SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Smart (?) cat

bpath
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

When you turn on the media power strip and pick up the remote control, the cat goes to sit by the DVD player and wait for the little tray to slide out. Then she bats at it. We need no other entertainment.

Comments (56)

• sableincal
    6 years ago

I love these stories! I think that perhaps one must have a cat or better yet, cats, to understand and appreciate how totally weird and hilarious they are.

When I was growing up we had a Siamese cat named Sultan. One day my mother called from the main bathroom for my father and me to assemble there. We walked in and my mom was pointing into the toilet. In it was one neat, very small brown object. "Who forgot to flush?" asked my mother. We looked at each other and my dad said that his were much larger. The three of us peered into bowl and then I said "It's got to be Sultan." And it was. Usually the toilet lid was closed, but often when it was left open, someone would discover one of Sultan's deposits, although we never caught him in the act. Sometimes if the lid had been closed we found a deposit sitting neatly on the bathtub drain. Somehow this clever Siamese kitty had concluded that his way was so much tidier! Of course, we always checked the bathroom when guests were expected.

I have a few friends who are getting older and are alone and lonely, and when I suggest that they get a cat or two, they remark that "it's too much trouble", and I feel sorry for them.

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

the fur-children keep us young!

• Related Discussions

Cats eating plants

Q

Comments (41)
    Wow...a lot of great ideas on here. I have a very stubborn Maine Coon and he thinks it's the best gift ever to not only have a plant to chew on, but for me to put pebbles (I also tried fist sized rocks) or sticks in the dirt because he LOVES to use that extra thumb to plop those rocks & sticks onto our hardwood floor at 2am. Toby also loves water so the squirting doesn't work and loves to play with foil and celophane (I tried covering the dirt). And Toby loves spicy food so the cayenne pepper didn't work...he just licked the dirt. But I've also come to the same conclusion as most of you. Compromise. We've now got cat grass (a nice fescue) in a shallow sturdy 18" pot drainage tray for our cats to play in and the rest of my houseplants are either hung from the ceiling out of harm's way or out on our balcony. Call it a truce with the cats. They can enjoy their chlorophyl and instinct to chew/dig and we can enjoy some houseplants.
    ...See More

Last Night's adventure

Q

Comments (5)
    mwheel, Joann and I have days when we cook together or for both of us, not every night, that's too scheduled, but I usually make dinner on the days she works, she gets home fairly late then, and we eat at my house and she cooks Monday and Thursday and I eat at her house. With thew time change it will be dark when dinner-time comes around, no matter what and we are used to these heavy rains (thunder and lightning not so much) When I have to go out to her place when it is dark, I plan to take my fanny-pack loaded with my phone and I have a good flashlight (have extra batteries), rain-gear when needed, it is all part of living here
    ...See More

Not liking cats?

Q

Comments (30)
    I have never really understood the whole cats-are-dirty and they walk all over everything argument. I don't know about you, but we eat off of plates on the dining room table. We do not eat directly off the table. So even if by some chance some microscopic fecal matter got onto the table, it wouldn't contaminate the food. Not to mention I regularly wipe the table down. My cats can go everywhere they want except the counters - there are just too many things to get into up there. I also don't understand the whole cat hair thing...I mean, they're animals, they shed hair. It can be annoying, but by no means do I think it's gross. We as humans shed pounds of dead skin cells every year that collects in sofas and beds. But we don't see them so it's different from cat or dog hair. Hair doesn't disgust me but it is a nuisance. And well taken-care of, non-abused cats that have been spayed or neutered *generally* don't spray in the house. Usually it is due to a behavioral or physical issue, both of which can almost always be solved. Sometimes it happens in old age but I would see it as no reason to get rid of an animal...that's like getting rid of my partner if he starts puking all over the house from cancer or something. As far as cat behavior, they are all so different, it's just hilarious! Our one cat Baloney, he's kinda a "special kitty", if you know what I mean. But he's loving and cuddly and that's all I can ask. Our other kitty (his name is Fatty) is a big Maine Coon, and he's goofy and smart as can be. He has chosen me as his best friend and he follows me around, curls up next to me (rarely on me though as Maine Coons are known to sit near but not on people), and he's just the goofiest thing ever. He doesn't really think too much of my partner. He tolerates him, and asks to be petted every once in a while, but the cat sees him as more of a fixture than anything. My partner is not a "cat person" and he doesn't have a particular affinity for cats so he doesn't really know how to react to Fatty's antics and personality. A few times my partner has went to pet Fatty and he 'scratched' my partner...knowing my kitty, I know that he was just trying to play and his claws weren't out or anything. He did it to me today...I walked by his little tree and he stuck his giant paws out to grab my shirt and play. My partner just doesn't get it. He's much more of a dog person. I love our dogs but I have a special bond with my kitties, especially Fatty. He's my little soul mate. I'm so glad I have them. My partner tolerates them. HE likes Baloney but Fatty he's indifferent towards.
    ...See More

