SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michprac

shiplap or tile?

michprac
6 years ago
We are currently in the midst of a kitchen renovation. When our new quartz countertops were installed, there was an error in measurement which left a gap between the existing tiled wall and new countertop, less than a half inch back as well as high. So as not to waste, we opted to have the company remedy the mistake without having to tear out all the quartz and cut a new counter. Thus far, they have been less than accommodating with a number of excuses as to why they can't do this or that. That being said, we are left to go over the existing ceramic tile. The window frames and under mount lighting must all be bumped out and removed in order to accommodate the new thickness of the wall which will hide the gap both vertically and horizontally. I am not sure what material to use, tile or shiplap. I like the look of both however am trying to figure out the best for our kitchen. Shiplap would be good for our carpenter since he is the one who will be coming to bump out the windows and frame work and could then do the shiplap. If we go with tile, it is installed without cost by the company who has failed us, however the window issues will still have to be done by our carpenter before they will install. Thoughts?

Comments (32)

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Judy, that is still an option, I just hate the thought of the waste from an Eco point of view. We may still have no other choice.
  • Related Discussions

Is there shiplap ceramic tile?

Q

Comments (1)
    How weird of you to ask! LOL..was JUST browsing for such a thing for around our woodstove hearth, and came across this site. Granted, this tile is barn board effect not shiplap, sorry to say. I have no affiliation (other than tile lust LOL) with the company, nor any idea how $$ this would be, but I'll pass the link on to you. Second row "thumbnail" is the one I was looking at. Here is a link that might be useful: Barnboard
    ...See More

backsplash tile qualities or types?

Q

Comments (3)
    Limitations.... you mean like using a wood bs behind a gas range? Sure. That's unlikely to meet code anywhere. You'd be surprised how often it comes up in the form of a question on beadboard or shiplap. Stone tile has the properties of the stone from which it is cut, so calacatta marble tile should be sealed so that it does not stain, but it will etch if it comes into contact with acids. Procelain tile is fine for a bs. Here's an unexpected twist on that idea...
    ...See More

I need help with color for this fireplace.

Q

Comments (1)
    Why is this post showing in my activity history as posted in Home Decorating, Home Decorating Conversations, and Fireplaces, but not actually showing in any of those forums?
    ...See More

60 year old cinderblock house with cinderblock interior walls.

Q

Comments (13)
    The electrical had to be done by punching holes in the cinderblock. Then patching with foam. Mostly the holes where the electrical runs are behind the cabinetry. The floor plan changes required new interior stud walls formed and were finished out with drywall. So we have some cabinets attached, lowers and uppers, to the cinderblock. There are some attached to the new interior walls from the floor plan changes. There is an open space of wall where the back door is in the middle. From left of door is cabinetry going to right of the door is cabinetry. On that wall I would like to continue the backsplash. It makes the kitchen look cohesive and solves the ugly wall problem in the kitchen area. The rest of the cinderblock walls that need to be covered are in the family room and two bedrooms. The bathroom was done 30 years ago and, thankfully, the tile in that bathroom still looks good. The tile was glued with thinset to the block and it has not budged. My decisions going forward are what to cover those ugly cinderblock walls. Shiplap? Durarock? Tile that looks like wood? Your suggestions are appreciated. Kathy
    ...See More
  • Anita Johnston
    6 years ago

Could you possibly use a trim to hide the gap? Possibly a quarter round or shoe molding? Might be the easiest and least expensive in the long run. I would forego the thought of shiplap. I renovated houses for years and always tried to stay away from trendy and now that I’m a realtor shiplap wouldn’t be my choice.

Final thought on the company you used- if they become even more difficult report them to BBB. I have had great luck with the Better Business Bureau stepping in and getting help.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No stone fabricator will ever guarantee a perfect fit with an existing tiled wall. It’s not a reasonable expectation that the tile wouldn’t be damaged. Trying to keep the tile from being damaged means a bigger gap at the rear. Stone is never as thick as laminate. There will always be a gap. That’s why the tile goes in after.

The tile should have been considered sacrificed and removed. Before the stone was templated. That should have been made very clear to you on the front end by your GC.

No windows or walls need to be moved. That is a completely silly hack suggestion to deal with a simple issue. The tile all needs to be redone is all. Because it shouldn’t have been there to begin with.

