SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eganas

Backyard remodel dilemma | flow of steps

Elaine
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi All. I am in the midst of a complete overhaul of my yard. I need to decide in a couple of hours the shape of the steps going from the upper yard (kitchen slider leads to outside) to the lower patio deck which is the main part of the yard.

We moved the retaining wall closer to the house by 4 feet which changes where the steps start and stop compared to the way they were prior. The attached photographs show the way the path from the kitchen door curves towards the area of the steps. The new steps will extend into the patio space about 3 feet beyond the new retaining wall. Our contractor, who has done a lot of these projects, is telling me that the steps should curve following the curve of the path on the upper yard. I am no backyard designer but I think it would look more symmetrical if the steps and the wall attached to the sides of the steps both slightly curved outward in opposite directions.

Please see the attached images for my attempt to show what I'm talking about. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Comments (22)