SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natanddino

Reasonable heating plan for bay area cottage in CA?

natanddino
6 years ago

We have a small house in the bay area in California. Its been heated with an old gas floor heater in the living room at the front of the house and a gas wall heater in the sun room at the back of the house, no doubt from the 40's. We use a electric oil space heater upstairs and my son has an electric baseboard heater. The gas heater in the back has broken and rather than repair it I want to replace it with something more efficient and with an eye to something less eclectic and expensive to operate. (Electricity is very dear here).

It would be nice to put in a forced air furnace, but the quote was $12,000. Reasonable I am sure, but too much for right now. Would putting individual newer and more efficient gas heaters in each room be reasonable? We could do a few at a time. In the living room is there a gas heater that we could put in the fireplace that would be more effective and also not be connected to the dank air in the crawl space? There is actually a gas line to the fireplace... It is a 1400 sq foot house with 6 rooms. Not all the rooms are used as much as the others.... Also you can stand up in most of the crawl space but the downstairs room is on a slab and there is one room upstairs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)