SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Project Linus

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

Long story short, our library started a knitting thing for Project Linus which ran for 3 weeks. Project Linus is an organization that provides homemade blankets to critically ill children or children in the ER. (Remember Linus from Peanuts?)

We decided we liked getting together enough that it's morphed into a knitting/crochet group. People can work on their own projects or whatever they want. I end up doing a lot of teaching as it includes girls and women who want to learn.

I've decided to continue to use up my scrap yarn to make blankets for Project Linus and will be collecting them from others in the group so they can be passed on to area hospitals.

Here's one I just completed...not bad for scraps.

Next I'll do a baby blanket...

Comments (35)

• H B
    6 years ago

What a gorgeous blanket, wow! Its a beautiful the texture in your stitch pattern. That will be a very comforting blanket!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked H B
  • irma
    6 years ago

Not bad is a huge under statement! Your work is beautiful.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked irma
  • Related Discussions

Reply from Quilt store about Project Linus donation

Q

Comments (9)
    i just got an email from Project Linus. I thought you might want to see this email: Hello! I am writing you to let you know that the store called me about your letter and offered to try to make amends. They asked if I wanted time or fabric. I said that I would like 2 days free use of their longarm machine and that is indeed what I did. We had a backlog of quilts to be quilted, 125 to be exact. I do not own a longarm and had just taken classes, so for me it was perfect. I was able to quilt 10 baby size quilts in the 2 days. A small dent in our pile but a dent! I just wanted to let you know that this happened. l know that what they did was not right, but at least they realized their mistake and have tried to fix it for the future. Maria SimpsonCoordinator for Project Linus I'm pleased. bkay
    ...See More

Latest for Project Linus

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks colleen, I've done that, but the squares are a total butt-pain to sew together and then they need a border. And I've done so many blankets now, I'm ready for a change.
    ...See More

Project Linus blanket-- lucky #13

Q

Comments (28)
    Finally finished this blanket, made from scraps: Put a wider border around the sides to make the green (I ran out) change more “planned looking” 😂 Will be donating it to my charity group, this year’s efforts are being divided between Nepal, Ukraine and Melbourne (Australia)’s homeless. The local charities prefer acrylic for washability but as refugee camps tend to have open fires and limited washing facilities, we only send wool garments for safety.
    ...See More

#14 Project Linus Blanket...

Q

Comments (10)
    Simply gorgeous! Your artistic skills amaze me! You have a good eye for color combinations too. A masculine vibe translates to earthy....grounded.....warm and cozy. All good things!
    ...See More
  • katlan
    6 years ago

Nice. What a wonderful project.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked katlan
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Good for you, Annie. Your beautiful blankets will brighten the recipient's day.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Summer
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Very pretty!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Chi
  • hooked123
    6 years ago

That is gorgeous!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked hooked123
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

Beautiful blanket, lovely idea!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Alisande
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oakparker, thank you for letting me know. It's nice to know when one's efforts are appreciated.

I was talking to a nurse the other day, and she said they give blankets with stuff in them to the parents whose newborns don't survive so they don't go home empty handed. I thought that was wonderful too...anything to help ease that horrible pain.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Dang...that's soooooo pretty! Your quite the accomplished expert! A great cause!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nicole___
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

That is a wonderful project and such beautiful results! Definitely a keepsake.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

This is wonderful - something good for everyone.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

What a great cause and beautiful, wonderful work Annie! And it’s so great you all still get together and teach others. I have long since let my knitting skills lapse and wish I had listened to my grandmother who tried to teach me to crochet many years ago.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Thank you for your generous service and expression of love and empathy.

We have a chapter in the area and they stand out as a most distinguished service to local children's hospitals.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Michael
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Beautiful blanket & noble project

Annie Deighnaugh thanked bossyvossy
  • chessey35
    6 years ago

It's beautiful. I used to make baby hats for a local hospital before we moved. They gave every newborn a hand-knitted hat and had more than 5000 deliveries a year. It doesn't appear at the hospitals here have such a program.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked chessey35
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

I absolutely LOVE those colors! ! !

I've recently gone back to crocheting after doing none for 30+ years, and am really enjoying it. I've discovered that there are many more new (to me) stitches now than there were then. Or maybe that's just because the Internet opens up so many more sources of information. What is the stitch you used on this? Or is there a pattern name you could share, please?

I have no idea whether our hospital has a program like you describe, but I would love to make baby things to donate to them if they do. But I need a lot more practice first! I will be checking it out before too long.