• Miranda33
    6 years ago

Shiplap has jumped the shark already. Don't do shiplap.

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We thought about moulding to hide the gap...my husband said, "like a bathroom vanity?!" He feels after spending $11,000 to have seamless kitchen, the moulding might feel subpar. I'm pretty sure they can fabricate moulding out of the same material the counter is. My parents have a 3-4inch piece at the back of their countertop and personally I think it looks cheap. The smaller the better I suppose. That for your thoughts.
  • michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thx Sophie. They were definitely not upfront. We didn't have laminate previously. It was marble. We only had it removed because it was golden Italian yellow which was not our taste. I agree the backsplash should have been removed. We may need to have another company come in for that. These people refuse to do it. I am hanging on to $5000.00 right now until we are ultimately satisfied.
  • michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, so no shiplap. Would not want to date the kitchen before we start, lol.
  • hnhouser
    6 years ago

Good choice, I agree that shiplap is not going to be around for that much longer.

• lisadlu16
    6 years ago

If you really want to keep the tile then you need to have the fabricator replace the top. I wouldn't worry about being green since you already have discarded the original countertops anyway. There is always construction debris and it's nice if you can minimize it but don't let being green dictate your life.

• User
    6 years ago

Replacing the countertop is not gonna happen without paying the fabricator for that to happen, and paying for that tile to get removed first. . Because it is not the fabricators issue that the tile was in the way. This is a GC issue, and the wrong order of operations. He should never ever have called for a template with tile on that wall. That is an amateur hour mistake and he will pay to be educated about that now.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you've got great suggestions

no shiplap-I wouldn't care whether dated or not, but tile plainly better supports all the other choices of your kitchen. your kitchen is one mood, shiplap is another. with decor one can mix moods so to say..with "permanent" elements like stones and tiles, one is less free to do so.

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I agree Sophie, however when you call who you think is the best in town, shouldn't we expect them to give us all of the information beforehand, especially since we are not experienced? We would never have agreed had he said, " you'll need to remove that backsplash yourself, get that cabinet taken off the wall, take down all under cabinet lighting, oh and by the way, this will be 1/4 inch thinner so it will leave a gap, hope your into that look." I guess they'll have to fight me for the outstanding $5000 because I'm going to spend it having my backsplash removed and redone.
  • michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh I forgot to mention, it is the fabricator's problem because there is no GC... that would be me...they made the measurement mistakes and have already offered to replace the countertop at no additional cost. The problem is, it doesn't solve the height issue, which is also their fault because they lied to us from the get go, said, "no, no, it will be the same height", when in fact it would not.
  • tatts
    6 years ago

A backsplash needs to be made of a waterproof, easily cleanable/scrubbable material. Shiplap is NONE of those. Why would anyone think this is even an option?(unless it's a show kitchen that never gets used)

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, so this brings me to my new question...what kind of tile? Lol. I like things plain wi h simple lines, not ultra modern or too country bumpkin. Was thinking large, matte subway, slightly off white, no bevel, small seams. Didn't want to do marble or anything that would add another pattern to the two countertop choices. Any more thoughts?
  • michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Might be a show kitchen in the end...I'm no chef.
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I can't believe shiplap is even mentioned. :) Good luck with your fabricator.

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are about halfway there, this is what it looked like before...ewe!
  • User
    6 years ago

Thems the breaks when you step outside of creating a Word document, or setting a bone, or flying a plane, or whatever it is you do professionally for a living. You didn’t have the education and experience to assume the job that you stepped into. You assumed that because it was construction work that it was “easy” for “anyone” to do. Nope. You’re getting some proper education now.

The GC is responsible for coordinating all of the aspects of the job, and verifying how it all interconnects. That was the role you assumed. Ignorance of what the job entailed is not an excuse to do the job poorly. You shouldn’t have put on the work boots if you couldn’t do the work.

And you own the issue because you are the GC. Even if you obviously don’t have a clue. So, better be ready to hire someone with a clue if you don’t have one. They can and will put a lien on your house and call it good. And you’ll pay one way or another.

