SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Where to buy nice stainless steel flatware?

Kendrah
6 years ago

We need new, dishwasher safe, stainless steel flatware and would like buy some either made in USA, France, or elsewhere in Europe. I have only been able to find Liberty, which is made in USA and not my cup of tea, and a few lines from William Sonoma made in France, which get mixed reviews. Any recommendations for brands or stores that carry what I'm looking for.

(Don't know if this is the right place to post or not. If you have suggestions of where else to post, please let me know.)

Comments (43)

• sonni1
    6 years ago

I'm using a style by WMF. It's often on sale and the quality is good.

• User
    6 years ago
    following. All I found was liberty which wasn't really what I wanted.
  • Related Discussions

new stainless steel flatware rusting

Q

Comments (10)
    I occasionally have the same problem with my Lennox 18/10. I'm not sure of the cause but suspect it might be related to overexposure to acidic things such as tomato sauce. I use enzyme-based detergent so I don't rinse anymore but try to make an exception on my flatware after a night of Italian. I asked about it at a Lennox outlet where they shrugged their shoulders but suggested I try Barkeepers Friend on it. Works like a charm. I do it as needed which is usually every few months. In fact I just did it this past weekend. Use enough water and rub gently so you don't scratch your knives. - James
    ...See More

Suggestions for nice flatware set?

Q

Comments (13)
    Oneida,,the heirloom collection patterns (someone else said different levels,,agree) Reed and Barton I've used for everyday for a long time and just great. QVC has got everyone beat on the price and size of the their sets. I got a fantastic deal via Costco,, and was so nice and heavy etc. Don't know if it will stand the test of time but we'll see. Oneida has outlets you know. If you are looking for the best deal on the best quality you might call one of their outlets and talk to a store person and see what you can get. That is how I got my Oneida set from the Heirloom category. Very heavy,,I like the continental size (bigger than the ordinary). Eventually it did discontinue but I haven't needed to replace any yet and one I happened to find on EBay and bought it anyway. Just a thought. Replacements.com can always get you what you want for replacing lost pieces.
    ...See More

where to buy double bowl stainless steel sink

Q

Comments (10)
    A sink was a hard decision for us. I think so many people here buy really expensive sinks. I found a bunch of ss sinks on ebay and was concerned because I could save so much. I was concerned because I couldn't find what the catch was. looked at lowes and HD and could look at the cheap ss sinks and tell that they were cheap. I asked our granite guy about them and he said that is what he has in his own house and he can't hardly tell the difference when set side by side, so I took the leap and bought a sink off of ebay from sink direct. I have to say...It looks great, I don't think it looks anything like the cheap things at Lowes and HD. They had so many different shapes and sizes to choose from. Mine is a 1 deeper larger bowl and 1 shallower smaller for $120 shipping included, I just need to buy a second strainer because it only came with one.
    ...See More

Black stainless vs stainless steel for my black-walnut kitchen ?

Q

Comments (16)
    This is going to be beautiful! I'd go with stainless to lighting things up a bit. Also, I'm suspicious of the coating they use to make black stainless and I think the stainless will wear better.
    ...See More
  • Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've never heard of WMF. Just checked out their site. Thanks for the recommendation.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just google images of "Finnish stainless flatware" Swedish stainless

flatware, Italian flatware etc. Most will be sold by US retailers.

• User
    6 years ago

We have had Oneida flatware since 1981 and use it daily. In the dishwasher every day. It is really wonderful. Perfect weight. I have replaced a lot of our plates and glasses over the last 35+ years, but never this silverware. It looks the same as when we got it. I expect to use it to the day we die. Seriously. I don't know if they make what we have now, but it is similar to this https://www.oneida.com/flatware/casual-flatware/colonial-boston.html

good luck

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

According to the results of a lawsuit...”Sherrill Manufacturing of Oneida County, America's only remaining flatware maker, has won a dispute over companies that falsely claimed their forks, knives and spoons are made in the United States...the victory is expected to boost Sherrill Manufacturing.”

• KD
    6 years ago

Liberty is limited styles, but it is really nicely made.