Rusty

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Rusty
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Oh what a beautiful blanket you have created and for such a wonderful cause.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lindaohnowga
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Very nice. Do they specify the materials to be used, I presume they need to be washable at a high temperature by hospitals?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rusty, that was crochet that's called "corner to corner". Rather than work across in rows, it's done diagonally...the result is a pattern that has no wrong side...both sides look the same. If you look on you tube, you will find a number of videos that show how to do it. It's quite simple.

Because the pattern creates squares, it's good for doing 'mosaics' so you can create any pattern with color that you want...images, monograms, whatever. GF had a grandson recently so I made him a bear baby blanket. The body is corner to corner and the rest is rows of crochet around it to create the border.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Elmer, they don't specify materials. The blankets belong to the child to whom they're given. I did see reference though that the nurses prefer patterns that don't have a lot of holes or spaces for things like IV lines and such to catch on. If you look at the website linked above, you can find out more including some suggested patterns or types of blankets.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Your blankets are stunning and your heart is gold!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Beautiful work and what a generous and thoughtful action to not only help with this project, but to also teach interested knitters.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • foggyj2
    6 years ago

Beautiful work! We have a sewing group in our neighborhood, that makes things for Project Linus. We do the fleece blankets that tie around the edges. We have about 40 people who work on this, and give the hospitals, and fire dept. sometimes 50 blankets or more. Great project for a good cause. Our knitting group makes the baby hats too, for hospitals. And prayer shawls.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked foggyj2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

foggy, glad to know others are involved.

I've seen those fleece blankets where they use a cutter to punch holes in the edges and then make crocheted edges through the holes to finish the blankets.

I know other women who get involved in making chemo camps for patients who are under cancer treatment and lose their hair. Lots of suffering and need out there for sure.

• socks
    6 years ago

I think Sheila used to do that with doubled flannel, crocheting the edges. Turns out very nice.

Annie, our friends lost their baby at birth. It was brought to them in a hand crocheted blanket, not a hospital blanket. The minute I saw the blanket I knew some loving person had made it. I cannot thank her/him, so I will thank you for what you do.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked socks
  • foggyj2
    6 years ago

It's nice to hear from a recipient of these objects. Living in the south, we don't need a lot of warm apparel, so glad to be able to do for others.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked foggyj2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's very sweet, Socks. I'm so glad that these simple acts of kindness can mean so much to the recipients. It's most encouraging and I will share these stories with others in our group.

• User
    6 years ago

I love it!!!, what a great cause too. I think that is the perfect pattern for stashed yarn, it’s fun and looks so pretty when it’s done!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!!! And what a fantastic cause!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Jasdip
  • clearwaters
    6 years ago

I can honestly say that crocheting for charity saved my life, literally. Five, six years ago I was in a very dark place. My son had sustained life-threatening injuries in an accident. I could hardly function for the crying and worrying.

Then we got hit with back to back hurricanes. The county flooded. Families had to evacuate. Kids were left with the clothes on their backs and flip flops on their feet. School opening was delayed by a month. It was that bad.

We're a small, rural county. People just started pulling together. Wal Mart donated shoes and sneakers to every school aged child. Others donated clothes. I started crocheting.

I got out the scraps. I started making hats and mittens. Eventually I concentrated on hats because I could get more hats done in the time it took to make a pair of mittens.

Someone saw me crocheting at the library and asked what I was working on. So happens, she was the president of the ladies auxiliary at her church. She asked for donations of scraps and passed them on to me. By the time Christmas came around, I had more than 100 hats that were distributed through the schools.

I kept going. I worked like a crazy person for 3 years. It was a mission. Eventually, every kid that wanted one, got a hat. I'd go to Wal Mart to shop and see a kid in a hat I made. It made me cry. It also helped my smile again.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked clearwaters
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow clearwaters, that's quite a mission you were on and so glad it was so successful. Your efforts clearly paid off for you and for all those children who enjoyed your wonderful hats. Thank you.

• Julie
    6 years ago

Wow Annie, I'm envious of your talent. I would love to have someone like you teaching me. I always told my mom "someday, I want you to teach me to knit". Well, someday never came and she passed away unexpectedly. You are so kind to offer your skills as a knitted blanket, but also to teach others. :)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Julie
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, if you want to learn, there are many videos on youtube that take you through the very basics. The nice part about that is you can repeat the confusing parts as many times as you want until you figure it out. They're far more patient than my grandmother ever was! :)

• Marcy
    6 years ago

Absolutely beautiful work!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Marcy