SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuiwida

Advice? Maine Coast Storytale Home from 80's Rural Vermont Rectangle

nuiwida
6 years ago

Hi all, I'm happy to be joining the community of design lovers! I've been working on the interior of our home for a couple of years now. My father in law built it in the mid 80's and my husband has lived here most of his life. It's up to us to take care of it now and make it into our dream home...we have 50 acres of beautiful Vermont hillside and a five acre field where we have begun a permaculture food orchard. Our house is south facing with many windows over looking our growing orchard and the lovely hills. I've included a photo of it taken two years ago. We have since replaced the roof with a dark gray standing seam roof.

This year we'd like to tackle the 30 year old siding and replace it with white cedar shakes/shingles. The southern windows on the top floor/middle part of the house (five windows in a row) have rot on the inside, and we are hoping to replace some of them before the siding goes up. The long and wide one on the far left will likely stay, as it has no issues.

I'd love to hear if you have inspiration for turning this southern part of our house from plain rectangle into a lovely view! We are drawn to natural, coastal, and "story tale" looking homes. I've included a few inspiration photos. Landscaping advice is also welcome. We are at the beginning stages of planning, but are nearly set on the cedar shake plan as well as white trim around the windows, edge of roof, and corners of the house (I'm not sure the technical name for this?). The left third of the house is an unfinished and unheated part of the building which we plan to take down and create a deck/arbor for sunset views. The magnolia tree in front will likely be replaced by one further from the house and more towards the deck. Lilacs on the right have been trimmed but could be gotten rid of. What about shutters? An idea we love is to have a very large window (without panes) in the middle for clear access to our view. A curved or round window would be lovely.

Comments (16)