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

I just purchased a set of flatware from Sherrill. All sourced and made in the U.S. I had been eyeing this company for five years and took the plunge. The first set I purchased from them, I did not like the knives as they were not hollow core. It was their introductory line and more affordable. I requested a return and then ordered a set with the hollow core. It was not cheap but I did not care. The hollow core feels so much nicer. All of their items are well made. The customer service was excellent.

I also own a set of WMF made in China, not Europe. Not hollow core. Pretty, but I like the Sherrill so much better. Funny, I plan on using the Sherrill everyday and will use the WMF for entertaining as it is a bit more fancy and sleek. Looks but no substance. An European-made or Korean WMF set is of higher quality.

Sherrill purchased the factory from Oneida after they moved the remaining bits of their U.S. operations overseas in the 90s. All Oneida is now made off shore. Sherrill struggled to keep it afloat for quiet some time, but I believe they are now expanding and doing well.

ETA: Sherrill will send samples on request. Just the forks, not the knives. I too struggled as the designs were limited. I like simple, clean modern lines not traditional. I ended up choosing the Mallory. A classic tear drop shape in a flat matte finish. Looks modern enough.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

If you want good weight, go with stainless flatware that is designated 18/10. I can't say I've ever seen any stainless flatware that I really liked - even very high end from a restaurant supply house. I use my sterling every day. Yes, I DO hand wash it, but that takes no time at all, even if I have a crowd here. It makes everything taste better, including the frozen Chinese prepared dinner I will be eating tonight (been under the weather and am tired of soup).

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I've been using my Oneida Paul Revere since 1966, and I added to it about 30 years ago to have set for 12, plus I have ordered a few replacement pieces and double serving pieces.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The problem I ran into with googling a country + flatware is that you end up with so many results of items that are designed in European countries but manufactured in Vietnam, China, or Indonesia.

Good to know about Sherrill, I have never heard of them before.

Anglo- I agree, everything is better on sterling but I am lazy as hell and would not end up hand washing it. I've been using some odds and end silverplate forks, toss them in the dishwasher regularly and they look like hell.

What does 18/10 refer to?

• User
    6 years ago

18/10 refers to the percentages of chromium and nickel in the stainless steel alloy. The "18" refers to the chromium content, which gives flatware its rust-resistance properties, and the "10" refers to the nickel content, which gives it its silver-like shine and some rust-resistance.

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

Kendrah, Sherrill and Liberty are the same. Sherrill is their manufacturing name and Liberty is the brand name. It is 18/10 and dishwasher safe.

May I ask which look do you like? Are you wanting something really modern and streamlined? There are only two from Sherrill/Liberty that don't have a lot of detailing unfortunately. They have a goofy one called Skulls that tries to appeal to a younger crowd, but it completely misses the mark to me.

If you don't like their styles, then WMF is a good choice. To find out where the WMF was made, I called. My set for 12 place settings was so cheap in comparison to the other styles, I wanted to find out why. It is kind of like All-Clad -- they make the majority of their pans here but you will sometimes find a really good bargain at Sur Latable or Williams Sonoma. Two skillets for less than $100, but if you investigate the packaging closely, it will indicate that it is made in China. I am not saying it is low quality, but just something to be aware of.

Get samples if you can to hold in your hand. The knives are really important to see as that is where you can really see/feel a quality difference.

• olsenla
    6 years ago
    I have had a set of Pfaltzgraff flatware that I bought years ago. Love it! Check out their patterns at www.pfaltzgraff.com.
  • Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Seems that Pfaltzgraff dishes are unfortunately now made in China. I presume their flatware is too but could not easily find info on that.

I'm not in love with Liberty.

I like a classic bistro kind of look: nothing too scrolling nor too modern. I enjoy heft in a handle, a handle that has a thickness to it - not just the knife but all of the pieces.

Here are a few sets I am researching:

Just found these on Houzz. More casual than I was anticipating, and I'm not usually into plastic at all, but I really like these. Le Prix Flatware - Now I just have to figure out where they are manufactured.

Le Prix 20-Pc. Flatware Set in White · More Info

Love the shape of this pewter flatware made in Italy, carried by William Sonoma, but it is not dishwasher safe. Would be pleased do find something similar in stainless and US or European made.