Video of Bud Begging for Catnip

Q

Comments (20)
    jasdip, who says cats can't be "trained". Your Bud has the same markings/coloring as my Allie (she's a main coon) They would make a nice looking couple. Allie is smart too. Used to fetch crumbled up pieces of paper, but ever since we got the 2nd cat, who interferes too much with the game she won't do it. She also can open doors that have the lever style knob, not the regular round ones. Likes to push stuff off the kitchen counter to the floor, enjoys watching things fall/bounce. I have both kittys trained to scratch the scratching post for treats or pinches of catnip. When they see that we can see them doing this they both run to the post and start scratching. I tried to get Allie to do roll over but didn't work.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

I miss those antics. I had a cat who would come investigate when I was at the sewing machine. She would sit opposite me close to the machine and poke her little face between the arm and the bottom plate to watch what I was doing. If I stopped the machine she would start batting at the thread or the fabric.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sable, I had a cat who leave a deposit in the bathtub when he was sick. Otherwise he always used the litter box. But using the tub was brilliant: it was noticeable, but easily cleaned up. Then I'd call the vet.

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

Our cat Pop will come running to the sound of the tape measure. It is very difficult when trying to measure the floor or something that is near the ground as he'll grab the end and pull it. We call him Pop Villa. He needs a tool belt.

• msmeow
    6 years ago

BP, I don't know what she's thinking, but she is on the frame a LOT! She also likes to sleep in sinks.

Czarina and Delilah, we also had a cat who pounce on paper coming out of the printer, and another one would help me sew like that!

When I was a kid one of our cats loved turkey. Since the Thanksgiving leftovers got wrapped in foil, every time she heard foil she hoped she'd get turkey and would be in the kitchen like a shot.

Donna

• DYH
    6 years ago

I'm enjoying these stories!

I don't have a cat right now, I have a poodle. But, I've had a lot of cats in the past and their antics were so entertaining.

As a teenager, I had a cat who always nosed the shower curtain aside and sat at the back edge of the tub when I showered. His mother would often be found curled up inside my mother's white ceramic mixing bowl inside a lower kitchen cabinet. They seemed to be drawn to cool, white!

Another cat was so appreciative of special food treats. I had a cat door on the screened porch for this indoor/outdoor cat (lived on 16 acres in the woods, safe from traffic). Without fail, if I gave Theo a treat, the next day I'd find a dead mouse inside the screened porch, on the doormat waiting for me! This cat was also a buddy of our Australian Shepherd. The two walked together up the long drive up to our barn. They also chased each other around the yard, and it was usually Theo chasing the dog.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

This dog mom is enjoying these cat stories very much. Keep 'em coming!

