SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_monte

Emergency help with 20 y/o Thanksgiving cactus!

Lisa Monte (CO, Zone 5b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all! I acquired a 20~ year old Thanksgiving cactus about 2.5 months ago. He appeared to be in excellent health. Since we brought him home, Ive only watered him once due to fear of rot... this pot keeps the soil damp for quite a long time.

Yesterday and today, 2 big old branches just popped off. Ive attached pictures showing the branches, still firm and in seemingly good health, as well as the bigger, older woody segments where the branch broke off at the soil level. Actually the bottom broke off into a couple individual segments, shown in the pics.

I've felt around and the segments dont appear soft or rotted. Some of them do look dried up though?

I also noticed one of the branches that is still attached, has some wrinkly and limp segments at its end.

What is going on!? I don't have a ton of experience with these. I DO NOT want to lose this plant... I love it! I have a feeling it needs a different (more shallow, maybe terra cotta) pot? What about soil? The people I acquired it from said they repotted it into this pot last year.

Help please!!

Comments (22)