SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_widder

Dying Dracaena Marginata, please help!

David Widder
6 years ago

I bought a Dracaena Marginata about 1.5 weeks ago from Ikea. In Ikea, all the leaves were sticking up, and the plant looked healthy.

I brought it home on the bus, and to get to the bus I had to walk outside where it was very cold, about 5F/ -15C. When I was about to get off the bus, I realized that 4-5 of the LOWER leaves had bent, kind of creased, and were now looking wilted.

I then walked home from the bus stop, in the same very cold weather, to my apartment, about a 20 minute walk, holding the plant.

When I got home, I watered it. Enough so that some drips came out of the holes on the bottom of the pot, but not tooo much.

I then noticed that even more leaves, again the bottom ones, were bending over and becoming creased. It is about 64F/18C in my apartment. It sits on the windowsill, where it gets light and occasional direct sunlight.

Now today, I looked at it again. Nearly all of the leaves are folded over and bent, and of the lower ones fell off. It has also lost a lot of its color, the leaves feel soft and less bristly then they did in the store, and even the top leaves, which are still standing, look sick.

What am I doing wrong? Did the cold walk home kill it? Did I water it too much? Is it too cold in my apartment for it? Is there anyway to save it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)