SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwombat

Do some succulents just lean regardless of how much light they get?

gardenwombat (6b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I keep my plants under CFL grow lights (3 bulbs each at 1600 lumens, 6500K color, 23W which is 100W incandescent equivalent) and they've been there for about 7 months. I also have reflective film on 5 sides (bottom, left, right, front, and back) of my setup to make sure as much light stays on the plants as possible When I put them in, they were all badly etiolated but they seem a lot better now. But I've noticed that even with the increased light, a few of my plants lean. Is that normal or are my plants in need of more light?

Here's a picture of my setup:

And here are a few of the plants that lean a bit:

I know the last one is pretty wrinkly, I took this before watering. It seems to need water more frequently lately than it has in the past, maybe because of all the new leaves that are coming in?

Anyway, I've tried rotating the plants but it doesn't seem to matter, they still lean. They don't change direction in their lean so is this just how they want to grow? The light hits the plants from all sides so it seems like they should be getting plenty of light but I wanted to double check with some more knowledgeable folks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions