SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_keifer22

Bathroom Remodel No Threshold Shower Handicap Accessible Ramp Dilemma

Cynthia Keifer
4 years ago

We are in a condo on a concrete slab. I have a current floor plan attached, as well as the future floor plan. Plumbing can't be changed, so the toilet must stay where it is. We are replacing the tub with a curbless or roll-in shower, plugging up the area with the shower is currently, opening up the walls on each side of the toilet, adding a roll-under vanity, and widening the entry door to 36" with a barn door. We will be getting reimbursed for the "accessibility" items "IF" we can follow the requirements.

Our planned future shower size is: 7'4" x 4'.

The "one" requirement that I am having trouble with is the following: If there is a lip over 1/2", we must have a ramp. For example: For every 1" of rise, there needs to be 1' of run/ramp. Currently, our contractor wants to raise the entire bathroom floor 1'1/2" (1.6ft). Therefore, a ramp will be needed in the doorway. The doorway itself is 6". On the other side of the doorway, is a narrow hallway (45") leading into our bedroom, as well as a closet door opening within that hallway (just after the bathroom entry. For the shower itself, we "must" have "a maximum floor slope of 1/4" to 12" (i.e. 1" slope front to rear in a 48" deep roll-in shower).

My question --------Where is the best placement of this ramp; or is there a way to avoid a ramp and do a floor slope only (gradual slope up to the shower, then slope down once in the shower)? The shower drain (currently bathtub drain) is on the far left side (close to the vanity). I also know about the rubber threshold that could help (can easily roll over it in a wheelchair).

I have been reading past posts on Houzz regarding the same issue (or at least very similar). Some of the notes I took, but don't really understand include:

"float out the entire floor so it all drains to the shower drain - put a straight edge from the doorway/side walls to the existing shower drain, deduct the thickness of tile and bedding, use a concrete topping product to float out the entire floor so it all drains to the shower drain"

"Keep a threshold at shower, but have a gradual rise" on each side to account for the (1' ramp per 1" of rise)?

"sloping a channel drain inside the shower pan on the farthest wall will help make the threshold into a speed bump shape".

"raise the rest of the floor and slope it to the drain at between 1/4" - 1/2" per foot, which effectively transfers the curb from the shower to the door entry.

"trench drain on far side of shower from the entry, then work the wet concrete to be your preslope"

"trough drain at edge of shower to have twice the horizontal distance to make the required drop in depth toward the drain".

Can anyone help?

Comments (46)