SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

Are cocktails a generational thing?

sushipup1
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

From time to time, people post about party menus and often mention serving some special recipe cocktail. Not a choice of drinks but one drink. My son and his wife will do this. They are in their late 40's. We are 70, and for our age group, it's always been wine, beer, and there's the bar if you want whiskey. Sometimes we will have seasonally appropriate mixers, like tonic for G&T or Bloody Mary mix.

Now, I admit to enjoying a Manhattan or a Martini on occasion, and the G&T or Bloody Mary or Margarita, or even sipping scotch or bourbon, but my son or his wife come up with gawdawful things like what they served at Thanksgiving, involving ginger beer and apple cider and rum and some other things. Gag, it was awful. Another party we went to included a rum punch, but at least they called it punch and served out of a real punch bowl. It was pretty gruesome, too. Kinda reminded me of the garbage can punch served at parties out in the desert when I was in college..... lots of Hawaiian punch, other juices, and everyone brought a bottle of liquor to throw in.

I see bar reviews in the paper alongside the restaurant reviews, all with fancy cocktails. Those just have no appeal for me, I'd hate to pay $10 or more for some concoction that I don't know I'll like.

Someone said it's my generation vs theirs. What do you think?

Comments (39)