• User
    6 years ago

Our ginger cat, Willie, was spoiled by my DH...I heard water running and it was the bathtub faucet. DH said Willie liked drinking out of the faucet. Nice but didn't want to pay that water bill so DH got Willie a drinking fountain. Willie thinks it's okay but when he hears me running water in the sink to re-fill the drinking fountain he runs in the kitchen so he can drink the water as I'm pouring it into the fountain bowl. When he sits on your lap you must be stroking him, if you stop he reaches up and gently pats your face until you start stroking him again, his sister, Wynona, does that too. We have 4 inside cats and they all have different personalities .

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

When we moved, with our cat, the new-to-us house bathrooms had been remodeled along the same time we had done ours. Same or similar colors, vanities, sinks, faucets. Seriously, one bathroom has the same tile, another has the same tile but the colors are flipped (beige-on-white versus white-on-beige). So, almost the same. But the cat started something new in the new house: drinking from the kids' bathroom faucet. She'd yowl to have it turned on. But of course she wouldn't turn it off. We don't know where this new behavior came from!

• hhireno
    6 years ago

We had a cat that would appear out of nowhere and sit in my father’s favorite chair a few minutes before my dad would get home. My dad’s schedule varied so he didn’t get home at the same time each night but somehow the cat knew he was coming and would sit and wait for him. It was a great warning system to the rest of us “Clean up! Daddy will be home soon.”

• User
    6 years ago

It's amazing how they can associate sounds. After we gave our cat Toby a little bit of Reddi Wip, he'd appear in the kitchen every time we shook the can. About a year later we bought another can and he came running into the kitchen when he heard us shaking it. How could he remember a can of Reddi Wip a year later but he couldn't remember that I just told him to get off the table?

He'd be fast asleep on our lap while we watched TV at night, and as soon as we clicked the remote to turn it off, he'd jump down. He knew that meant bedtime.

• msmeow
    6 years ago

My childhood cat, Bootsie, would go out hunting at night and proudly bring us...sticks. (Way better than dead mice!) One night he brought home a toothbrush. My mom would collect the sticks from the door mat and put them in a pile on the side of the house. One time we caught Boots retrieving a stick from the pile and putting it on the doormat!

Our current cat George likes water in the bathroom sink. (Fortunately he doesn't want it running from the faucet!)

Oh, and if you have a cat, you should never have a touch screen computer. Ask me how I know...

This is my sister's cat, Tally, sitting in the pasta bowl.

Donna

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Yeah, as soon as we rustle the deli turkey bag, they come running.

Our previous little kitty used to understand that there was no more food when we put up our hands, and he would go away. He was super smart and very communicative.

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

Having had many cats over the years I have many stories. Two of our goofy cat stories involved human food.

Poof, a gorgeous puffy tuxedo cat loved pancakes. When I'd make them for breakfast he'd come running and the kids would indulge him with his own plate, complete with maple syrup.

He also would go crazy over angel food cake. I bought a package and it was in the grocery bag. I was unloading the groceries into the house and walked in to see the bag with the cake ripped open and Poof on the ground tearing open the package so he could get at that cake.

Another cat, Bob, loved corn nuts. One of the kids had left an open bag on the desk next to the answering machine. While playing the messages that evening we were greeting to the sound of Bob crunching away at corn nuts. He'd somehow pushed the record button on the machine while munching on his snack.

Currently, Butrous-a loud mouthed Himilayan-will scream loudly until the food in his dish is freshly replenished. He goes nuts when I give the dogs their medicine in a pill pocket and he won't shut up because he thinks they're getting a treat. So instead of giving him treats too, I pick up a few kibbles of his food, place them in my hand and he goes nuts-acts like he's getting the sweetest morsels.

Lately he refuses to eat unless I put his food in my hand. I think I'm being played.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What is it with cats and turkey? They love it! My cat is very sad that we are out of the packing-school-lunches stage; she'd jump up on the chair closest to the peninsula and wait for turkey morsels while I made sandwiches. She toes come running when she hears the meat drawer open at lunchtime, though.

