SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

So thankful...Emery (sorry...long)

marilyn_c
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I came within an inch of having Emery put down. Pretty sure his swelling was from a fracture. Mud so bad couldn't do anything with him but put him in a stall and wrap with a poultice to help brace his leg. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to put a horse down, if I thought it needed to be done. Part of the problem was what to do with his body. No tractor and no way to drag it out easily and no where to put it. I don't need a dead horse on the place, even back in the woods or far back in the pasture, especially if we are going to put it up for sale, and the weather was awful. No reason to cause him to suffer though, and that played heavily on my mind too. Exactly 52 years ago, we put my first horse down due to a compound fracture of his back leg. No way to get anyone in with a backhoe, and again, it was horrible weather. So, Jody and my dad burned him, which took about 3 days, and was horrible for all concerned.

I based my decision on his demeanor...he was bright, ate great, didn't seem to be suffering. Still every day, I agonized over what to do. He was able to lay down and get back up. Every morning, I held my breath when I went to check on him. Always feeling sick and guilty in the pit of my stomach, because I like the old horse so much and I didn't want him to suffer. I didn't want to go out there and find him worse.

My vet didn't offer any encouragement but she didn't go so far that she said not to give him a chance.

The mud has never been worse here. Part of it is because we had a layer of fine silt wash in during the flood. It made it a whole lot worse and all the rain we've had since Dec. 1st, and too, Jody being unable to help me.

So he is in the barn...and he seems to be doing great. The swelling had extended up to his hip. Even his sheath was swollen. Swelling is all but gone. He puts full weight on his leg and when he turns, he pivots on it with no problem.

He will be in the stall for at least another month and probably longer. I won't take him out until the mud dries up, but it is a 12 x 12 stall. He doesn't need to be moving around a lot.

One day I was out by the road and I found a little plastic horse. It was like one that is a toy....plastic...like you would find with a set of cowboys. This horse was a bucking horse. He had his head down and his left back leg up, so he looked like he was bucking. I don't know where it came from. I probably had one like this when I was a kid, but not this one, and that was a million years ago. I thought about Emery....the leg the plastic horse had up was the same leg that Emery had injured. I brought it in and put it in the window and a votive candle on each side. Every time I looked at it, I said, "I am so thankful that Emery is getting better every day"....even tho, at that time he wasn't. I know I looked at it a hundred times a day....still do. It made me feel better to know that at least he was constantly on my mind....even more than before. I don't know if this helped, but I truly believe it did.

I am sorry this is so long. I know a lot of people have commented on Emery, and I just wanted to let them know how he is doing.

Comments (33)