• michprac
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, party is over...Debbie Downer...I am quite certain I am no longer in need of your poor grammar or "expert" opinion...that being said, basically, your advice is, when the professional lies or is "unprofessional", I should accept this because it is my fault for being "obviously clueless". -I should have been a clairvoyant instead of an English Professor. I thank everyone for your valued thoughts, I am just not interested in personal insults.
  • User
    6 years ago

Then you should have hired a GC or Designer to project manage this since you didn’t understand the order of operations, or how to plan this correctly. To fix this is going to require more demolition and more money spent. The GC’s money. Which is you.

To not pay a subcontractor when you the GC instructed them to proceed? That will result in a lien. In a heartbeat. Nitpicking colliquialisms as a response is a really desperate reach.

• User
    6 years ago

It's hard to know what you don't know. That's why you hire a Pro. Or you accept the consequences for not knowing and attempting the DIY.

You need to pay the counter fabricators. I'd remove the tile and run the counters up the wall. But that's only going to happen if you pay them.

• Jenn G
    6 years ago
    I am sorry that you are in this situation. First I would not worry about “waste” they will sell the slab as remnants and be 100% fine. The fact that they are saying they will remedy or correct does make me think they are aware of some error on their side.

If you agree to handle it yourself please have them sign a final payment agreement so a lien won’t be placed
    On your house down the road.

Could you remove the apron under the window sill and perhaps the tile trim if need be and run a piece of matching black stone right up to the underside of the window?
  • Margaret Catherine McQuarrie
    6 years ago
    Your kitchen is gorgeous.
    Please, no shiplap - it's so overdone and everywhere! I suggest redo on the backsplash, which might avoid moving window frames. Keep it simple.
    Good luck and enjoy that beautiful space.
  • C W
    6 years ago

May I ask what light fixtures these are? Also doing my kitchen and love them!

• Brenda Austin-Martinez
    last year

I came across this article because I myself are weighing out the pros and cons of shiplap vs tile. I do some design work and my take is this. Some say it’s not going to popular that much longer. I personally disagree just like they said tiny homes were a fad and would fizzle out a while ago and they are stronger than ever. I read that they replaced the countertops because they did not like the existing countertops. They can go with a different tiled backsplash but just like the countertops the next person may not like the style chosen as I don’t in my kitchen and want to replace it not to mention that the style that would be chosen may also go out of style. Because my house is over 100yrs old and the style of the home when it was renovated did not get a farmhouse sink. Because it’s important to me to have one it has caused a domino effect. My contractor was upfront with me and told me that the original opening and my cabinetry it would be very difficult to find a farm sink that would fit even cutting the part of my countertop to accommodate it. If I couldn’t, which I have not been able to, I would have to replace my marble countertops. That just hurt! The marble countertops was a big part of why I wanted this house. However updating my kitchen by putting in a farmhouse sink, painting all the cabinetry, wall, doors and all facings BM Natural Cream and my island and just the section above the stove BM Marlboro Blue I have found a quartz that mimics marble just not the color and pattern I currently have. He told me they would do the tear out of the countertops and there is no way to guarantee changing out the countertops that the backsplash doesn’t get damaged or if there will be a gap due to differences in thickness of the stone and to be prepared to change the backsplash. So I know upfront that more than likely it will have to be replaced but in my situation I don’t mind because as much as I like subway tile I do not like that baby subway tile and I do not like or recommend to anyone unless they are clean freaks or have nothing else to do but clean their house to put white grout! It’s just too hard to keep clean or at least in my experience. Again this is my opinion and others may not agree.

• M Miller
    last year

Paragraph breaks are needed.

• Mrs. S
    last year

It is very likely there is no reason at all to rip out your counters. @Joseph Corlett, LLC , expert on sink installation, can tell you how to do it, especially with a farmhouse sink that makes things easier. However, you DO need paragraph breaks if you expect people to read through.

Finally, you shouldn't tag onto a 4 year old post. You need to start your own post.

• M Miller
    last year

I suspect that run-on stream-of consciousness comment from @Brenda Austin-Martinez was a fly-by.

• Brenda Austin-Martinez
    last year

Thanks for the feedback and from now on I’ll make sure not to comment on an old post.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Addressing here only the request for paragraphs from M Miller and Mrs. S: when I post on Houzz I always use paragraph breaks, but my comments still show up as run-on, often with no spaces between sentences; perhaps it’s the fact that I use an iPad, I don’t know. I have the soul of a copy editor, and the fact that I often appear illiterate here is my least favorite thing about Houzz:)