Another cat once watched carefully as I sliced and set aside leftovers from a big turkey. When I turned to cut another slice he was in the air, snatched a slice off the plate, and was out of the room before I knew what had happened! Another time--not a turkey story, though-- I was eating at the coffee table, and while my attention was turned the same cat slipped the meat out from between the buns of my hamburger.

Neetsiepie, we had a cat who loved marshmallows, and also any ground coffee that might get spilled from the canister in hype morning. Weird. But angel food cake? Corn nuts? That's definitely "special" lol

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I once trained (who am I kidding, who trained whom?) two cats to enjoy going in the car. I would often take them with me to the Wendy's drive-through and get two Frosties, one for me and one for them. I know, it's not good for them, it was just an occasional treat. And I'd give them some meat from my burger, too (ah, see the story about the hamburglar above)

So they thought going in the car was a fine thing, so going to the vet was okay, too.

Coming home from the vet, though, was another story: they'd usually leave a "present" in the car or carrier to show me how they really felt.

• DYH
    6 years ago

I have two cat "survival" stories -- a father and daughter, in fact.

Again, when I was a teenager, we had a male cat named Butch. When my family moved from our house in the city to the farm in the country, he went with us, but soon disappeared. My mother was convinced he was alive. Sure enough, weeks later, he showed up at the old house, skinny and with worn-out paws. It was five miles.

I took one of the kittens of his with me when I went to college (lived in an apartment at first). Rerun was with me for years, including after we moved to a rental farm in the country (horse owners, too). One day, she disappeared. We looked everywhere for a week, but we were booked for flying to Albuquerque for a horse show. While we were gone, she showed up back at our farm -- just like her dad, she was skinny with worn-out paws, but wouldn't come out for the feeder until we got home.

We think she had been sleeping in the camper in the back of the pickup truck when my husband had taken the garbage to the county waste and recycling center, and had gotten out there. That's all we could think of to explain her absence.

It's amazing that they both had the will and instincts to find their way home.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dyh, so interesting that they could find their way to the old home, yet not stay with the family. Those stories always amaze me.

Our last cat was a discovery. When my parents would be at their winter home, we'd stop by and check the house. One day a cat was curled up in the ground cover by the front door and meowed at us. I recognized it as the cat from next store so I carried her over and gave her to the husband. He looked kind of awkward and said "I'm not a cat person" and took it inside the house. Moments later he came trotting across the yard call that it ISN'T their cat, who was in the house already. (The two cats didn't look that much alike, just that both were white with black. Clearly he wasn't a cat person lol. His excuse: the cat belongs to their daughter.)

They live in a wooded area, houses far apart. We called the few families on the lane and across the field, but no one knew of a missing cat.

There are always Lost Cat signs on the telephone poles around town, so we drove around and called all the numbers. Not a match. We had an ad in the paper. Not a match. With permission we posted signs at the elementary school (it was conferences week, so we knew there'd be a lot of parents there). At every step we'd get a phone call, a description, and bring the cat over, only to see the people's faces fall -- and my kids' faces relax. They were getting quite attached.

That cat clearly belonged to a family who took good care of it. She was friendly, patient with the kids (including preschooler), well-fed, healthy, neutered, and front-declawed. The perfect pet. I'm sure they wondered what happened to her. And she was our perfect pet for years. When we moved and she started that weird drinking from the faucet thing, we thought it might be a throwback to her past life? Who knows?

• User
    6 years ago

msmeow - Tally is very perplexed: “Where’s the pasta?”

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

Let's hear more - these are all great!

• lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

We had a female cat from good-knows-where take up residence at our house. Never having had a cat, I didn't want one. She loved to stow away in vehicles so we warned all visitors to leave windows shut and inspect before driving away from our house. One morning, my husband got almost to work and a little head popped up in rear view mirror! It was a long distance for him to bring her home. Oh, she loved to ride in a car so I would occasionally take her on short trips when weather was suitable. Miss Kitty would stand on back seat gazing out the window and closely follow all activity she saw. There are many tales of her exploits and I miss her very much!

