SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catfishhoward

Air Condition with earth tube in Florida

catfishhoward
6 years ago

I'm starting my planning on a future homestead in N. Florida somewhere between Tallahassee and Crestview +/-. I plan on having a 900 sq ft conex metal storage container home.

I've seen where some people do earth tubes on greenhouses but didn't know if the system could work on a 900 sq ft conex home in N. Florida or if it would be cheaper to have a ductless ac unit since I don't plan on having duct work in the conex metal home. I will have power to the home (no solar). The initial money up front to build which ever system to cool the house doesn't matter as much but I need to keep my monthly budget as low as I can for the future.

I've seen where they use fresh air for most systems but could a closed system work where you circulate the same air through the system and treat the air someway for humidity and freshness. I don't know anything about how the soil temps may change throughout the year I think 10' down it would be an average of 66 degrees? With the highs in the 90's in the summer and high humidity would earth tubes work at all in Florida???

Comments (9)