each year, do 2 applications, two weeks apart, - getting ready for 1st one in a week or so. Learned to do that early on, right after planting my 1st ( and only ) Nam Doc Mai ! Yikes, that tree was green with fungus every year ! Eventually had to cut it down,,,just too much TLC for me. These others I have don't seem to need the spray but I do it anyway,...can't hurt !

Good luck with your Carrie,...another mango tree that didn't work out for me. Taste was bland, couldn't give them away to the friends who loved all the others ( Kent, Glenn, Tebow and Valencia Pride ). Also they don't ripen as normally as the others do. Have heard there's some people who do like them,...none live anywhere near here though ! LOL

Please keep us informed how your season goes !

Good luck !!

• 6 years ago

Well- when you need help with all that fruit, you let us know. I'll be glad to "help" you. :-) YUM! Congrats on your impending fruitfulness.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked ibarbidahl
  • 6 years ago

The little Carrie is blooming good now. It's about 2-3 weeks behind the Baileys. I had heard a lot of good things about the Carrie so thought to give it a try. Hope to have that answer this year. I will definitely let you know how the season produces. Always appreciate your help.

Craig

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
  • 6 years ago

ibarbidahl : Thanks for your comment, will advise if I need help ! ( smile )

Craig : I wish you luck with both your trees. I've conversed with more than a few growers who swear by the Carrie, hopefully you'll be one of them. Looking forward to hearing how your season goes !

• 6 years ago

Thought I heard a rumble earlier this morning, so ran out with my camera,....tentatively approaching the huge Glenn mango tree ! Peering in close I saw them,..baby mango's ALL OVER THE PLACE ! So ran back inside and got my Canon Macro lens !!!

The entire flowering panicle turns color...a deeper red/brown as the mangoes start to develop.

Gotta have a special lens to take these close-ups...flowers are only 1/4 " in diameter and the plump baby mangoes in the middle are only 1/8" in diameter !!!! . I have a plethora of tiny baby Glenn mango's, getting ready to test the strength of the tree's branches !

The black spots are tiny, almost microscopic bugs that are busy pollinating !

I realize that most of these tiny mangoes I see popping out now will not make it to a full sized fruit,...but it's just the huge number of them !! Have never seen any tree sprouting this many fruit's at this time of the season ! Assuming no more hurricanes or super high winds, it should be a banner year,...for the Glenn anyway ! ( smile )