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

My old lady calico is pretty sedentary now. But when she was younger the favorite game was taking a toy or balled up paper wad into the (dry) bathtub and use it like a hockey arena, batting it around, hurling her body, sliding against the sides. She'd usually start the play in the middle of the night, of course.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I have an orange outdoor cat, Mr. Toes, that has gone walkabout three times. The first time he disappeared, we got a call that he was at a storage facility 3 miles away and had been wandering into a neighborhood quick mart to beg for food.

The second time was really crazy. I fed him in the morning at the house. In late afternoon I got a very confusing phone call.

"I found your cat a university village."

"What are you talking about? My cat's not missing, I fed his this morning"

"I have him here at University Village."

"That doesn't make any sense. Where is University Village? What city?"

"Albany."

Albany is nine miles north of my house.

Anyway, I retrieve the cat.

THEN I get a call from my then-husband. "Mr. Toes is in Albany."

"No he isn't."

"Yes he is. Our neighbor told me he saw him jump out of his truck after he drove to Albany."

"No, he isn't. He was in Albany, but someone found him and called. He's home already."

Detecting a theme here? Toes likes to take naps in the back of people's trucks, so when he gets lost he really gets lost.

The third time he went missing was around July 4, and it's possible that he got spooked by fireworks and actually got lost rather than being transported, for a change. He was gone for a couple month.

I had given up on getting him back and adopted 2 kittens, when I got a call from someone who saw our missing cat notice at the animal shelter. She had been feeding him for a while (he's very socially manipulative, so I don't actually worry about him finding someone to feed him when he's missing--that's how we got him, and he has at least one other neighbor feeding him on a regular basis). So I went down (about a mile away this time) to see if it was him, and it was. He wasn't terribly happy to come home and find two interlopers in his space. He used to come inside on occasion, but doesn't any more.

If anyone is wondering why we didn't make him an indoor cat, the answer is that he HAAAAAAAAAAAAATES being forced to stay inside. He is miserable and makes everybody else miserable too with his stalking and yowling.

The two kittens are now 7 years old and endlessly amusing. Texas is obsessed with styrofoam. I think he likes the way it feels on his teeth when he bites it. I have a foam roller in my closet and he knows it. The door doesn't close properly (too many coats of paint) so I just wedge it shut. I've seen him working on the door to get it open, and every once in a while he succeeds.

Arizona is developmentally disabled. The runt of the litter, she couldn't jump well at all when she was young (better now, but still is very cautious and takes a lot of time gearing up for a jump). She's the one who meows at inanimate objects and can't read social cues (from people or other cats). But she can unerringly find the warmest spot in the house. She also picks up her cat dancer toy (fleece strip on a stick) and carries it around the house.

We got a third cat a couple years later who has been very slow to warm up. But once she decides something is safe (usually after a year or more of working up to it), she's good. She has now decided that sleeping on my lap is safe and won't leave me alone. I posted about her last summer when she finally decided that it was okay to chase the laser pointer (after a year of watching it not hurt Texas when he chased it).

• Bunny
    6 years ago

We had a brown tabby named Jack. He was the best cat. He was a stray kitten we adopted when we lived in Oregon and then later moved back to California. Despite moving to several different houses, Jack always rolled with the punches.

We had been living in the country for about 5 years and then moved to town, 4 miles away. Right after the move, Jack went missing for a few days. I was heartsick because he should have turned up and he was my best boy. One day, on a hunch, my husband drove back to the old house, called Jack's name, and the old boy came running up to him. It's not like Jack was a dog we walked on a leash between the two places. He'd only been in a carrier in a car when we took him to the vet. Did he hail a cab? Or chart his path by the constellations? We never found out, and he never left our sides again.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

We had a cat that use to play hockey. She would sit at the end of the U in the kitchen and wait. We would slide pennies along the floor and she would try to stop them with her paws. She was a really good goalie - the Canucks good do with her right about now.