• sonni1
    6 years ago

Update on WMF. May be made in Vietnam.

Kendrah thanked sonni1
  • Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the update Sonni1.

Pippabean - Chinese manufacturers know best how to make things very cheaply because they don't have to pay minimum wage, provide health insurance, follow child labor laws, or ensure safety for their workers. Additionally, it is rare that I find something made in China to be better quality than an equivalent piece made in France.

• DYH
    6 years ago

I love my Villeroy & Boch. I've been using it for at least 12 years. Great weight, durability.

• Sue 430
    6 years ago

I like Alessi, the brand is Italian, but not sure if it’s made there

• sonni1
    6 years ago

Check silversuperstore.com for flatware not made in china.

Kendrah thanked sonni1
  • User
    6 years ago

Pippabean -lol! Regarding the lecture on China you received from the OP: I guess your little "China" joke went right over her head...

• zmith
    6 years ago

I went through this after Thanksgiving when I realized I needed a larger set. None of the Liberty patterns suited me. Wound up buying vintage Oneida on ebay, because of the made in China issue with all new flatware.

Funny seeing the white riveted set that Kendrah is considering, because I still have my set like that bought in the late 80's. The business end of the forks and spoons are on the small side.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just spoke with Villegas and Bosch customer service. Their flatware is all made in Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia.

Zenith, I have started looking on eBay and Etsy. I just hate to not be able to pick it up and hold it, see what it feels like in my hand.

• lucky998877
    6 years ago

My 18/10 stainless set is also made in Vietnam but it's really fantastic! I went to Macys to feel it and look at it in person, but they would not match an online sale. So I bought it somewhere else. It goes in the dishwasher everyday and still shines just like it did brand new 3-4 years ago.

• zmith
    6 years ago

Kendrah,

I hear ya on that. I found the pattern I wanted at Bed, Bath and Beyond (Oneida Julliard). The vintage set is surprisingly similar in look and feel. It's so elegant, I just love it.

Kendrah thanked zmith
  • KD
    6 years ago

They may not still, but Liberty did send us a sample of the knife on the style we were considering because we were looking specifically for something comfortable for me to hold. (I have arthritis in my hands and had found while looking that many patterns the knives were just not the right shape and weight.) It was very much a second (scratches on the handle) but perfectly adequate for my purposes, and the customer service woman I worked with was super helpful the entire time.

I’m waiting for them to add a silver pattern that I like to start collecting that for fancy stuff.

Eta: our Liberty (I think the pattern is Champlain) goes through the dishwasher just fine.

My mom previously had Oneida and we were looking at that, but the current stuff just does not feel the same at all as the older stuff from when it was made in the US. I didn’t care for it at all, which is a bummer as they have a pattern we liked better aesthetically.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

I've been using Oneida since 1973. I have two main patterns and a lot of odds and ends by the company. I like to mix and match flatware. Recently I purchases some extra dinner forks by Oneida at Ross For Less. They were impressive. Heavier and a bit longer than the average dinner fork. I think I paid around 9.00 for a set of 8. Oneida's weight and size of their pieces have always varied by pattern.

• KD
    6 years ago

I was comparing current Flight to the Flight my mom has from 20+ years ago at least. This was a couple of years ago we were shopping, though. Maybe they’ve changed?

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sabre - Found this flatware from Paris, still made in France. It says it can go through the dishwasher at 40 degree C. Need to check out my dishwasher setting, though I suspect we wash at a higher temp and I want these as my everyday flatware to be washed in every dish load.

I love the shape of the utensil part, the plastic handle though leaves me a bit unexcited. On the second set below, it is so much more modern than anything I am usually attracted to, but I think it would feel wonderful in my hands, which sometimes have a touch of arthritic irritation. It comes in a lighter wood color, which I find more attractive. Again, how would wood hold up in a dishwasher? Probably not practical...

