SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottt1

Removing paint from stucco exterior (is this even possible?)

dottt1
6 years ago

My house is a 4 bedroom, early 80's, fairly generic tudor-ish, stucco and brick building. About 20 years ago, it was painted with a cheap, thin coat of acrylic. Wish I could turn back time and not have done that. So now, after removing a sunroom and crumbling cement patio, it is in need of stucco repair. I would like to have the paint removed, go back to the pigmented non-synthetic stucco and then just fog coat to refresh and help blend the repairs. But I've looked into the paint removal and find that nothing sounds good: sand and soda blasting are too messy / damaging (same with power washing), strippers are a nightmare for a house this size.

Hate the thought that we will pay for that one paint mistake for all time and are locked into continuing to paint (with each layer further compromising the ability of the stucco to breathe). Also looked into re-siding, but the cost is so high. Also looked at one brand of mineral-based paint (Keim) that claims to have only a gram of synthetic (acrylate) per gallon and can be put down over acrylic on stucco exteriors thus giving sort of a natural exterior back (and at least not compromising the breathability of the stucco any further. It is very, very expensive paint.

So, anyone out there have a way to get that darned paint off? I was washing a pet kennel in the driveway one day and accidentally hit a wall with the power washer. The paint did start coming off. But to do a whole house that way?? And what if water gets in where you don't want it to? Very scary. Would greatly appreciate advice!

Comments (14)