One of our current cats has really good ears. They sleep down the hall in the family room but if I have to get up during the night I have to tip toe to the ensuite because the one who is in charge of getting the food will hear and coming running down the hall. He thinks I'm getting up to feed them.

Apparently he's in charge of meowing for breakfast and dinner while the other one is in charge of meowing to have the balcony door opened.

@linelle - We've had two sets of neighbours who have moved, not very far, and had their cats come back to their old homes. We would phone them and they would come and get their cats.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The neighbors' cat used to come over and sit on our front porch, gazing into the sidelights at our cats, who freaked out on there inside. The family eventually moved, and we considered holding the cat until after they'd gone. We didn't, but we did hope that she'd find her way back to our porch. She was a good cat.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Then there was my cat of meat-stealing fame, who would go to visit the neighbors at their first-floor condo. Apparently he'd hang out on their back patio staring in the French doors, until they let him in. He'd inspect the perimeter of the condo, then sit down in the middle of the living room until they fed him. Meanwhile, it's started sleeting outside and I'm calling for him. Hours later he arrives at my door, mysteriously dry and warm. I was relieved when my neighbor told me what was going on, that two-timer.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

This is why cat videos are so popular! They are so silly and clever and enigmatic @ the same time, aren't they?

These stories make me think of the time Eureka 'played' my ukulele. I used to sit on the bed and practice, and once, when I left it on the bed and went out of the room for a few minutes, I suddenly heard "Boing, bong, boing, boing" and found her w/ her paw on the ukulele, plucking at the strings w/ her teeth.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol, that's amazing!

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    6 years ago

We have been adopted by a stray cat this year- my first cat ever. Kitty clearly didn’t come from another family, she had a litter in our shed (which is how we got adopted), but she adores my children. She curls up with the toddler and pets his head. She’s also become a member of our ‘pack’, she joins in when we take the dogs out and follows along on walks and she’s learned to climb the front door until her little face shows in the window to let us know she wants to come back in, just like both dogs put their paws on the window sill to be let back in. I’ve never wanted a cat before but this girl has changed my mind.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Aviastar, some cats are, for lack of a better term, dogs in cat fur. Sounds like you have one! I am a cat person, but even I recognize that some of my cats were actually dogs lol! (Equal time: some dogs are actually cats. Anybody ever have a long-haired miniature dachshund? Just a cat with a German accent.)

• hhireno
    6 years ago

We kept a box of tissues on the radiator in the living room. Our new kitty fit perfectly inside the tissue box, she was toasty warm and in cushioned comfort. As she grew, she kept trying to fit inside the box. It got to the point, only her front paws were in the box. We replaced the tissue box with the cardboard tray from a case of beer. Fortunately, she didn’t outgrow that.

Another cat liked to sit on the back of the sofa, right behind my head, and we watched tv together. If I moved my head too much she would reach around and gently slap my face with her paw, clearly indicating “sit still!”

That cat would hear me wake up and stick her paw under my bedroom door, grab the door, and rattle it. “I hear you’re awake! Come out of there! Feed me!” That door opened out into the hall and every morning I’d have to say you need to move so I can open the door to feed you. She sat there and I had to slowly push the door against her weight and slide her along the wooden floor until I could leave the room. Cats do like routines, even silly ones.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

Anybody else know about this?

Why do cats like boxes?

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

I have another cat story. This one is not so cute. We adopted a little tan/orange cat the weekend of Superstorm Sandy. We named him Sandy. Sandy was very curious and loved water. That fall we DYI'd an update to our kitchen.. removing the wall between the kitchen and DR and adding an island.

In February, we went to VT on a ski weekend. Left Sandy and our other older cat for 3 days with lots of food and water. Sandy jumped into the kitchen sink, pushed down on the drain stopper and when he jumped out, he hit the faucet handle which was in the hot water position. We know this because everything was knocked over near the sink.

