SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Please Help - Decision on Pocket Door Pulls

numbersjunkie
6 years ago

We will have a pocket door separating the bedroom and master bath. I want to provide as much sound barrier as possible and ordered a 32" slab door with the thought that when closed, part of the door would remain in the pocket and part would slide into a recess on the strike side. Its a single panel door, so hopefully the recess on the strike side will help make the panel appear almost centered when closed. The other doors on that wall will be 30" standard doors. The pocket door has the soft open/close hardware.

I really don't care for the finger pulls on most pocket door hardware and have been considering using bar pulls on the pocket door. I'm pretty sure the hardware can be adjusted to keep the door from opening all the way into the pocket so the pull would not hit the pocket side jamb when opened. I understand that that will reduce my opening by about 3 inches to maybe 28", but I think it will be plenty of clearance. My powder room only has a 24" swinging door and its not a problem.

This is the pull I am considering if I go that route - it's 8-1/2" high and 1" wide:

Emtek Stainless Steel Baden 8" Back To Back Pull - Brushed Stainless Steel · More Info

The other option is to go with regular pocket door hardware and learn to live with the finger hole. In that case, I've selected this one which I liked because of the magnetic catch to hold the door tightly closed. Its 7-1/8" tall. And more than twice the cost of the back to back pulls.

Cavilock CL400A-ML-38 Magnetic Latching Passage Pocket Door Pull for 1-3/8 Inch, · More Info

I'm looking for input on which one to choose and why. Could a magnetic catch be added later if I used the back to back pulls if the door doesn't stay closed properly? The space will be contemporary but not too modern. Bath fixtures will be polished chrome. For the pulls I would go with brushed stainless; the pocket door hardware comes in satin nickel or satin chrome.

We never even had a door between the bedroom and bath before (but there was one between the shower/toilet room which is no longer a separate space),so I don't think we need a privacy lock. The toilet in the new space is set back in an open alcove towards the back of the room.

Comments (5)