Also found this company that makes flatware in Italy - Modigliani. It isn't my taste, but thought I would include it here incase other people who are searching this thread are interested. They had many colors and styles in addition to these:

5-Piece Place Setting of Colonna in Horn · More Info

5-Piece Place Setting of Condotti in Light Green · More Info

• Chessie
    6 years ago

What a cool thread. Every so often I think about getting new flatware, but then I think about it again...and talk myself out it LOL. I’ve had my set of Oneida for 34 years. It still looks good, and it seems heavier than most of the stuff I see in the stores today. That said, I imagine that if I found some that blew my socks off, I might go for it. I’m just absurdly loyal to my kitchen wares. Silly I guess. I agree about the material- I would not have anything but 18/10.

Never heard of Sherrill/Liberty - I do see one pattern I like. I’ll keep them in mind.

• Victoria Cordero
    6 years ago
    Zwilling J.A. Henckels German made 18/10 flatware has less traditional styles. They have excellent quality products. You can get excellent cutlery to go with your flatware.
  • Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

I have suggested to Liberty that they get some new patterns. Most look too old-fashioned to me. But the Mallory is so much nicer in person and I am very happy with my purchase. Classic but not stodgy. ALL the pieces are weighty. I actually weighed each piece to my 20 year old Oneida and the WMF. At first, I thought they be too substantial, but they are great to hold in the hand. I highly suggest getting a sample or two.

• KD
    6 years ago

Aurora - yeah, our pattern isn’t one anyone in the house particularly loves (though no one hates it) but it felt so nice in the hand, especially for me, that we went with it anyway and it’s grown on us.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I couldn't find any new stuff I liked. Much of it is rather bulky. I ended up with a midcentury 1847 Rogers set. It will outlast all of us.

It is beautifully weighted. It might be a tad dated, though, but some older patterns aren't. If you are flatware curious, browse eBay. Find something cool. Buy a fork. Then find a "new old stock" set.

• kmcg123
    6 years ago

Like sushipop1 I have the same Oneida Paul Revere. Have had it since 1988 and a couple of times I have ordered additional pieces directly from their website.

• rjknsf
    6 years ago

I have been looking for the right set of flatware for years. What we really want is sterling, but the prices are just so high. And whenever I find reasonably priced vintage stuff, it is a bad value for me because old school sterling sets come with all kinds of crazy pieces I do not need nor want (strange butter knives, 3 different sizes of teaspoon) and are often incomplete (6 dinner forks, 12 dinner knives). I found a set of polished brass flatware that I like but it is made in India and the price is high for what it is.

I can't seem to find a current set that I like.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Victoria - Their website says "All ZWILLING and J.A. Henckels International flatware is manufactured in China." I figured as much considering how low it is priced. We had a Henckel knife when I was growing up. It was a probably the fanciest thing in our kitchen and prized family possession. They do make great knives, which I assume unlike their flatware, are still made in Germany.

Back to ebay....

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Thanks on my end for the Liberty link. While I am not in love with any of the patterns, I am in like with a couple, considering they are not made in east Asia. And considering I no longer seem to have a complete set of my old flatware. (Which I was never entirely in love with anyway - again, i did like - but it was a thoughtful gift from my parents over 25 years ago.)

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Kendrah... I love your Italian choices. Yes, will depend if they can go in the D/W.

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

@artemis, I did not love the Liberty at first since the patterns are oh so limited, but that was based on looking at the pictures on line. But once they are in your hand, they just feel so nice.

@Kendrah, I am not trying to steer you away from European or American brands, but I would say that if you find a nice set that is manufactured in South Korea, you might be surprised at the quality. They have producing quality stainless for many, many years. Many of the mid-century patterns are gorgeous. If you have antique shops or resale stores in your area, you could at least hold the pieces in your hand. Lastly, if you get a vintage set off of Ebay or in a local shop and any pieces are missing, you could possibly find missing ones on Replacements.com (albeit expensive).

• sas95
    6 years ago

I bought a Liberty set several years ago. While I was not in love with any of the patterns, I liked some of them fine, and I was happy to buy something made in the U.S. The flatware is of good quality and it has held up well.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I just ordered samples for Classic Rim, Pearl and Pinehurst. (From Liberty.) "Liking" is fine. I simply want to have a matching set of 8 of anything I find at the least, acceptable. Having them made somewhere where the manufacturing process is held reasonably accountable is a definite plus.