The hot water ran in the sink for 2 days, spilling over. When we got home and opened the garage door, water ran out. The smoke alarms were going off. Water was pouring from the ceiling in the garage and in a river down the steps. All the windows were fogged and it was like a tropical rain forest in the house.

And Sandy was sitting on top of one of the end tables in the LR meowing at us. Our other cat was on the top floor where it was dry(but very humid!).

Our entire main floor had to be gutted. Cost about 85K which was totally covered by our homeowners insurance.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, my, czarinalex, that should be in a Farmer's Insurance commercial (actually, they do have one, but the dog is the culprit. Maybe your Sandy was the inspiration!)

Once when my brother was cat sitting, he made fish for dinner and put the remains down the disposal, but didn't run it. The cats tore apart the rubber gasket to get at the fish. I'm glad neither bumped into the disposal switch on the wall!

• pamghatten
    6 years ago

My 13.5 year old Bailey, is my troublemaker ... Any one that comes to my house learns that ALL toilet paper is stored in drawers in the bathrooms. If the toilet paper is left out, he shreds it and then dumps it in the toilet bowl.

Same goes with Kleenex, all have to be hidden away.

He's also part dog, he sleeps with my 2 dogs and has decided that now that he's an elder, he wants to go outside with them! We lived on a farm for his first 11.5 years, and he never wanted to go outside. Now that we've moved to a suburb, he thinks he should go out into the fenced yard with his buddies the dogs. (It's not fenced well enough to keep a cat in.) In the morning, when I let the dogs out, he runs madly out the kitchen door, but luckily gets stuck in the back hall ... and doesn't get outside.

He's really quite a character!

• blfenton
    6 years ago

Oh Bailey is a real beauty.

• Honu3421
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh, these stories are so funny! I love them all. As to moving with a cat or bringing a new cat home - we always carry our cats counter clockwise around the house seven times. Don't ask me why, but it seems to do the trick. Our last move was six blocks from our previous house and our cat never even tried to go back. Although she did stay in her crate with door open for a good part of the first few weeks.

As to where to sleep on hot nights? Dog in the bathtub; cat in the sink. Where else? So wishing I had pictures.

• msmeow
    6 years ago

Sami on the quilt frame

Sami in the too-small box

Sami in the bathroom sink

Sami in the kitchen sink

• blfenton
    6 years ago

msmeow - is Sami actually sleeping in the kitchen sink?

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"A sink clean enought to sleep in!" instead of "you could eat off the kitchen floor!"

I like how Sami--or someone--pulled a comfy towel into the bathroom sink :)

• msmeow
    6 years ago

Yes, she’s sleeping in the kitchen sink! And she pulled the towel into the other one.

Lest you think we only have one weird cat, here is George on the quilt frame, and in a desk drawer!

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

@msmeow ...that looks like james bond training! Hahaha!!!

• DYH
    6 years ago

czarinalex -- WOW! That's an expensive cat. What a nightmare to come home to!

• suero
    6 years ago

Not my cat; my friend's cat. When friend and I are on the phone, cat will come running from wherever she was into the room with my friend and say, loud enough for me to hear, "Sue" although she pronounces it more like Sieu.

• DYH
    6 years ago

Brie asks, "Are we getting a kitty?" (Clipped yesterday and we just came home from errands, so she wants me to get off the computer.)

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is Brie a standard? She has delicious eyes! And yes, she wants a kitty.

• DYH
    6 years ago

Brie is a miniature. 16 lbs. When I travel, she manages to talk her sitter and her husband into letting her sleep in their bed -- with their cat, too!

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

We had a cat who was very odd. She’d jump on top of doors and lay across the top of the door. She jumped in the tub as soon as we turned off the shower. She loved water.

One weekend, DH and I went somewhere overnight. When we came home, we could hear voices in our apartment. When we opened the door, we found the cat sitting on the sofa next to the remote, and the TV on.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH